Help! If you have Latex/Costco Bed, please reply
Feb 16, 2010 6:39 PM
I didnt switch it when i got it and am lead to believe i therefore have the soft side up, right?

Assuming so, has anyone flipped it and if so was it noticeably firmer?  too much?  etc?

thanks!

(i now have a one inch foam, sensus/overstock-pink on there and i am experiencing slight low back issues, not bad yet but thinking maybe firmer but dont know)
Re: Help! If you have Latex/Costco Bed, please reply
Reply #11 Feb 17, 2010 5:03 PM
Oops I thought it was randy who replied to my above first and second posts. But no randy did not reply.
I found out through other costco latex mattress buyer that the mattress is soft
and that it is not for people who have low back pain.  just tried to conform that here. thanks.
Reply #12 Feb 17, 2010 7:36 PM
lowbacpain wrote:
Oops I thought it was randy who replied to my above first and second posts. But no randy did not reply.
I found out through other costco latex mattress buyer that the mattress is soft
and that it is not for people who have low back pain.  just tried to conform that here. thanks.

That is a gross generalization.  The Costco bed, which I have not tried, has a firm side and a soft side.  And the firmness level needed by an individual is not driven solely by whether they are experiencing back or hip pain, it is also dependent on weight and by that individual's unique physical issues . . . something that will be much too soft for me, at over 200 lbs and with back and hip issues, might be just fine for someone who weighs less and has a different underlying ailment.

Furthermore, several people who have the Costco latex bed have reported back that the mattress feels firm.

Thanks for yet another general and uninformative post.
This message was modified Feb 17, 2010 by KimberlyH
Reply #13 Feb 17, 2010 10:09 PM
Truth be said, I love you Kim. This bed was too firm for me at close to 300 lbs. I tried a 2 inch latex topper on my air bed, too fiem. Put on a gray, squishy thing from Overstock and two fiber beds at least 5 inches thick. Feels pretty good but I'm not ready to report yet. My "jest" is, is fiber better for tingle or no? How much fiber? Sure, I'd love to try 5 inches of wool but it's $2000.00

Kim, I am real and I will post all of my different beds and the high-bed I came up with!

alice

Reply #14 Feb 20, 2010 1:08 PM
I have been sleeping on this bed since the end of December. It is firmer than I expected. Firmer than my wife would like. My back feels better since getting this bed but still a little stiff sometimes. I wonder if it might be a little too firm for a stomach sleeper like myself. Do others think a topper might help?
Reply #15 Feb 20, 2010 1:24 PM
iSpartan wrote:
I have been sleeping on this bed since the end of December. It is firmer than I expected. Firmer than my wife would like. My back feels better since getting this bed but still a little stiff sometimes. I wonder if it might be a little too firm for a stomach sleeper like myself. Do others think a topper might help?

Yes, you might want to try adding 1" of talalay latex.  That is softer and plusher than the dunlop in the Costco.  It is hard to say what firmness, the range would probably be 14-24.  I tend to find 24 a bit firm on the top layer, but everyone is different.  19 might be good compromise.  Sleeplikeabear.com has 1" blended talalay pieces from 14-44.   I believe you can return within 30 days if it does not work.  Sleepez and rockymountainmattress also have 1", but not below 20 ILD in talalay.

I would start with 1" if it seems pretty close.  You can always add another inch.   Not sure how too firm affects a stomach sleeper.  You may have to research that.

Memory foam can give a soft plush feel, but does not offer much support.  If you are already having back issues, I might be cautious about going with memory foam.

Reply #16 Feb 22, 2010 2:18 PM
Randy, I'm in similar situation...   using 1" memory foam on the CalKing latext from costco.  recently experienced some low back pain again, so I experimented with taking the topper off again last night.  I have the SOFTER side up now (it was shipped with the FIRM side up, and I flipped it).

My wife thinks it is still too firm (even with the softer side up), so I will likely look for a cushy mattress cover/pad, but I think I will avoid the memory/latex toppers, and focus on getting a pillow that works well for me.

FYI, the biggest problem I seem to have is when I sleep for more than 6 hours.  not sure if I am in deep sleep for first 6 and don't roll much, perhaps I roll to my back after 6 hours, dunno.  perhaps my back just gets incrementally worse as the number of hours go... or perhaps I sink in just a little too much as the bed softens through the night.  I woke up with no pain after 6 hours on my side with no topper.  tonight I will try for 8 hours in same position and see what happens.

Reply #17 Feb 22, 2010 2:42 PM
6 hours of sleep without waking; are you bleeping kidding me, you are complaining???? I would give my last dollar for 6 hours of blissful sleep without waking in pain after 2-3 hours. 
This message was modified Feb 22, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #18 Feb 22, 2010 6:38 PM
just paid $60 to flip the mattress so it better have been on the soft side 

i am unable to do it myself or would have even more back problems

this is crazy, but if i or we didnt have this to deal with it would be something else...i guess we can all just be grateful to be alive...
Reply #19 Feb 23, 2010 3:06 AM
I am side sleeper and my current mattress is killing me . My relatives think low back pain is all in my head and that I am exaggerating it but it is killing me and they treat me with contempt, disgust and cuss words like I am good for nothing. Life is hell.
Reply #20 Feb 23, 2010 9:28 PM
Leo3, you changed my life! That piece on mystery hip pain really brought it together for me. As soon as I made a few simple changes I began to feel better. I am deeply humbled by this and so very grateful for all that I've learned here. I am making my own toilet seat and have found numerous posts asking where to buy a flat seat. They are not to be found because there are none. I'm using a 5/8 inch plywood, oh, it's gonna be a beauty!

lowbackpain, my heart goes out to you. Have you tried compression? Bed, Bath and Beyond sells those do-it-yourself dealy-ohs that they show on TV. You lie down and put your legs over it and it stretchs you and your spine out. At least that's the thought. Then there are the blue Mircle Balls, you can Google them. Also stretches your muscles, elongates them. I'm sure you've tried just about everything. The gal that sells the Blue Balls healed herself with these balls. I like them.

I can't report on my bed because it's not "there" yet but when I get there I'll be sure to post it.

That tip, Leo3, again, thank you a million times over. Did I tell you it came for my BD!

Alice

Being a product of the 60's I lose these posts on a regular basis so if I don't reply to you I am very, very sorry.

Recent Posts