Hastens - Yay or Nay
Feb 25, 2008 2:28 PM
I dunno if it's the horsehair topper or the mattress/spring bedspring combo but it's a winner !

Whatever it is, I like it more than the Dux or Shifmans I tried
Love both the 2000T and Excelisor . The 2000T is like instant comfort and the Excelisor takes about 30 seconds for the comfort factor to sink in.....at a $8000 discount.

For those who have been in the same boat.....what other alternatives should I be looking it.
At this point, let's say 12 years at $1333 cost per year out of life of a good mattress, I'm willing to do that .....
Re: Hastens - Yay or Nay
Reply #3 Feb 25, 2008 8:58 PM
"Hastens really knows how to make a great bed. No smoke and mirrors with this company. Just quality materials made to last decades. This seems so much smarter than buying a series of disappointing beds during the same time frame to litter our landfills. Hastens gets it "right" the first time. No fussing with figuring out toppers or zones or anything else. Life is complicated enough! "

The 2000T may be great if you have an extra $12K to throw at a problem, only to have to replace the topper in 5-7 years (your figure, see below), but many are a bit more frugal. As you noted in your December post below "[m]any here have bought various comfort tops made of down, wool, horsehair, latex, and/or foam to put over unadorned mattresses and are very happy with them. You can always change out a worn out topper later, while keeping your mattress." And it's a lot cheaper than $12K or so. As IanS noted "[t]oday .... Hastens sadly seems to be only for the wealthy." That's a reasonably objective statement, especially since a comparable sleep experience can be created with a bit of work (better, in fact, since sounds like IanS now has a mattress which is a bit too soft). However, the statement about latex not being healthy is extremely subjective, and shared by very, very few, especially here.

BTW, surprised that your former Airloom, which lists at around $10K (though available for less than half) didn't make it past 10 years.

Your December post: "We just retired our Aireloom Rip Van Winkle Euro top mattress. It had a wool top on one side and a silk top on the other side. After 10 years, the body impressions were there to stay and the bed became not-so-comfortable. The mattress was hand stitched, and the box spring was 8-way hand-tied, so the construction was good. I think if it had not had a Euro top, we'd still be sleeping on it.
As many in this forum have discovered, comfort tops eventually break down, even though the mattresses underneath are still in good condition. Many here have bought various comfort tops made of down, wool, horsehair, latex, and/or foam to put over unadorned mattresses and are very happy with them. You can always change out a worn out topper later, while keeping your mattress.
We have been sleeping on our new Hastens 2000T for almost two weeks, and are enjoying it very much. It has a separate horsehair, wool and cotton topper which should be replaced every 5-7 years or so, but the mattress should last much, much longer."
Reply #4 Feb 26, 2008 8:45 AM
Followup:

Everyone looking for a mattress should spend some time on the sites of Hastens, Dux, etc.. But look for the big "take away" and ignore the b*llsh#t. The big take away IMO is 1) to focus on the high quality support systems, 2) avoid junk, easily compressible materials, 3) recognize that even the best materials can breakdown and need replacing (maybe 5-7 years on the Hastens topper). Replacing a topper may be OK, but spending $$$ in a relatively short period of time after you've spent $$$$$$ in the first place doesn't work for me. And, the b*llsh#t is stuff like the following from Hastens:

"You have probably noticed how much less sweaty you feel on a warm summer day when you wear a shirt or blouse made of cotton rather than one made from a synthetic material. This is due to cotton’s ability to ventilate and wick away perspiration and high humidity."

That's not what cotton does. Cotton is comfortable. It may wick away), but it also absorbs and holds. And if you sweat under cooler conditions you get clammy and cold. Cotton pretty much sucks compared to the latest merino wools (sold by Patagonia and others) or even the average quality wicking fleeces. I have a 10 year old spun polyester lightweight T (also Patagonia) which will run circles around any cotton T on a hot, humid day. It will wick away moisture and keep you dry, while the cotton T will absorb moisture, and hold it while you stew in your own juices. And while the newest high end merino wools (such as Patagonia) are great, they're not any better than the much cheaper synthetics. What they do offer to Patagonia, and others, is product/price differentiation. You can get ubiquitous poly fleece at Target, but you still have to pay $$$ for the merino from Patagonia. So recognize the marketing crap on the high end sites when you see statements such as that above. And also recognize that, as a poster above experienced with her $10K mattress-- handmade, silk, hand tied, gold plated, etc. won't necessarily make the mattress any better, because comfort materials will soften. And as you read everywhere about how everyone now is willing to spend $$$$$ on beds, which has resulted in the rapid growth of high end mattress companies, recognize that many newspapers are running these "independent" feature stories NOT out of the kindness of their hearts to inform the readers, but as incentives and support for those papers' advertising departments. When people read that others are spending $20K on a mattress, $2K for the locally available piece-of-crap $-brand seems like a real deal. And I'm sure everyone remembers how newspapers are chock full of mattress ads.

