Haysdb, are you there? I have a question re; fiber pad for over coils...
Oct 29, 2007 12:55 AM
Haysdb, do you know where I might be able to get one of those firm, fiber pads or whatever it was you mentioned? This would be to put over my coils to see if they might give me extra firm suppprt--maybe just not as rigid as what the 1/8" doorskin plywood is doing now. I'm finding that in order not to bottom out and feel the hardness underneath, I need to build it up with more comfort layers. One can only have so many toppers on a bed!

I read Cloud9 and Mequoin Jim's suggestion about maybe having too many toppers, hence giving me a feeling of sinking in, thereby causing back pain. While I agree that I need to lose some of these toppers, I have to say I'm not experiencing that kind of back pain one gets from tossing and turning all night to "get out of the sinkhole" of luxury layers. Not at all. Thank God! I just think the configuration of layers I have on top of this really firm mattress is very comfortable. But, two things: My lower right back still hurts, all day. Going to have it checked out with next post-op appt. The other thing, even though these layers ARE comfy, there are just too MANY of them! My sheets won't fit over everything. An, I would like to not have to rely on so many toppers.

So, I figure in order for that to happen, I'll need something a little less rigid atop my coils. Haysdb suggested the fiber-thing. Where do you think I can buy something like this for an XL long twin mattress? AND, do you think it would be firm enough? I don't want it to be so flexible that it's not giving me the extra firm base I need. Anyway, if I do something like this, I might not need so many comfort layers.
Re: Haysdb, are you there? I have a question re; fiber pad for over coils...
Reply #1 Oct 29, 2007 5:17 AM
Not Hays, but... You poor thing. You're trying everything to get some relief -- in fact, you could probably open a store with all the things you've acquired in your search. Your mattress guy could probably get that fiber mat for you, but I think perhaps before you shell out for yet another item that may or may not provide the comfort you are looking for, you should see an orthopedic doctor. He or she can get to the bottom of your back pain, get you some treatment for it and point you in the right direction with your bedding issues. Otherwise it seems you are just grasping at straws and still struggling with pain no matter what you do. 
Reply #2 Oct 29, 2007 9:34 AM
Foam Nerd
You would probably only find this at a custom mattress maker. It can be used to make a VERY firm mattress, on top of the same springs that can feel very accommodating. I experienced this first hand at a Verlo mattress store.
Reply #3 Oct 29, 2007 9:25 PM
Thanks. It wouldn't make it firmer than the doorskin, would it? May I ask what the exact name of it is?

haysdb wrote:
You would probably only find this at a custom mattress maker. It can be used to make a VERY firm mattress, on top of the same springs that can feel very accommodating. I experienced this first hand at a Verlo mattress store.
Reply #4 Oct 29, 2007 9:35 PM
Hi Cloud9,

Last night was actually pretty good! I iced my back and then applied heat. I also broke down and took two of the Percocet I was given after surgery. I don't like to take narcotics, if I can help it. Also, earlier in the evening, I moved a couple toppers around on my mattress and that seemed to make a difference, as well. A wee bit softer for side-sleeping. And, yet not so conforming that I sunk in. The memory foam over latex is a nice mix. And, the Cuddle Bed holding it all together. This morning was the first time I actually lay there and didn't want to get up. Usually, by then I'm tossing and turning so much, I just go ahead and get up. Tonight I'm not going to take the Percocet. I'll take some Ibuprofen, though. I don't like to take anything like Tylenol PM (Benadryl for sleeping) because it makes me groggy the next day. So, we shall see!

When I see my surgeons for my next post-op appt. and if this right sided back pain is still there, I'll mention it and ask if some ligaments could have been tweaked when they were in there. Or a muscle. If not, I'll get a referral for a catscan or something that will let me know what's going on. I'll get this taken care of yet!

Thanks.;-)

cloud9 wrote:
Not Hays, but... You poor thing. You're trying everything to get some relief -- in fact, you could probably open a store with all the things you've acquired in your search. Your mattress guy could probably get that fiber mat for you, but I think perhaps before you shell out for yet another item that may or may not provide the comfort you are looking for, you should see an orthopedic doctor. He or she can get to the bottom of your back pain, get you some treatment for it and point you in the right direction with your bedding issues. Otherwise it seems you are just grasping at straws and still struggling with pain no matter what you do. 
Reply #5 Oct 30, 2007 1:05 PM
Foam Nerd
BeddyBye wrote:
Thanks. It wouldn't make it firmer than the doorskin, would it? May I ask what the exact name of it is?

