foambymail latex - who owns it?
Sep 30, 2007 2:44 PM
I am hoping to order a latex mattress in the near future and am strongly leaning towards foambymail as their prices fit my budget best.  I know about the ongoing debate over where foambymail gets their latex from, but I'm willing to accept that. 

Any feedback from users who have ordered a latex mattress or topper from foambymail would be much appreciated.
This message was modified Sep 30, 2007 by jiffy524
Re: foambymail latex - who owns it?
Reply #76 Dec 4, 2007 12:37 PM
donw wrote:
Eric, that's why we normally recommend half (or more) of that PU base to be 36ILD HQ foam. See my The perfect latex/PU foam thread. How did your 20 compare to your 32? My 1" 20 is very soft.

Mine too, but the 32 is definately firmer. I read your thread but I was concerned about not having enough support.  I have ordered another 2" of 32ILD to see if that helps, but I may have to rethink the core.
Reply #77 Dec 5, 2007 9:15 AM
Update: I must be getting used to it, slept good last night.  It was the first morning in years I felt like I could have laid in bed all morning.

Years will need to pass before I can say the FBM latex performs like latex from more expensive sources, but so far I am pleased.

This message was modified Dec 5, 2007 by ericgl
Reply #78 Dec 6, 2007 6:54 AM
ericgl wrote:
Update: I must be getting used to it, slept good last night.  It was the first morning in years I felt like I could have laid in bed all morning.

Years will need to pass before I can say the FBM latex performs like latex from more expensive sources, but so far I am pleased.

I still haven't ordered my 32 ILD layer yet...I've been waiting for ericgl's review on firmness. I was worried that it might be too soft for me, but it's sounding like it's fairly firm and supportive. 3" of this 32 ILD latex may be the perfect combination with my 3" HD36 and 4" LUX if I go with foamorder's Diamond Quilted Case with the 2" quilted top.
Reply #79 Dec 6, 2007 7:06 PM
Foam Nerd
steve2u wrote:
I still haven't ordered my 32 ILD layer yet...I've been waiting for ericgl's review on firmness. I was worried that it might be too soft for me, but it's sounding like it's fairly firm and supportive. 3" of this 32 ILD latex may be the perfect combination with my 3" HD36 and 4" LUX if I go with foamorder's Diamond Quilted Case with the 2" quilted top.

2" top? I doubt it. It may be constructed of 2" of uncompressed material, but once quilted into the ticking it will be no more than an inch.
Reply #80 Dec 7, 2007 7:02 AM
haysdb wrote:
2" top? I doubt it. It may be constructed of 2" of uncompressed material, but once quilted into the ticking it will be no more than an inch.
They state that the case adds 2" to the foam thickness - it's probably not the same as having 2" of foam being that it's quilted in, but my previous Sealy Fenway had about 2" of quilting when it was new and still does along the top edges of the mattress. I think I'm going to order the 32 ILD latex from FBM first and keep and eye on the clearance section at foamorder for a 12" King case. That will give me 2" to soften it up more or add more LUX (or something else that's cheaper) to the bottom to add height.
Reply #81 Dec 8, 2007 9:09 AM
I slept on my 4" of LUX and 3" of HD36 last night and woke up with a lot less back pain than I did with the 3" memory foam on top of it. I think this combination would be too hard in the long run and make my arms go numb if I did roll on my side, but it felt good sleeping all night on my back. Can someone give me a comparison of the FBM 32 ILD latex and their HD36 PU. I'm starting to worry that 3" of 32 ILD latex on my HD36 would soften the mattress up too much, but I have read some feel the FBM latex is a little firmer than LI's latex and that latex has a softer feel than PU foam of the same ILD. After reading other threads on all latex mattresses (Flo, SleepEZ, etc.), I got the impression that many people liked having a 2.8" layer of 36 ILD for their top support layer when they prefer a firm mattress.
Reply #82 Dec 8, 2007 5:01 PM
My impression having slept on latex for the last few nights is the added springiness (resiliency?) of Talalay give more support with less firmness than PU foam.  Memory foam, at least mine, has negitive resiliency (my term) and once my heat and body weight deformed it, it was hard without support. 

Perhaps after a few weeks I'll determine it is to soft, but right now it is so much better.

You could try 2" of 32ILD and add a third if you feel it would help without much penality.

Reply #83 Dec 9, 2007 12:52 PM
Foam Nerd
ericgl wrote:
My impression having slept on latex for the last few nights is the added springiness (resiliency?) of Talalay give more support with less firmness than PU foam.

I think that's a good way of describing the feel of latex.

Latex and memory foam are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Latex is highly resilient. Memory foam doesn't literally have negative resilience, but it's about as close to zero as any material can be and still be a solid.
Reply #84 Dec 14, 2007 6:46 PM
Update:

So, I've been sleeping on my FBM latex bed for a while now, and overall I am very satisfied.  6" is fine for me, but in all honesty, it is really not enough, I can feel it bottom out if I sit on it.  I might remove the adjustable slats, and just let it be a flex slat base, as the added depth of the adjustable slats cause it to bottom out more quickly than the slats which are not adjustable.  That being said, the bottoming out is more of a problem with the slats than the actual mattress.

Every morning, I wake up with the bed feeling just as great as it did when I went to bed.  I have a hard time getting up every morning because it feels so comfy.  I have been sleeping mostly on my side and have been pretty comfortable overall, although I can feel some slight pressure in my hips.  I think that removing the adjustable slat will resolve that though.  I am very satisfied with my decision to get firm latex. I have no desire to turn a $380 mattress into a $760 mattress, by getting another 6" core.  I also feel that adding a medium topper might make it a little more comfortable to sleep on my side, but will not allow me to sleep on my stomach.  I have toyed with the idea of getting 2" of PU foam to put under the mattress, but have not done so.

At this point, I highly recommend FBM.

As for the pillow from overstock.com, its alright.  I do really like the feel of the latex, however the pillow was a little softer/lower than I would prefer. That doesn't stop me from using it every night.  It is excellent for back sleeping, which I don't do, good to put under your head and chest for stomach sleeping, and side sleeping is acceptable. I have a small frame though, someone larger might find the pillow much to low.  I would like to try another latex pillow, but for now I am generally satisfied.  At least, satisfied enough that I don't feel the need to spend $50+ on a LI pillow.
Reply #85 Dec 14, 2007 8:08 PM
Foam Nerd
jiffy524 wrote:
I might remove the adjustable slats, and just let it be a flex slat base, as the added depth of the adjustable slats cause it to bottom out more quickly than the slats which are not adjustable.  That being said, the bottoming out is more of a problem with the slats than the actual mattress.

I'm not following what you mean about removing the adjustable slats, or them bottoming out. What foundation do you have?

Recent Posts