How to soften a latex mattress to improve shoulder pressure relief
Nov 4, 2013 4:15 PM
I have a latex mattress with a 6" Blended talalay core 32 ILD. On top of the latex core, I have tried a) 2" and b) 2" + 2" of all-natural latex ILD toppers (for clarity, two different configurations: 6" 32 ILD+ 2" 21 ILD.... or 6" 32 ILD + 2" 21 ILD + 2" 21 ILD). The cover is a stretch knit. No mattress protector yet.

From a hip / spinal support point of view, I find the 6" + 2" configuration too hard. With the 6" + 2" + 2" configuration, I find that hip / spinal support starts to suffer. Based on how these two configurations have felt, I suppose a 6" 32ILD + 3" 21 ILD configuration would probably be optimal in terms of hip / spinal support for me. 

But I have problems with how the mattress feels for my shoulders / arms. In both configurations, the mattress feels hard on my shoulders / arms. As a result, I toss and turn. I miss the pillowtop feeling of my former innerspring matters (although the support was poor for me).

Does anybody have recommendations for creating more of a "pillowtop" feeling for the latex mattress and improve pressure relief for shoulders / arms?

I have read that some of you have tried zoning and have experimented with memory foam and latex 14 ILD, over the other latex layers. Have you found those strategies to be effective?

Just FYI, I am an average body side sleeper. So shoulder / arm comfort is important in the mattress. Thanks very much.

Recent Posts