Frames for split box foundations? Center supports?
Aug 27, 2010 10:15 PM
I might go for a split box on my queen mattress set the next time around.  It will be easier to move, and I don't think that those folding wire cot frames like Incredibed and the others are suitable for me, because I have a large super-heavy steel reinforced brass bed headboard and full foot board, and I like the big angle iron frame that came with it.

I don't see any real discussions of frames on here.    I need to add a center support system to this frame, and it should probably be one that can support split box foundation where it needs to be supported.  Do I want east-west, or north-south, supports?   Or a combination like this V-Rail  http://www.planetbed.com/v-rail-heavy-duty-bed-center-support-system.html ?   I actually ordered the V-Rail and it arrived today.  I picked it because this frame is 11" - 12" above the floor, and V-Rail goes that high, plus I'd have all that storage space down each side because V-Rail's legs are all in the center.   I bought it before I considered a "modern" heavyweight mattress with a split box.  I'm wondering if I need a wider north-south brace with a split box.  Any ideas?

This frame setup goes 'way back to the early brass and steel beds of the '20s and '30s.  Cross brace with brackets is bolted to head and to foot.  Stand the head up, stand the foot up, drop the siderails in.  Maybe add wooden slats if you have 2" angle.  I'm not sure if steel slats work, but I don't see why they wouldn't. 

Pics:

headboard

foot board

and here are the side rails, in front of the sofa:

This furniture is all secondhand stuff from Craigslist. by the way.  About $1250 total.   Very wallet-friendly.  I even got a too-soft-for-me but very nice queen mattress and box spring with the bed.  I drive a truck so I can help myself move.   ;-)

This message was modified Aug 28, 2010 by TC2334

Recent Posts