Gel memory foam topper at Costco
Aug 19, 2010 2:43 PM
I was at Costco yesterday and I saw that they had a 2.5" gel / memory foam topper.  I do not see it on their website, so maybe at stores only.  They had a sample hanging there, and it that felt interesting.   I am wondering if anyone has tried it?   I think it was around $150, depending on size. 
Re: Gel memory foam topper at Costco
Reply #1 Sep 5, 2010 2:07 AM
This must be what I saw at Costco.  May give it a try since it is returnable. 
Reply #2 Sep 5, 2010 10:27 AM
I hope you give it a try because I am curious about this.  Just followed your link and I am once again confounded.  They state that gel beads gather under pressure points to provide more support.  To my mind, as a side sleeper, my pointy shoulders and hips are the main pressure points and I want less support under them, not more.  Where I want support is under my ribcage/waist area so I don't end up shaped like a smiley-banana and I certainly wouldn't consider this area of the body a pressure point.  Am I totally out to lunch??  Did I misinterpret Novaform's blurb??  Any mattress-makers out there that cruise this forum are more than welcome to set me straight on this issue.
Reply #3 Sep 5, 2010 12:14 PM
DianeK wrote:

I hope you give it a try because I am curious about this.  Just followed your link and I am once again confounded.  They state that gel beads gather under pressure points to provide more support.  To my mind, as a side sleeper, my pointy shoulders and hips are the main pressure points and I want less support under them, not more.  Where I want support is under my ribcage/waist area so I don't end up shaped like a smiley-banana and I certainly wouldn't consider this area of the body a pressure point.  Am I totally out to lunch??  Did I misinterpret Novaform's blurb??  Any mattress-makers out there that cruise this forum are more than welcome to set me straight on this issue.

Yes, I thought the same thing when I read it.  I am not sure if I want more support in the pressure areas.  However, they also say it provides more balanced support.  The key is to provide enough support accross the entire body to avoid too much pressure anywhere and too much sinking in anywhere.  That is the whole dilemma of finding the right comfort without pain.  The purpose of things like the Flobed vzone is to try to deal with that that.

However, I don't take the marketing hype or explanation too seriously, and the only the way to know is by trying.  I think this thing will have a more squishy water bed type feel, at least that is my instinct.  Don't know if that would be good or not. 

Reply #4 Sep 10, 2010 1:24 PM
OK, I decided to be a guinea pig and try this "new" type of memory foam.  My instinct was that at 2.5" would probably be too thick, but that is all that is available so I gave it a shot anyway.

My impressions are that it is softer and less supportive than the 2" of memory foam that I have when used together ( 1" Sensus + 1" 4lb. mem-cool - it is possible that 2.5" of the mem-cool alone would be have similiar softness and support).   It gave me too much of a sense of sinking in deeply, and sleeping in a rut.  Perhaps slightly more pressure relief since it is softer and might spread the pressure around more.  I did not sense any magic or benefit being perfomed by the gel beads.  They did not seem to add support to the areas that need it, as the marketing material claimed.

Overall, I prefer my regular memory foam, so it looks like I will return it.  I may give it one more try to be sure.

It weighs around 28lbs. for queen, so I calculated about 4 lb. density.  It has the usual (if not worse) off gasing issues for memory foam.  

Reply #5 Sep 10, 2010 3:53 PM
Hey, thanks for being the guinea pig!  Looks like this is another product I won't bother trying thanks to you.  Certainly, let us know if your next night is better.
Reply #6 Sep 10, 2010 4:54 PM
Thanks, too, from me for being the guinea pig.  Hopefully they took it back?  smiley

shovel99

Reply #7 Sep 10, 2010 6:24 PM
shovel99 wrote:

Thanks, too, from me for being the guinea pig.  Hopefully they took it back?  smiley

shovel99

I still have it, but Costco takes everything back.  Inside it even it is returnable if not satisfied.  A bit of hassle taking back, since it comes compressed and will not fit back in the box.

