Help with upper back pain - new mattress
May 6, 2012 3:00 PM
I have had my new mattress for 9 days and have been waking up after about 5 hours of sleep with shoulder and upper back pain.  When I called the salesman he said it was common and to give it a couple of weeks.  Luckily I think, the mattress I purchased - Verlo; a local company - allows for one free comfort adjustment in the first 6 months of ownership.  You can comfort adjust all you want, but only the first one is free.  The bed feels fine to me when I get in - not too soft, not too firm; I'm not too picky about that.  It's just later that I wake up in pain.  If I were to change the comfort layer, what should I do to relieve this pain - make it softer or firmer?  Thanks for any help you can give.

Anyway - a bit about me.  I'm heavy - 5'8" and 230lbs.  I sleep on my back and my sides.  The mattress I own is a flipable one:  Here's the link http://www.verlo.com/product/1/K/2  I don't know if that will help any.  Here's the text:

The Ashford utilizes Talalay latex, which has an open-cell structure, ensures conformity with your body. Talalay latex also promotes air circulation through and within it, to keep you cooler in summer and warmer during cool winter nights.

Innovative Innerspring Construction

• Scientifically designed multiple gauge open-end posturized innerspring construction to prevent sagging
  • Features alternating coil row design with coils alternating side-to-side
  • Exclusive IntraTouch Sleep Technology combines contoured upholstery layers and innerspring zoning
  • Proprietary 5-zone, twice tempered coil innerspring system
  • High-tensile steel 6-gauge border rod
  • Reinforced perimeter supports to prevent edge breakdown
  • Designed with an all-steel wire foundation to give extra support

World's Finest Raw Materials

• Features thermally bonded cotton felt layers for longer-lasting comfort, support and durability
  • Plush tack-and-jump quilted pattern
  • Talalay latex topper cultivates comfort and support
  • Bamboo and silk ticking provide the comfort and temperature regulating benefits of bamboo fibers as well as the soft touch of silk

Made Just for Youÿ

• Personalized build variations and customized options
  • The easy flip design allows you to flip and turn the mattress for a longer and more comfortable mattress life

Recent Posts