GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TO MY NEW SPRING AIR LATEX BED!
Nov 16, 2007 4:46 PM
Yes, it happened two nights ago. I actually felt a thud in the middle of the night. We woke up several times in deep pits that were hard and caused great pain. It seems the core gave out. This bed is only about 6 weeks old. Of course it could not happen within the first 30 days when we could return the bed with no questions asked. I called the salesman I originally worked with  and explained. He said come in right away and lay on the showroom model and explain exactly what my bed is doing. I did this and he agrees that something is very wrong with the core. He is sending out a tech. to check it over very thouroughly. Now, if you look at the bed it looks beautiful. There are no body impressions or anything. It is when you lay in the bed that the problem is very evident. There is absolutely no bouyancy. The longer you lay there, the deeper you sink.  The deeper you sink, the more painful the night becomes. The salesman has instructed the tech.  to lay on the bed for some time and in different places. I sure hope this goes my way. I know the technicians are supposed to find a reason for a bed failure and the fault is usually found with the consumer. I am ready for battle, but I hope this will not be necessary.  So yes, I am one more consumer that would say I cannot reccomend Spring Air based on my experience. I hope I can at least say that the furniture store has wonderful customer service. These mattress manufacturers really are heartless SOBs. By the way, I have to wait until November 27th before I can get my inspection. That was the soonest appt. they had. I hope I survive!
This message was modified Nov 26, 2007 by sillymom
Re: GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TO MY NEW SPRING AIR LATEX BED!
Reply #3 Nov 17, 2007 8:09 PM
Foam Nerd
sillymom wrote:

I assured them that it is a metal frame with a center cross beam and six legs.

Does the center beam run head to foot or rail to rail? Where are the legs located?

When you look under the bed, what do you see? Anything?
This message was modified Nov 17, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #4 Nov 17, 2007 10:12 PM
The center beam runs rail to rail. There are six outside legs and a center support.  The frame is only 5-6 years old. We purchased the center support ourselves on the recommendation of the salesman when we purchased our last bed, due to the fact that the mattress was so heavy. The spring air website shows a picture of this type of frame and states the frame must have at least one center support leg. Ours has the two legs on the ends of the center rail and the center leg we added years ago, for a total of 3 legs across the center.

I was also wondering if we should take the mattress off the bed and use it on the floor. Perhaps, if it is the foundation, this would prevent any more damage. I was absolutely in love with this bed and I am so upset that this has happened. 

Reply #5 Nov 17, 2007 10:52 PM
Foam Nerd
If it's the foundation, as we suspect, then laying the mattress directly on the floor will allow you to get a good night's sleep.

You frame sounds fine. The fact that Spring Air shows that kind of frame on their website puts you in the clear. If they blame your frame, show them the website.
Reply #6 Nov 20, 2007 5:16 PM
So we slept on the mattress on the floor last night. Well, it did feel quite different, but not really better. We are still sinking several inches into this mattress. I am starting to believe that the top comfort layer is NOT LATEX, but a cheaper foam. I was told it was all latex, and the cut away at the furniture store shows a top comfort layer of latex, but it is very slow to spring back up.  After sleeping on it all night, it took about 12 minutes for the depression to come back up. On my husbands side of the mattress there is still a slight depression. I do not believe latex should behave like this and so I am starting to wonder about it. Any other ideas?
Reply #7 Nov 25, 2007 6:20 AM
If you are looking for a good night's sleep, proper sleep posture is everything. Your mattress should help you obtain the proper posture for your position.
Latex isn't an exact science and compressions do vary from one end of the core to the other.  Not to mention from one piece to another.  If the bed was designed with a medium firm foam like a 25-30 ILD and was manufactured with a 20-25 ILD foam due to availability then it would feel like it lost support quickly.  When I ordered 28 ILD latex they would send me a truckload of anything from 20-30 ILD firmness because the manufacturer felt it was close enough by industry accepted manufacturing inconsistencies.  You could have got a bed that was designed on one end of the firmness spectrum and the manufactured on the opposite end.
Reply #8 Nov 25, 2007 4:18 PM
Thanks Batman for that information. If this is the case, I probably just have to accept it as an accepted industry standard. I guess it would just be considered a comfort issue then. I am open to a reasonable explaination. If the problem is really a latex core that is softer than first presented, would a latex topper help? Do I have any recourse with the company warranty? Perhaps these are questions that you cannot answer, but every bit of information helps. Thanks again, Sillymom
Reply #9 Nov 26, 2007 9:09 AM
I think the topper would only help if you removed the layer of your mattress that isn't providing enough support.  Then add the topper of your liking.  You may even like the bed by itself once that layer is gone, and not need a topper.
Reply #10 Apr 7, 2008 11:31 PM
So this perfect man-made latex material Spring Air uses is not so perfect after all. Thanks for sharing. I hope you are contacted by those that are also hurting and want a refund or a new bed.
Reply #11 Apr 8, 2008 9:10 AM
Hi folks,

I took a long time off due to an internet stalker that had nothing to do with this forum.  I know the person in real life and had to get that handled. The loooong story with my latex bed is a comedy of errors. My salesman (who is a truly nice guy) did not accept a first inspection and called for a second one. That inspection proved that yes, the core was shot. By then we were sinking well below the sides of the mattress and I had actually injured my back trying to get out of bed one morning. We traded that in for a Beautyrest Exceptionale plush. Within a week the top layer of coils was sliding off the bottom layer. Since the bed was so comfy, we decided to replace it with the same model. guess what is happening only a month later? Yes, the top layer of coils is sliding off and now it is killing us. I will be calling the store today.

We decided not to go the latex route again because my husband just did not like the feel of it. He will do just about anything for me, but I want him to be comfortable too. He has certainly proven his patience and love in these last seven months. We are now on bed number 6, and it too is defective. Since we are stuck being able to only make exchanges, we must choose among the brands the furniture store carries. I think I am done with Simmons. This has been quite a learning experience for us. I think when I return to school next year, I am going to study consumer law and become an advocate for all us little people. Thanks for listening.

Reply #12 Apr 11, 2008 12:31 AM
Well, I see Simmons still makes the JUNK they have always made... I had a Simmons once and it was pure junk, went bad after about a year.

If I were you I would buy the bed with the least amount of foam padding, the best springs, and then as soon as it goes bad - probably within the year - do surgery on it.
See my thread on doing surgery to my Sealy mattress. This has worked out great for my wife and I. We now both have configurations we are very happy with. It costs very little and you have total control over your bed when you rebuild it yourself over the springs!

Recent Posts