I just took off ALL my toppers!
Jan 15, 2008 3:44 AM
My back was increasingly getting worse and lately I know that between the 2" 4 lbs. memory foam and couple of latex layers, I could slowly feeling the pain in my lower back worsen to the point of feeling crippled in the morning when I got up. I liked the cushy feel of the memory foam...until I had to turn over. OUCH! My sacroiliac and lumbar region were not thanking me!

So off it all came. This will be my second night going "topperless". I took out the thin plywood I had previously put over my coils, as well. I'll report back as time goes on. :)
Re: I just took off ALL my toppers!
Reply #1 Jan 16, 2008 11:04 PM
Hi BeddyBye, I'm eagerly awaiting your report on going topperless. I've suspected for some time now that at least some of your back pain was due to too many comfort layers undermining your support.

You may see an improvement in your back pain at the expense of a sore hip however. If you find this is the case try adding just a little bit of comfort layer --You've got a lot to choose from.

What worked the best for me on my old super firm innerspring mattress was a 1" inch eggcrate (1" of medium to firm latex might  be an effective substiture) and 2" of 4lb memory foam. Under this I had a fiber pad, which is not the same as a fiber bed--much thinner but a little thicker and firmer than the average mattress protector/pad. This combination gave me enough cush to cradle my hip but did not undermine the nice firm support of the innerspring. Adding just one more inch of foam overdid it and my back started to hurt, so go easy.

Reply #2 Jan 17, 2008 1:43 AM
I like a very firm bed with only a little bit of cushion. I would have had such back aches if I had as much cushion as you had. I think you will be happier without any toppers or adding a 1" latex topper only.  Let us know how it is.
Reply #3 Jan 17, 2008 2:05 AM
I'm guessing it might be the memory foam that's exacerbating things. I also just ditched a 2 inch visco topper. It felt great to lie down on, but in the morning I would wake with an aching lower back. I've never had any back issues before, but I think that once you totally sink into the memory foam it locks you into a position possibly detrimental to your spine... I used to think it was "The Stuff", but I've since changed my mind...
Reply #4 Jan 18, 2008 12:12 AM
I'm thinking you're right about the memory foam. There's no denying it felt cushy and like a soft cloud, initially. Even into the wee hours of the morning it felt nice...as long as I didn't attempt to move. Then forget it! I definitely had back pain.

I really wanted to like this memory foam topper. I feel it's high quality from SleepWarehouse. But, it's just not a good match for me...at least the way I had it with all the other toppers at the same time. Who knows if it would have worked better on its own. I'm not going to put it back on to found out right now, though.

kimmcgov wrote:
I'm guessing it might be the memory foam that's exacerbating things. I also just ditched a 2 inch visco topper. It felt great to lie down on, but in the morning I would wake with an aching lower back. I've never had any back issues before, but I think that once you totally sink into the memory foam it locks you into a position possibly detrimental to your spine... I used to think it was "The Stuff", but I've since changed my mind...
Reply #5 Jan 18, 2008 12:22 AM
It's been a few nights on my topperless mattress and each night gets better. I woke up this morning feeling better than I have in a long time. I still some right sided pain, but I'm not so sure I can blame the mattress. At least I'm not experiencing that horrible pain as I did before when all the toppers were on. By the way, I did choose to keep the CuddleBed fiber topper on. That doesn't affect me like the foams do. It's nothing like a fiber/feather bed. I've tried those and I don't care for them.

I had thought if my actual mattress was virtually rock-hard underneath, that having softer toppers would be okay. The support would still be there. Apparently, that theory didn't work!

Your combination of toppers sounds similar to what I just took off.:) Besides the 1" 32 ILD latex and the 2" 4 lbs. memory foam topper, I also noticed an inch of the convoluted lower ILD latex from Overstock.com buried in the mix.

