How do I begin?
Oct 16, 2007 3:59 PM
I have Fibromyalgia, and I finally got approved for SSI so I have some money with which to purchase a new bed.

At the present moment, I'm sleeping on   a decent "pillowtop" conventional mattress that my parents bought for my daughter, and my daughter is sleeping on a REALLY worn out mattress with the bottom half of a highriser for the frame. My son is on the top half of the highriser with a less worn-out, but still old, mattress. My other daughter is using the pillowtop mattress that was purchased for her initially (my parents bought the girls matching beds before my son was born.)

I was thinking of getting a new bed for myself., giving my daughter back her bed, and getting some kind of topper for my son's bed.

I think I want a latex bed. I remember sleeping on a foam mattress years ago when visiting relatives in Israel, and liking it. I'm also partial to foam pillows. However, with the FMS comes extreme chemical sensitivity. I don't know whether or not I'd be able to tolerate a mattress made with any synthetic materials. But then I read that Talalay latex is higher quality and just works better, but isn't 100% natural. I need BOTH "chemical free" and "supportive" in a bed.

If I purchase a new latex mattress, would I need a new frame? Or would the "high riser bottom" be good enough? Would a slatted bed fram from Ikea be adequate, even if I purchase a mattress elsewhere?

Could I put together a bunch of  "mattress toppers" from eBay and create my own mattress? Maybe top that with a wool topper, put a mattress cover over the whole thing and call it a day? Or do I need to purchase an actual 'latex mattress"?

Recent Posts