Reply #8 Sep 12, 2010 9:58 PM
I just bought this and it definitely feels much better than my old 2" topper. I noticed a difference right away. I also bought one for my parents who complain that their feather bed gets too warm. They are happy as well. Just noticed that it is now on Costco.com (type in Novaform gel) which is key if you don't feel like huffing it to Costco.
This message was modified Sep 12, 2010 by SleepyNYC
Reply #9 Sep 13, 2010 11:30 AM
SleepyNYC wrote:

I just bought this and it definitely feels much better than my old 2" topper. I noticed a difference right away. I also bought one for my parents who complain that their feather bed gets too warm. They are happy as well. Just noticed that it is now on Costco.com (type in Novaform gel) which is key if you don't feel like huffing it to Costco.

Can you elaborate on why you like it better than your old memory foam?  Do you know what your old memory foam is?  Brand, density?

Reply #10 Sep 18, 2010 12:13 PM
I tried this again last night with 1" 19 ILD blended latex on top of it.  I like it better that way.  I still sink in a fair amount, but it definitely molds to the body and reduces pressure points.  Has a softer feel than the other memory foams I have tried.  Definitely not for the sensitive back people, but it did not cause problems for me.

It might work for those want a soft feel, and a lot of body molding pressure point reduction.  Maybe better for those on the lighter side as well.

I still think a bit too soft for me, but in a way more comfortable that the Overstock memory foams I have. 

Got a bit warm, probably because of the sinking in and being more surrounded by foam.

Seems to have some odor still, so worse in that regard than other memory foams I have tried.

I might try with 24 ILD latex over and 1" less overall.  Still searching for the right type of memory foam for me.  Hard to find that sweet spot. 

Reply #11 Jan 28, 2011 5:09 PM
I have been using this topper for the past week now and I have mixed feelings about it. It took a few days to fully air out and not only get rid of the smells but get fully uncompressed. When I lay down on this topper I feel like I'm sinking in and it's hard to move around once the memory foam contours it's way around your body. I didn't even realize I had lower back pain with my futon mattress until I started using this topper. Now the lower back pain is gone, but I seem to get sore muscles more easily, not sure why. Maybe it's just coincidence because I did work out a bit beforehand.

Sleeping on this topper definitely makes the mattress feel more soft, luxurious, and comfortable, but I'm asian and I need a firmer mattress. One thing I've noticed is that caucasion people prefer a softer bed, I don't know why, they just do. If you are familiar with Sleep Comfort beds, they have a number assigned depending on how soft you like your mattress. My sleep number is 100 (that's as firm as it gets). I feel like I need a firm mattress. No, I can't sleep on the floor or on concrete, my back isn't that strong. I do need some cushioning. I think I will try a different topper.

Reply #12 Jan 29, 2011 11:51 AM
mahadragon wrote:

I have been using this topper for the past week now and I have mixed feelings about it. It took a few days to fully air out and not only get rid of the smells but get fully uncompressed. When I lay down on this topper I feel like I'm sinking in and it's hard to move around once the memory foam contours it's way around your body. I didn't even realize I had lower back pain with my futon mattress until I started using this topper. Now the lower back pain is gone, but I seem to get sore muscles more easily, not sure why. Maybe it's just coincidence because I did work out a bit beforehand.

Sleeping on this topper definitely makes the mattress feel more soft, luxurious, and comfortable, but I'm asian and I need a firmer mattress. One thing I've noticed is that caucasion people prefer a softer bed, I don't know why, they just do. If you are familiar with Sleep Comfort beds, they have a number assigned depending on how soft you like your mattress. My sleep number is 100 (that's as firm as it gets). I feel like I need a firm mattress. No, I can't sleep on the floor or on concrete, my back isn't that strong. I do need some cushioning. I think I will try a different topper.

If you like a firm mattress, then I think that this topper would be too thick and soft for you.   If you want to add just a little softness, try adding 1" incements of memory foam (ideally 5lbs. or higher (like Sensus at overstock)) or 14-19 ILD blended latex.

