found some "deals" on latex in case anyone's interested
Jan 30, 2008 11:18 PM
I am not affiliated with this company and have never ordered from them and have no idea if they're good or not.
But in my search for a company selling Dunlop latex I found this and thought someone might be interested in these "close-out" deals they have:
http://www.foamorder.com/clearance.html#latex

Not even sure if these are great prices or not... So I just present this info for your consideration, nothing more.
Re: found some "deals" on latex in case anyone's interested
Reply #4 Jan 31, 2008 4:48 PM
mccldwll wrote:
I bought three from Brylane. The quality appears to be good. My guess would be around 25 ILD (22-28). Not convoluted. Look around on Brylane for various promotion codes (there were several when I bought). It may be even cheaper if you get smaller amount off, but free shipping. If you want more than one, may want to buy separately/sequentially for better savings.

It's 20% for a Queen or a Twin so I'll buy a queen and cut it up into zones for my twin. The Promotional code for 20% off one item is BHAA20. Comes out to $62.98 including shipping. Now if they only had a harder piece, I could use it for my bottom piece over my Sealy springs...

25ILD  pretty firm for a "topper" isn't it? Couldn't one use that for a middle piece? I thnk the 2 x 1" pieces I have that I described as "toppers" are also more like "medium" ILD's. I would think a topper would be more like 18-22ILD.

Question: if you put 2 x 1" pieces of 24ILD together, does that equal a 2" piece of 24ILD, or does putting them on top of each other change the ILD or feeling of firmness somewhat? Something tells me that 2 put together is not the same as one 2" piece...?

This message was modified Jan 31, 2008 by jimsocal
Reply #5 Jan 31, 2008 6:48 PM
I haven't yet cracked my stash of Brylanes, other than to double up a king to soften a spare bedroom twin bed. It's a kid's grade minimally padded cheapo, and now it's comfortable. I can't imagine the Brylanes being firm enough for hip area zoning support layer. I believe that two should work well for continuous top layer, and additional ones for all shoulder layers and lower leg. 25 is plenty soft. When I was playing with LI, 3 layers of 28 ILD (8.5 inches) felt good for shoulders (though did have a "cuddlebed" type topper over everything to protect product). ILD is measured with 5.6" slabs, and sliced layers are supposed to be same ILD. Physics would suggest individual layers are not as firm, unless glued (and would also suggest that a sandwiched/glued layer of material between latex layers would raise ILD--possibly even rubberized, 3/8" grid, non-skid area rug material, not even glued).
Reply #6 Jan 31, 2008 10:34 PM
If it interests anyone, I also found this zoned latex topper on the JCPenney web site:

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=30743&CatID=30743&Grptyp=STY&ItemId=132d9ba

It's $109.99 for a queen size with free shipping and it is latex laminated to PU foam. There is no mention of how thick it is though, or of course, how firm. But, again, with a 90 day return policy, It would not hurt to check it out. I'm not sure if they carry it in the stores, but I might run down to our local Penneys and see if they have one.
Reply #7 Feb 1, 2008 12:25 AM
I wonder if these are like the ones we were all buying on Overstock.com for $39.99. Those aren't too bad. Convoluted on one side to give it a different feel than the other side. A soft ILD about 22-28 my mattress guy said when I showed it to him. I can't use mine, though. Too soft for my back.

mccldwll wrote:
I bought three from Brylane. The quality appears to be good. My guess would be around 25 ILD (22-28). Not convoluted. Look around on Brylane for various promotion codes (there were several when I bought). It may be even cheaper if you get smaller amount off, but free shipping. If you want more than one, may want to buy separately/sequentially for better savings.
Reply #8 Feb 1, 2008 12:33 AM
Did you buy a CuddleBed mattress topper from Costco.com? I have one of those on top of everything. Nice!

mccldwll wrote:
I haven't yet cracked my stash of Brylanes, other than to double up a king to soften a spare bedroom twin bed. It's a kid's grade minimally padded cheapo, and now it's comfortable. I can't imagine the Brylanes being firm enough for hip area zoning support layer. I believe that two should work well for continuous top layer, and additional ones for all shoulder layers and lower leg. 25 is plenty soft. When I was playing with LI, 3 layers of 28 ILD (8.5 inches) felt good for shoulders (though did have a "cuddlebed" type topper over everything to protect product). ILD is measured with 5.6" slabs, and sliced layers are supposed to be same ILD. Physics would suggest individual layers are not as firm, unless glued (and would also suggest that a sandwiched/glued layer of material between latex layers would raise ILD--possibly even rubberized, 3/8" grid, non-skid area rug material, not even glued).
Reply #9 Feb 1, 2008 1:31 AM
Beddybye: a Cuddle Bed sounds so dreamy. What is it filled with? Does it compress down much after time, and how does it wash up?
Reply #10 Feb 1, 2008 5:50 AM
mccldwll wrote:

Mccldwll-- Looks like you haven't opened them yet. I was wondering if they run true to size or if they come up short like the Overstock.com toppers? Sounds like a really good deal. By the way, the promo code is no longer valid. The new one is BHSUPER20 valid through 2-4-08. At that price, I'm thinking of ordering one and just putting it away in a dark place for the day when I deconstruct my mattress and replace the foam with something better than the PU crap that's in there now. I'm not really a big fan of Talalay, but I think incorporating 1" into the mix would probably be just fine. If not, I can always use it on the guest bed.
Reply #11 Feb 1, 2008 7:49 AM
IIRC, runs fairly true to size. Even though you're not a fan of talalay, think of the softer stuff as very high quality PU, w/o the disadvantages.

The "cuddlebed type" topper is just a bunch of poly fiber. It was comfortable, but I was using it primarily to protect latex for return. Not using it these days since latex sufficient, (and it's probably dust mite heaven). Wash in commercial front loader, IIR.
Reply #12 Feb 1, 2008 1:01 PM
Well, I just ordered two of the Brylane toppers, though I was leaning most lately toward all natural latex. I can at least get a feel of a latex topper and if it (and this particular density) will work for me. I have really been dragging my feet about hitting the "Buy Now" button, afraid that if it didn't work out, I'd either be out $250 +, or at least have to incur expensive return shipping and/or restocking fees. My total came to $121.97 with shipping and no matter what you return, Brylane only charges you $5.75 to send it back.

If they are too soft for lower back support they might be good for the shoulder and leg area with something firmer cut into the middle. We'll see...
Reply #13 Feb 2, 2008 2:34 AM
I really like it. It's not as thick as a regular fiber bed or feather bed. But, it has just enough fluffy filling to give it a comfy feel. And, it hasn't compressed at all. It has deep pocketed skirt, so it stays on very nicely. I bought a "spare" in case they ever stopped selling them. I haven't washed it yet, but I imagine it will be fine.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11189730&search=cuddlebed&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=cuddlebed&Ntt=cuddlebed&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

kimmcgov wrote:
Beddybye: a Cuddle Bed sounds so dreamy. What is it filled with? Does it compress down much after time, and how does it wash up?

Recent Posts