Have Credit @ Sleepy's........Need some help to pick a Stearns & Foster
Apr 2, 2008 2:35 PM
So, I have a Stearns & Foster Nottoway firm mattress with pillowtop that was purchased a little under 2 years ago. The pillowtop has basically collapsed and Sleepy's has issued me credit for a new mattress. I do NOT want to go with a pillow top again as I just don't trust them anymore.

In order to keep my full warranty in effect (not replacing box spring as it is fine) I need to pick another S&F mattress and have no idea what is out there today.

My wife & I are both side sleepers, and I have neck/back injury.

We both like a firm mattress but comfort is also needed.

Queen size.

Thoughts?
This message was modified Apr 2, 2008 by jh225
Re: Have Credit @ Sleepy's........Need some help to pick a Stearns & Foster
Reply #1 Apr 2, 2008 5:10 PM
jh225 wrote:
So, I have a Stearns & Foster Nottoway firm mattress with pillowtop that was purchased a little under 2 years ago. The pillowtop has basically collapsed and Sleepy's has issued me credit for a new mattress. I do NOT want to go with a pillow top again as I just don't trust them anymore.

In order to keep my full warranty in effect (not replacing box spring as it is fine) I need to pick another S&F mattress and have no idea what is out there today.

My wife & I are both side sleepers, and I have neck/back injury.

We both like a firm mattress but comfort is also needed.

Queen size.

Thoughts?

The "S" brands get a lot of criticism here, although I have recently seen favorable comments about some of their newest latex offerings. Sealy owns S&F, btw, and their latex mattresses correspond to one another. Besides the info you might gather here, there is a S&F blog RSS feed at http://blog.pennlive.com/mattress/stearns_foster/ that I think you might find very helpful for sorting out the various S&F models and their characteristics.

Philly888

Reply #2 Apr 2, 2008 5:32 PM
I would also try out the S&F latex beds to see if one can replace your pillow top.
Reply #3 Apr 3, 2008 5:45 PM
Get something firm with very little padding and customize it yourself with a topper (or toppers). Unless you are spending thousands of dollars on a mattress, they ALL are made with low end foam that will start breaking down in a few months, or sooner. If your topper wears out it's, a lot easier and cheaper to replace than an entire mattress...
Reply #4 Apr 3, 2008 6:11 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
I would also try out the S&F latex beds to see if one can replace your pillow top.

Well, I would love to get a S&F latex. Too bad Sleepys doesn't carry them. I called S&F HQ, Sleepys HQ today and Sleepys does not carry nor will they be carrying S&F latex mattress. The new ones come out in May and they will not be carrying those either. Sleepys tells me I can not get a refund, and I have 30 days to use my credit. I least I got full credit for the mattress.

Looks like I will have to get a S&F innerspring in a firm or cushion firm and get a latex topper.  I will probably get 2 of those JC Penney ones people are raving about and trim to fit my queen.
Reply #5 Apr 3, 2008 11:46 PM
JH225, I would then choose the Firm S&F innerspring and get a latex topper to have the innerspring last the longest by having the least cheap foam in it.   Brylane also has a nice 1" Talalay Latex Topper that would help cushion up the Innerspring.  I had no idea that Sleepies did not sell the S&F Latex. But I think the set up of a latex topper over a very firm innerspring would work well for you.   I have allergies and the fire retardant stuff they use and the polyurethane bothered my allergies so I went with a 100% Talalay Latex Bed from FloBeds but if you do not have allergies, I think you will be comfortable adjusting the comfort level to your liking.Please keep us updated.   Please keep us updated.
Reply #6 Apr 5, 2008 10:36 PM
Well, wound up swapping out my defective pillow top for a S&F Manhattan Reserve (cushion firm) from Sleepys Plaza line.

Made the deal at a store last night and they delivered it today. Got to give them credit for the swift delivery being that it came from Long Island 3 hrs away from me.

It is a pretty firm mattress and we will see how it sleeps tonight. I have the Dream Coil topper coming, so I will be able to try both ways.

Time will tell.
Reply #7 Apr 6, 2008 12:45 AM
jh225, The S&F Manhattan Reserve sounds like a good swap. Cushion Firm is comfortable with good support and if a little bit too firm for you, you can always add a topper.  Let us know how you like your new bed.

Recent Posts