Help! How long does it take to get use to a new mattress?
Nov 20, 2010 11:54 AM
We bought a new mattress from Natura World, it is a NaturaLatex Serene Luxury (http://www.naturaworld.com/mattress-serene-lux),  we have had it for 4 days now and we wake up with our backs hurting.  For the last 2 nights my husband had to go sleep elsewhere in the middle of the night.  My question - does it take sometime for you to adjust to a new bed?  This bed does not have springs, like our old one, which was 12 years old and in pretty bad condition.  Unfortunately, we can not return this mattess.  We thought we had picked the right one.  Any suggestions?
Re: Help! How long does it take to get use to a new mattress?
Reply #1 Nov 20, 2010 12:22 PM
Yes, there can be an adjustment period.  But that said, if you posted your weights we might be able to help you figure out if the mattress is too hard or too soft.  If too hard a topper might help, if too soft not much can be done.
Reply #2 Nov 20, 2010 3:15 PM
IMO you have one advantage in that there is 4" of latex close to the top. While Budgy could probably get more specific, the latex appears to be 2" of soft over 2" of medium ... don't know the ILD.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Diane here (and probably many others :)) but IMO, because of the resiliency of latex itself, all levels of softness/firmness can provide support (spinal alignment). It is simply a matter of how far and how evenly you sink into the mattress to get it. Sometimes "firming up" a latex mattress can cause pressure issues if you need firmer latex on top but you can almost always get to a place of correct alignment (unlike an innerspring with soft or degraded poly). This is a little more difficult in your case because of the layers above and below the latex but still doable IMO since the poly above is only 1" and below is almost certainly firm.

The first step is to try to determine why your back is hurting. The most likely cause (but by no means the only one) is that your hips are sinking in too far and causing a hammock effect and putting your spine out of alignment.

If you are a side sleeper, then lay on your side and have someone check to see if they can see if your spine is straight or if it looks like part of you is sinking in too far. If you are a back sleeper then have someone look at your natural spinal curvature while you are standing up straight with good posture and then have them check to see if that curvature is similar laying on the mattress.

As Diane mentioned, it would help to know your height/weight and general weight distribution.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 20, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #3 Nov 20, 2010 10:08 PM
Thank you for your feedback......I am 135 lbs and my husband is around 200 lbs. When we lie on it feels great but after awhile the hurt comes on.  We are both back and side sleepers.
Reply #4 Nov 20, 2010 10:10 PM
I forgot our heights....I am 5 feet 3 inches and he just under 6 feet tall. Thanks again. 
Reply #5 Nov 21, 2010 12:53 PM
Where do your backs hurt - lumbar (lower) or thoracic (middle)?  Any issues with neck or shoulders?  Anybody's arms or hip points going numb? Does the bed have a different "feel" in the morning vs. evening, i.e does it feel softer or firmer before and after it has been slept in?
Reply #6 Nov 30, 2010 1:44 AM
Sleep is overrated and under appreciated.
From what I understand from researching our current mattress, it could take 2-3 weeks for your body to adjust to the new mattress.

My wife and I went about as long as you did with our old one and we did not know how bad we needed a new one until we slept on our new one, a Scandinavian Anniversary queen set.

Truly, we loved the bed from the moment we laid on it, compared to dozens of other models on the floor at The Sleep Center in Panama City. I will admit though, the first few nights were quite interesting and it did take about a week to fully appreciate the new setup. With this being our first non-spring mattress, it was a new experience and something that we now love dearly.

My thoughts would be that ANY decent mattress company would provide at least a 30 day return policy to trade out for a model that fits you both correctly. The Sleep Center insited that no matter how long we laid on the floor models, once we had it home, we may not love it like in the store and for us to call them and they would come pick it up, allow us to pick a different model, and set it all back up free of charge! That made us feel quite comfortable (pun intended) about trying the new-age springless technologies. 

If you are in need of experienced sleep professionals, I would look them up. Not sure if there is a store in your area or not, but the link I provided goes to their national eStore that ships for free all over.

Lastly, if you cannot return the current one and get the right mattress, you could try to sell it while it is new for a few hundred off, or look into the mattress toppers that Tempur-Pedic and others make that can change the feel of a mattress. Then, once the mattress breaks in, you may not need the topper anymore and have the perfect feel!

Best wishes with getting to sleep together. lol

- James

This message was modified Nov 30, 2010 by a moderator
Reply #7 Nov 30, 2010 4:08 AM
Hmmm ......

Catch anything?

Phoenix

Reply #8 Nov 30, 2010 6:15 AM
Phoenix wrote:

Hmmm ......

Catch anything?

Phoenix

Not sure? lol

Am I missing something?

-James

Reply #9 Nov 30, 2010 2:12 PM
"Am I missing something?"

Nothing except the (now removed) links that were being "sprayed" around the forum like a cat ... that all led to the same place.

At least they didn't remove your entire posts.

Phoenix

Reply #10 Dec 1, 2010 4:19 AM
Phoenix wrote:

"Am I missing something?"

Nothing except the (now removed) links that were being "sprayed" around the forum like a cat ... that all led to the same place.

At least they didn't remove your entire posts.

Phoenix

That is pretty funny.

After several hours of my time being spent here reading threads before signing up, what I found was links, by users, to sites that sell mattresses all over the world. In a rather short amount of time, I found a easy dozen from you promoting the exact products and links (often to your friend's store), yet you say that I am spraying the site like a cat.! It is pretty funny, really. 

I THOUGHT that was what we did here....talk about our personal sleep products, what they are, where we bought them, and the overall experience with the whole process of finding and purchasing them. And after reading the stickied FAQ/rules, I understood them to say that "no self promotion by store owners" and "no linking by retailers/manufacturers" WHICH I AM NEITHER, yet you seem to be.

Further, I am by no means here to "take your perch as the top cat, or any cat for that matter, I was simply trying to give back to the site by joining and following along with the heard by posting my experiences as a consumer buying sleep products for the first time in a long while. And I was rewarding the store that gave me a most excellent buying experience. 

This post is not meant to start an issue with you, but I do take note of your position with me. Why not send me a private message and help me understand where I am in error as a new member versus calling my cat in heat? You seem to be helpful in posts to some members when talking about your products?

Best wishes bud.

Recent Posts