Foam question post pillowtop-ectomy
Oct 10, 2017 11:58 AM
I'm hoping someone who has actually used these products can give me some insight before I purchase. I have a brand-new Serta pillowtop mattress that I bought for a great price at a resale store (so no warranty and no return) that was comfortable for about 2 weeks and is now awful. I don't really know how to describe it-- sinking, yet hard. There's no noticeable dip when I'm not on it but the whole thing seems to have collapsed by about 2 or 2.5 inches since I bought it (I have rotated it and slept on both sides- each side time at first and then got worse) and it dips into a groove when I'm laying on it. I've got a piece of 4" soft foam (was supposed to be memory foam, but it's not) that I've had for about 10 years and was on my old hard-as-a-rock mattress, but using that on top of this just feels like I'm crawling out of a big foamy grave every morning and it's killing my back. I know now that I should have found a flippable firm and put a topper on it, but what's done is done. So I'm going to surgically remove the pillowtop, which I think is the problem, and replace it with a layer of foam and a memory foam topper. I have about 5-6 inches to work with before my sheets won't fit. The innerspring part seems firm and should still be good. I've watched videos on how to remove the pillowtop and I feel pretty confident in what I'm doing. It's just really frustrating when this was replacing a 20 year old mattress that has been killing my back for years!

I've been looking at foambymail.com and I'd like to go with a layer of probably 2" of LuxHQ or HD36 over the innersprings, and top that with 3 inches of memory foam. Can anyone make a recommendation on if I should go with LuxHQ or HD36 over the springs? Do I need more than 2" since its already got innersprings and a new box spring?

And would you recommend 4lb or 5lb memory foam for the top?

I've been going back and forth over this for days and can't decide. I want a pretty firm base and soft top. I have a herniated disc in my lower back so I need something soft on top, but I don't want to sink through it to the support layer yet neither do I want to continue to crawl out of a pit every morning! It's just me and one small, fat senior Beagle. I'm 5'5 and a depressingly 165lbs. Can anyone give me any direction on what you think would work best for my situation?

Recent Posts