I wouldn't think so, no. I'm sorry, I do not know what it's called.
Reply #6 Oct 30, 2007 1:17 PM
Well, another good night of sleep. Just took a Motrin. I'm wondering if putting ice and heat before bed on my back is helping. And, maybe switching around the comfort layers contributed. I won't question it! I just hope it lasts! I read that an achy back can be a problem after this surgery. Weaker abdominal muscles, surgery positioning, etc. Who knows!

So, we'll see! Thanks. :)

haysdb wrote:
I wouldn't think so, no. I'm sorry, I do not know what it's called.
Reply #7 Oct 31, 2007 1:53 AM
BeddyBye,

I do hope you feel much better soon.  I haven't been on the forum but I did read your posts from time to time and wasn't aware you had a hysterectomy.  I live with ovarian cysts that come and go, but they are being "watched," so to speak (I just turned 53...and believe it or not have NOT gone through menopause and I still hemmorhage.)

I would not tweak your bed too much at this time, for several reasons.  First, changing the comfort layers could be masking something a back problem, maybe even just a slight muscle strain with your lower back.  The opposite is true, too.  By changing the layers, you could be causing a new back problem that would not have existed before had you left it alone.   By changing your bed, you won't know what is causing any discomfort or pain.  Also, any unecessary lifting is probably best avoided for awhile, and maybe you can find someone...a friend perhaps...who can help you adjust the comfort layers on your bed.

BTW, I use a large number of comfort layers similar to your setup, except I use a two inch 4 lb. MF topper on the bottom against the mattress.  On top of that I use two Overstock latex toppers inside a cotton cover.  On top of that use a MF five-zoned topper, that one goes against me and is only one inch thick.  So I sleep on about 5 inches of toppers.  I have a Sleep Number bed which I adjust to firm, if the comfort layers are too soft or I want to sleep on my stomach (which is a VERY rare event since I have scoliosis).  If you are unable to adjust your underlying support for firmness, than having too many comfort layers may cause a hammocking effect.

What position are you sleeping in right now?  My feeling is you should probably sleep on your side, because you relieve any pressure against your lower back.    Just make sure to use a pillow between your knees, and always use a low soft pillow under the curve in your neck, to provide support.  If your neck is strained, in addition to headaches it can cause pain all the way down to your lower back as well.  If you don't have a pillow thin enough for your neck, try this: Take one or two soft pillowcases and I roll them up and use those under your neck in place of a cervical pillow.  That's what I do, in place of a pillow because most cervical pillows are simply too firm or too thick.  I'm a back sleeper, and using pillowcases fills in the area of my neck eliminating strain.

Physical therapy sounds like a good idea if your doctor ok's it.  It's possible some pain/discomfort is unrelated to your surgery and can be referred pain from a back sprain or even a muscle spasm, which is manifesting itself on your right side because you're sensitive there now from the surgery.   

Feel better soon...

All the best,

Bonnie

Reply #8 Oct 31, 2007 5:47 AM
BeddyBye,

How's it going without the Percocet? It would be nice to think you've found the right combination of toppers but it could be the medication masking the pain. I often find changing things around or taking a Motrin works for a few days and then things start to go down hill again.

So right now you've got the memory foam over the latex and the cuddle bed is where? Sounds very cozy. I love it when I'm so comfy I don't want to get out of bed in the morning. Honestly I haven't felt that way since the last time I slept on my old double sided mattress-- which was ironically also the day the latex mattress from hell arrived at my front door.

I found Bonnie's comment, "By changing the layers, you could be causing a new back problem that would not have existed before had you left it alone." particularly interesting, since after spending 6 weeks struggling with the latex mattress my back has never seemed to recover to the point it was before. And it's been five months now. She may have a very good point. That the wrong mattress or combination of toppers can exacerbate a problem or even create an entirely new one.

Something to think about!  

Recent Posts