So if you want to spend $20K on a mattress, go for it. But you really don't have to do it, and you can obtain a good sleep experience for far, far less if you realize what's important, and what isn't.
Reply #5 Feb 27, 2008 2:00 AM
Also, cotton fiber attracts mold and dust mites. The woman from McRoskey told me that their mattress is not for someone who has a lot of moisture or mold in their home, particularly in the bedroom.

mccldwll wrote:
Followup:<BR><BR>Everyone looking for a mattress should spend some time on the sites of Hastens, Dux, etc.. But look for the big &quot;take away&quot; and ignore the b*llsh#t. The big take away IMO is 1) to focus on the high quality support systems, 2) avoid junk, easily compressible materials, 3) recognize that even the best materials can breakdown and need replacing (maybe 5-7 years on the Hastens topper). Replacing a topper may be OK, but spending $$$ in a relatively short period of time after you've spent $$$$$$ in the first place doesn't work for me. And, the b*llsh#t is stuff like the following from Hastens:<BR><BR>&quot;You have probably noticed how much less sweaty you feel on a warm summer day when you wear a shirt or blouse made of cotton rather than one made from a synthetic material. This is due to cotton’s ability to ventilate and wick away perspiration and high humidity.&quot;<BR><BR>That's not what cotton does. Cotton is comfortable. It may wick away), but it also absorbs and holds. And if you sweat under cooler conditions you get clammy and cold. Cotton pretty much sucks compared to the latest merino wools (sold by Patagonia and others) or even the average quality wicking fleeces. I have a 10 year old spun polyester lightweight T (also Patagonia) which will run circles around any cotton T on a hot, humid day. It will wick away moisture and keep you dry, while the cotton T will absorb moisture, and hold it while you stew in your own juices. And while the newest high end merino wools (such as Patagonia) are great, they're not any better than the much cheaper synthetics. What they do offer to Patagonia, and others, is product/price differentiation. You can get ubiquitous poly fleece at Target, but you still have to pay $$$ for the merino from Patagonia. So recognize the marketing crap on the high end sites when you see statements such as that above. And also recognize that, as a poster above experienced with her $10K mattress-- handmade, silk, hand tied, gold plated, etc. won't necessarily make the mattress any better, because comfort materials will soften. And as you read everywhere about how everyone now is willing to spend $$$$$ on beds, which has resulted in the rapid growth of high end mattress companies, recognize that many newspapers are running these &quot;independent&quot; feature stories NOT out of the kindness of their hearts to inform the readers, but as incentives and support for those papers' advertising departments. When people read that others are spending $20K on a mattress, $2K for the locally available piece-of-crap $-brand seems like a real deal. And I'm sure everyone remembers how newspapers are chock full of mattress ads.<BR><BR>So if you want to spend $20K on a mattress, go for it. But you really don't have to do it, and you can obtain a good sleep experience for far, far less if you realize what's important, and what isn't.
Reply #6 Feb 27, 2008 6:27 AM
To me is just a piece of very expensive marketing thing. Proof is that sellers are usually able to make good discounts on them.
I was about to buy an Excelsior few months ago wich was initially 12.000 Euro,with all the discounst the final price was 7.700 Euro. Still,I felt it was a bit too much for just a bed. Especially when I saw that for real. On their website/papers they all look elegant and squared,when you seen them in person they look like some sort of chequered bags filled with cotton balls. Sure they are comfy,but you can have the same comfort by saving tons of money. And still....isn't it nice to change things after a while,just to test new products ? Even if I would spend that money on a mattress I know it wont be my last mattres...and i know someday I will spend those money on a mattress....Hastens or not.
Reply #7 Feb 27, 2008 11:25 AM
I have to say we are still really enjoying our CH Beckley Bristol bed.  It did take some fussing with toppers but we ended up with a firm, supportive yet comfortable bed that is showing no depressions after more than a year.   We have a two inch piece of memory foam on top of the mattress and then the Hastens topper and mattress pad.  Total cost for queen size was about $3300 including all the toppers and pad.
This message was modified Feb 27, 2008 by confusedbedbug
Reply #8 Feb 27, 2008 12:04 PM
Is anyone else on the market making a horsehair topper like Hastens ?

I dunno if it was the combo of the double springs - mattress and box, but the topper was divine as well.
It has some give but has some resiliancy to it as well.
Reply #9 Feb 27, 2008 12:19 PM
I was looking for something and stumbled on a website--apartmenttherapy.com--or something like that. Below are a couple posts--one from a dealer and one from some extremely "unhappy campers." The site is worth perusing.
[BTW, there was a poster on there who sounded a lot like confusedbedbug's setup (just guessing)].

"Hi Everyone!
I just came across this site and felt compelled to add a comment regarding Hastens beds. My wife and I purchased a 180cm x 210cm Continental in June this year. We based our decision on a number of factors including price, construction (we wanted an all-natural, non-toxic bed), longevity, and most importantly our own past experience sleeping in a Hastens bed. We had a positive experience in a hotel. We saved money for 3 years to buy a Hastens. The bed cost around $12,000. We spent several hours during multiple trips to the store trying diffent beds before making our choice.

