Frustrated Newbie
Sep 6, 2010 12:43 AM
I'm sure I should be diligent and read every post on here, but after a week of doing my research I'm starting to get frustrated. I love forums and this seems to be one of the best for mattresses.

With this topic post I am hoping to get a summary of the mattress types and brands that have been spoken of most highly on this forum. I know this topic is like politics, everyone feels strongly about one thing vs another without an overall concensus and I know the typw of mattress depends on the person, but I feel like someone familiar with these forums could maybe narrow down my search and provide some advice.

Basically I'm 28, living with my fiancee and thinking about consciously purchasing a mattress for the first time. We have a Sealy Posture Premier (somewhat entry level model) from 2003ish. I have never slept soundly and dream of getting consistent good nights of sleep. I have sporadic neck/shoulder and lower back discomfort but it's usually better after sleeping so I don't think the mattress is necessarily the culprit. After going to a few stores I am leaning towards a slightly firmer mattress and my fiancee towards a softer one (she is very small and light if that makes a difference) but generally I think we both just want comfort. I sleep on my back, her on her side and we both toss and turn. I am a naturally hotter person and can't sleep if I'm hot. If I do turn on my side my shoulder feels jacked up within minutes although the postition feels comfortable.

I want to get moving on a new bed but I feel stuck..Everything in the store feels reasonably comfortable, web reviews contradict each other..I just need a starting point, a roadmap. I'm even into an evolutionary approach where I start with something and add on as I go.....I just want a new bed badly and I'm fearful of throwing my money away.

Once again, I apologize for asking such a flat out newbie question. I've read the buying guide here and reviews all over the web and I feel less confident than when I started.

Thanks in advance!!

-JT

Recent Posts