I bought a very thin plywood sheet to put over my coils...
Sep 27, 2007 12:27 AM
So here's what I did. I went to Home Depot and bought two 36x78 sheets of something called Door Skin. A very thin and somewhat flexible plywood. I shaped the ends so they wouldn't poke into the mattress cover. I then laid them down directly over the coils and basically filling up the whole area.(one for my mattress and one for my husband's). I laid the 55 HR PU, the 45 HR PU and the 44 ILD talalaly latex over this and zippered it up. YEP. Definitely FIRM. I then added an Overstock not-quite-1 inch memory foam on top. Over that I added a 32 ILD latex topper. On top of that I put the Cuddle Bed thinner fiberbed pad. So, I'm anxious to see how it feels tonight! If it feels too firm, I might trade the 32 ILD topper for my 1" Overstock lower ILD topper. Maybe another layer of memory foam underneath. We'll see! If it's too soft, I'll subtract the fiber bed. Wish me luck! If this doesn't work...I'm not sure what to do next.
This message was modified Sep 27, 2007 by BeddyBye
Re: I bought a very thin plywood sheet to put over my coils...
Reply #1 Sep 27, 2007 9:29 AM
Foam Nerd
That should make it firm alright. Clever idea buying the door skins. If that's too firm, see if you can find a custom mattress maker who would sell you a piece of the fiber pad they use to adjust the firmness of innerspring units.

How would you compare the firmness of the 45 HR and the 44 latex?
Reply #2 Sep 28, 2007 12:15 PM
haysdb wrote:
That should make it firm alright. Clever idea buying the door skins. If that's too firm, see if you can find a custom mattress maker who would sell you a piece of the fiber pad they use to adjust the firmness of innerspring units.<BR><BR>How would you compare the firmness of the 45 HR and the 44 latex?

What a difference it made! The door skins along with the different mattress toppers and pads, I think I created myself a Heavenly bed! Seriously, it's firm, but with the extra top layers, it's comfortably cushy! My husband commented positively about it, too.

The 44 ILD talalaly latex just has a totally different feel than the 45 HR PU foam. Both are firm in their own way, but there's such a difference in latex compared to PU. I really haven't done a side-by-side comparison. One is just a "firm bouncy" and the other is a "firm stationery feel". No real movement like the latex. I like each of them for what they are. Then you throw the thin, 3 lb. visco foam into the mix and that's a whole other feeling! I think they work well as a team!
Reply #3 Sep 28, 2007 7:42 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
What a difference it made! The door skins along with the different mattress toppers and pads, I think I created myself a Heavenly bed! Seriously, it's firm, but with the extra top layers, it's comfortably cushy! My husband commented positively about it, too.<BR><BR>The 44 ILD talalaly latex just has a totally different feel than the 45 HR PU foam. Both are firm in their own way, but there's such a difference in latex compared to PU. I really haven't done a side-by-side comparison. One is just a &quot;firm bouncy&quot; and the other is a &quot;firm stationery feel&quot;. No real movement like the latex. I like each of them for what they are. Then you throw the thin, 3 lb. visco foam into the mix and that's a whole other feeling! I think they work well as a team!

Two blissful nights on my newly created "Heavenly" bed....and counting! Oh, I hope this is my answer. And, when I get this ol' cyst out from pressing on my lower back, it should be be ALL good! Maybe instead of borrowing the name Heavenly, I'll go with Celestial. :-)

Recent Posts