Shortly after receiving our bed we found that the construction was defective. We ordered a Medium, and one side was very soft, while the other was somwhere between soft and medium. We immediately contacted Hastens and they sent a representative to inspect the bed. Two weeks later she arrived and agreed that the matress was not constructed properly and agreed to replace it. We waited another 5 weeks t before the replacement matress was delivered.

There was no improvement in the matress that was delivered as replacement. We notified Hastens 2 days after delivery that we wanted to return the bed and get a refund. They actually argued with us and tried to tell us WE were wrong and the bed was fine. This despite the fact that we were both now feeling back and shoulder pain which had never happened before. They again offered to replace the matress. When we decilned to have it replaced and asked for a refund their attitude changed significantly. After weeks of telephone calls and several letters, they finally agreed to upgrade our purchase by replacing our bed with a higher quality model. We agreed to allow this on the condition that if there were any problems, we would be able to return it for a full refund.

We went to the store and selected a 2000T as the replacement. The store manager phoned her boss and got the approval to do the exchange. We left the store feeling satisfied, albeit a bit uncomfortable with the quality of service (I'm leaving allot of detail out here concerning the store personells attitude, suffice it to say it was not nice).

I sent a short letter confirming our agreement and asking for a timeframe to deliver the new bed. The next day I recieved a call from Hastens saying they would not replace the bed. Needless to say we were shocked. We immediately went back to the store where we spent the next hour negotiating for a refund. They finally agreed to refund 85% of our purchase price within 5 days. That was 7 days ago and we still have not seen our money.

We now have to get a lawyer to help resolve this. It has turned out to be a nightmare. We wish we would have read this and many other threads concerning Hastens and their problems before making this purchase. We have subsequently been in touch with many other unsatisfied customers who share our experience. Our advice from firsthand experience is that although there are many satisfied customers of Hastens, there are also many unsatisfied ones such as ourselves. Think long and hard before you buy from them, and be sure you get everything you agree to in writing."
posted by dlglobal1 on 2007-09-30 08:48:56
view dlglobal1's profile
Reply #10 Feb 27, 2008 12:22 PM
Followup:
Here's the dealer's post. Of course it's self-serving, but it confirms what we have discovered/discussed re: support:

"Hello all, I am a retailer of Hastens and Carpe Diem Beds of Sweden. I also sell other brands such as Stearns & Foster, Englander, Sealy, Tempur pedic, and more. Hopefully this post will answer a few of your questions. It is possible to simulate the feel of a premium quality bed like Hastens and Carpe Diem, but unfortunately, no one can give you the support and comfort together, not to mention the longevity of their beds. &#8232;As you probably know most U.S. mattress manufacturers are building beds with one sided construction. Very convenient for us, since we all hate flipping our mattress. These manufacturers are loading up one side of the bed&#8232;with tons of foam and other upholstery materials to achieve a soft comfortable feel. The problem with that design is that we as people hold the majority of our weight in our rear ends. Even though the bed feels great, the spine is not in its natural position. Your butt will sink in more then the rest of your body as the support (spring system) is way at the bottom of that big one sided mattress. What happens is you fall asleep fine, but you wake up with soarness or still tired despite the 6-8 hours of shut -eye you just got. The reason being, since your mattress failed to evenly distribute your weight, your muscles, instead of sleeping, were called to the job. I have heard various complaints throughout my years in this industry, but most of them came when mattress manufacturers decided to make half a bed. Two of the biggest complaints are; that 6 months after purchase, the bed feels signifantly softer than when they first took it home, and the other are those 1 1/2" body impressions that develop rather quickly. Both of these examples are normal according to the manufacturers of these one sided, more convenient sleep sets.&#8232;Hastens and Carpe Diem beds are built not only to be the most comfortable beds in the world, but to offer decades of support as well. They do this with all natural materials and the most advanced spring design to date. The spring in these beds is what is supporting your back and giving you the comfort. Both companies use an individualy pocketed coil which has twice the amount of turns&#8232;per coil than the best Amrican bed. This allows each coil to conform perfectly to the part of the body that compresses it with out affecting the performance of the coil next to it. The bed actually evenly distributes your weight so perfectly without applying pressure that the sleeper almost experiences a sense of weightlessness. With the bed containing no foam that detiorates, Hastens and Carpe Diem promise &#8232;decades of comfortable restorative sleep. You don't need to spend 20 or 50k to experience this, ever Hastens and Carpe Diem bed offers this starting around 5k. &#8232;If interested, I have some Hastens models that I would discount from 10% to 40%.&#8232;I hope this has been helpful, if you would like to contact me, please do so at: tsnakes1@optonline.net"
Reply #11 Feb 27, 2008 1:02 PM
Yup, that was me!  It is an interesting site to read up on the Hastens' stuff.
Reply #12 Feb 27, 2008 2:06 PM
ConfusedBedBug -

Just curious.....were you able to ever come something amicable with your Hastens ordeal ?

Recent Posts