My hips and back are getting used to the firmer feel underneath. I admit, the cushiony toppers really felt comfy at times. But not at risk of hurting my back.

cloud9 wrote:
Hi BeddyBye, I'm eagerly awaiting your report on going topperless. I've suspected for some time now that at least some of your back pain was due to too many comfort layers undermining your support.You may see an improvement in your back pain at the expense of a sore hip however. If you find this is the case try adding just a little bit of comfort layer --You've got a lot to choose from. What worked the best for me on my old super firm innerspring mattress was a 1 inch eggcrate (1" of medium to firm latex might  be an effective substiture) and 2" of 4lb memory foam. Under this I had a fiber pad, which is not the same as a fiber bed--much thinner but a little thicker and firmer than the average mattress protector/pad. This combination gave me enough cush to cradle my hip but did not undermine the nice firm support of the innerspring. Adding just one more inch of foam overdid it and my back started to hurt, so go easy.
Reply #6 Jan 20, 2008 6:13 AM
Wow, you've gone from a pile of toppers to no toppers at all! I'm delighted that you finally seem to be getting to the bottom of your back pain--and it seems to be at top of all those toppers.

With my old innerspring mattress I started without using any toppers at all but over the years it seemed to get increasingly uncomfortable on my hips and I started adding comfort layers. 1st the fiber pad. Then one egg crate. Then another egg crate. Finally the 2" memory foam. That felt great initially--on my hips at least-- but after a few days my back started to hurt so I removed the softer of the two egg crates.

I don't know how firm your mattress is without all the foam layers. Mine was like a rock, and that was one of the things my back really liked about it. Unfortunately my hips weren't in agreement there. But even with the foam layers I still felt really firm back support underneath.

It's interesting that the cuddle bed used alone doesn't seem to be giving you any back pain. It could be the springy, spongy nature of foam itself that contributes to that. Fiber and feathers compact more firmly beneath the body. They're more supportive while at the same time providing a cushion between the hard springs of the mattress and your body. Almost makes me want to get that featherbed that always intrigued me... except I'd have to take a running jump to get into bed. And I really do like the feel of memory foam, even if it's only one inch at this point.

Good luck with going topperless. Please let us know how it works out after you've slept on it for awhile.

This message was modified Jan 20, 2008 by cloud9
Reply #7 Jan 21, 2008 7:44 PM
cloud9, I have to admit I do feel some hip discomfort during the night. But, it goes away in the morning. It's preferable to debilitating back pain that last all day. I wonder my hips would hurt more if I lost some of the "padding" on them. LOL

Since I took out the ultra-thin plywood I had placed over my coils, my mattress isn't as firm...although it's definitely not soft by any means. I have some fimer latex, as well as HD PU foam in there. I might consider tweaking that if it will make it wee bit cushier under my hips. I miss that marshmallow comfort of the memory foam/softer latex...however I don't want it if it means a sore back. Finding the happy medium is a challenge!

cloud9 wrote:
Wow, you've gone from a pile of toppers to no toppers at all! I'm delighted that you finally seem to be getting to the bottom of your back pain--and it seems to be at top of all those toppers. <p>With my old innerspring mattress I started without using any toppers at all but over the years it seemed to get increasingly uncomfortable on my hips and I started adding comfort layers. 1st the fiber pad. Then one egg crate. Then another egg crate. Finally the 2&quot; memory foam. That felt great initially--on my hips at least-- but after a few days my back started to hurt so I removed the softer of the two egg crates. </p><p>I don't know how firm your mattress is without all the foam layers. Mine was like a rock, and that was one of the things my back really liked about it. Unfortunately my hips weren't in agreement there. But even with the foam layers I still felt really firm back support underneath. </p><p>It's interesting that the cuddle bed used alone doesn't seem to be giving you any back pain. It could be the springy, spongy nature of foam itself that contributes to that. Fiber and feathers compact more firmly beneath the body. They're more supportive while at the same time providing a cushion between the hard springs of the mattress and your body. Almost makes me want to get that featherbed that always intrigued me... except I'd have to take a running jump to get into bed. And I really do like the feel of memory foam, even if it's only one inch at this point. </p><p>Good luck with going topperless. Please let us know how it works out after you've slept on it for awhile.

Recent Posts