HELP building DIY mattress with 3" latex over 6" Poly foam base or just get 6" latex
Jan 12, 2011 3:38 PM
Hi, I am 40 and 6'2" and about 190 lbs.  I equally sleep on back and skid and like a firm mattress and have lower back problems.  I don't have disc, etc. problems but my muscles get fatigued very easily when doing any activity and they will also go out and spasm easily.  I don't have much selection in my area, I liked the extra firm Simmons beautyrest at couple of stores.  This weekend I plan on going to Minneapolis to try some all latex in dunlop and taladay.  

I am using a queen waterbed foundation and right now using a 5" extra firm Poly base that is from JCpenney and an old 6 inch Poly foam mattress my parents had which is surprisingly still in decent shape.  I like the feeling of sleeping on foam and like feeling of the tempurpedic beds and all latex bed that I tried in store before.  I did try a 3" memory foam topper on the PU foam few years ago and didn't like the sinking in by end of night.  

I am on a limited budget and hope to keep total as low as possible.  I plan on buying a 3" latex and put it on my poly base and sometime later in next year replace the base with a 6" lux 50 ILD poly from foamdistributing.  Or I could get 6" of latex in two 3" layers and just sleep on that but I am not sure if that would be thick enough but it might be?  I could get another 3" down the road when my budget allows for it.  If I did that I could get bottom layer of 44ILD or 36 ILD dunlop and top layer of 31 or 36 dunlop.  

Right now I am looking at few options.  Either 3" 32ILD from foambymail or a 3" 31 ILD or 36 ILD dunlop from foamorder.  If I get 3" latex over 6" poly I also worry that the 36 ILD poly from foamdistributing wouldn't be firm enough but that the 50 ILD lux might be too firm?  But I have seen a few people happy with a DIY mattress using 3" 32 ILD from FBM over 6" of 50 ILD.  

Anyone know why the dunlop from foamorder shows it as 2.8 inches?  Also I wasn't really looking at dunlop after seeing that video on flobeds showing a piece of dunlop that was compressed for 4 years as seen here http://www.flobeds.com/TalalayVsDunlop.htm.  But I think I may like the dunlop and will have a better idea after trying some in store this weekend.

So to summarize:

1) Use 6" premium poly of 36 or 50 ILD as base

2) 3" of foambymail 32 ILD or 3" dunlop 31 ILD or 3" dunlop 36 ILD over the 6" poly base

3) Forget #1 and #2 and just sleep on 6" latex with idea of getting more latex in future.  Would either use 36 or 44 ILD dunlop in bottom and 31 or 36 ILD dunlop on top or the          32ILD from foambymail.  

I would appreciate any opinions and suggestions.  

Recent Posts