Have you tried 5lb memory foam?
Feb 7, 2008 2:40 PM
I've tried 3lb and 4lb but never 5lb memory foam.

I'm interested in possibly adding 2" of it to my shoulder section of my tri-zoned home made mattress.

Aside from being interested in anyone's experience and description of it, I also have this question:

With 5lb memory foam,  how would two one-inch layers differ from one two-inch layer? I always prefer to buy in layers when I can, for more options of adjusting my mattress. But I wonder sometimes if I lose something in the translation, and I am especially wondering this about memory foam...

Re: Have you tried 5lb memory foam?
Reply #1 Feb 7, 2008 6:08 PM
I have slept on Sensus, which is a 5lb. memory foam.  It feels like you are sleeping in a marshmallow.  I wouldn't go thicker than 2" with it.
Reply #2 Feb 8, 2008 11:35 PM
No, I have no intention of going more than 2" with it. In fact, I'd probably prefer to buy just 1" or 1 and 1/2" thickness.

I love the feel of memory foam, but the problem is, it seems to give no support and you just sink down into it. I thought maybe the 5lb type might push back some...

Reply #3 Feb 9, 2008 2:39 AM
I WANT to like it and at times I actually DO love the cozy, extra-cushiony, marshmallow feel. BUT, sometime during the night, my back begins to protest. I'm sure it's because I'm laying in one position for so long and my muscles have to work so hard to trying to move out of the memory hole.

jimsocal wrote:
No, I have no intention of going more than 2&quot; with it. In fact, I'd probably prefer to buy just 1&quot; or 1 and 1/2&quot; thickness.</p><p>I love the feel of memory foam, but the problem is, it seems to give no support and you just sink down into it. I thought maybe the 5lb type might push back some...
Reply #4 Feb 9, 2008 11:16 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
I WANT to like it and at times I actually DO love the cozy, extra-cushiony, marshmallow feel. BUT, sometime during the night, my back begins to protest. I'm sure it's because I'm laying in one position for so long and my muscles have to work so hard to trying to move out of the memory hole.

That's a good theory... What depth and lb. of foam did you use? 5lb? 2"? I definitely think 3" is too much and anything under 5lb would be too soft.

Maybe even 5lb is too soft! What I am experimenting with now is a 3/4-1" layer cheap mem.foam topper either at my shoulders or at my shoulders AND my hips.

For some reason, like you say, I WANT to like memory foam and I'd like to at least TRY a 2" mem foam topper. Do you think 2x1" memory foam toppers on top of each other is equal to 1x 2" topper? Also, except for Tempurpedic's too thick mem foam mattress, I've never tried the 5lb stuff.

Recent Posts