Reply #13 Jan 29, 2011 6:30 PM
I've decided to return the mattress topper. Last nite I went back to my crappy acrylic blanket that I've been using as a mattress topper. Boy, what a difference! I can feel the energy being able to flow through my body and the air can actually move around in the sheets. When I used the gel memory foam topper I sunk so far into the topper there wasn't any air flow. Also, I realize now that my sore muscles were a result of the mattress topper. The foam contoured itself tightly around my right shoulder as I slept on my side. It didn't cut the circulation, but it slowed it down around my entire arm. Because of this poor experience I don't think I'll ever go with a foam topper.

I'm currently using a down pillow, down comforter with all cotton sheets and duvet cover. I think I should stay consistent and go with something more natural like cotton or even wool.

This message was modified Jan 29, 2011 by mahadragon
Reply #14 Feb 4, 2011 1:41 PM
This review is for the Novafoam Gel Memory Foam Topper. I would not even give this one star.  It was awful.  I purchased a King size online at Costco because they only had the California King in the store and we have a regular king. 

1)  The smell was horrible.  So much worse than the regular memory foam topper we had for our previous queen size bed.  I opened it up outside on a sheet and left it out all day and even then with the HEPA filter and ceiling fan running on high for hours before bed, it still had a horrible, strong smell.

2)  The foam is blue and has little blue gel beads embedded in it, but a lot came loose and they stick to everything.  I can see a mess everytime I have to change bedding down to this for a while until all the loose beads are removed.

3)  The cover that came with the topper did not fit.  It was too small.

We didn't even sleep on it one night - back to the store the next day.  At least Costco refunds the entire amount to you, so there was no financial penalty other than the pain of trying to get it rolled up to return.

Reply #15 Feb 12, 2011 3:06 PM
sandman wrote:

I tried this again last night with 1" 19 ILD blended latex on top of it.  I like it better that way.  I still sink in a fair amount, but it definitely molds to the body and reduces pressure points.  Has a softer feel than the other memory foams I have tried.  Definitely not for the sensitive back people, but it did not cause problems for me.

It might work for those want a soft feel, and a lot of body molding pressure point reduction.  Maybe better for those on the lighter side as well.

I still think a bit too soft for me, but in a way more comfortable that the Overstock memory foams I have. 

Got a bit warm, probably because of the sinking in and being more surrounded by foam.

Seems to have some odor still, so worse in that regard than other memory foams I have tried.

I might try with 24 ILD latex over and 1" less overall.  Still searching for the right type of memory foam for me.  Hard to find that sweet spot. 

So sandman, are you still using this gel topper?  Or did you take it back?  If using, are you still using the 19 ILD latex on top?

Reply #16 Feb 12, 2011 7:23 PM
SqueakyDog wrote:

So sandman, are you still using this gel topper?  Or did you take it back?  If using, are you still using the 19 ILD latex on top?

No, I took it back.  It was too soft/thick for me.  Right now my top 3" are 1" of 19ILD blended latex, 1" of 5.3 lb.(actually 5.9) memory foam from foamonline, 1" of 24 ILD 100% natural latex.   This goes over 2" of 32 ILD 100% natural latex over Sealy coils.   I also have 1" inch of 5lb Sensus, but I have not been using that lately,

I am fairly happy with this setup.  I have been playing around lately with what to put on top.  I have a 1" wool topper that I am not using right now.  I have been using a simple cotton filled mattress pad + a washable wool filled Natura pad over that.

Reply #17 May 4, 2011 4:38 PM
I bought this because I was having trouble sleeping with sore hips.  Having tried other products I wasn't sure how this one would work.  I'm glad I got it.  It is the best mattress topper I have ever tried.  It supports you, relieves pressure points, doesn't let you sink in too much and doesn't get hot.  I love it and would purchase another one.
Reply #18 May 4, 2011 4:44 PM
This sure sounds extremely similar to the Serta Icomfort and their both made by sleep innovations.

Recent Posts