Flobeds Posture Zone Green vs. Posture Select Green and other queries
Mar 11, 2008 11:26 PM
I have been web researching for weeks and I am trying to make the final decision on a latex mattress. This is a cold purchase for me and my husband, as we have been unsuccessful in finding a single latex mattress to try out in our town, even for a few minutes. I have spent countless hours researching online, reading reviews, scanning buyers guides, comparison shopping, nit-picking, etc. I even ordered a latex and wool sample from one of the websites that offers them for free. Yet every morning I wake up groaning in my awful, 17-year-old sagging bed and swear that today I am going to bite the bullet and choose a mattress. And then I end up here at 11 pm, not wanting to crawl into bed, but fearful of hitting the "confirm order" button on the checkout page.

My husband and I have decided to buy a latex mattress for support, durability, and allergies. It is our goal to buy as "natural" as possible, without sacrificing the best night's sleep we can get. We are not rich (we're middle school teachers), but we do believe in investing in a good night's sleep (or at least I do, anyways). 

My husband is 5'9" and weighs about 140 lbs (or less), and currently has no body ailments. It takes him about 20 minutes off rolling and thrashing to get comfortable at night, and then he sleeps like a log, usually on his side. He loves very soft, cushy, snuggly mattresses. He says our current mattress (Sealy Posturepedic Emerald Ultraplush Foam bought 17 years ago for a hill of beans at Sears) is fine!?!?!?! He couldn't care less about mattress shopping, but he humors me every now and then. When he enters a bed store, he is drawn straight to all of the pillowtop and plush models (yuk).

I am 5'6" and currently weigh 180 lbs. While I try to sleep on my back, most often I end up sleeping on my side. I have mild scoliosis due to one leg being slightly longer than the other. I LOVE sleeping on my stomach, but several years ago, I trained myself not to sleep this way based on the advice of my chiropractor.  The only time I sleep on my stomach now is when I'm very stressed out or have trouble sleeping. About once every year or so, I have to go see a chiropractor and get "adjusted" when I get out of allignment (usually after a particularly stressful week spent sleeping on my stomach or in some other really awkward position). I currenty wake up extremely sore and have trouble crawling out of the bed every morning. I feel like I am sleeping in a hammock. I despise all of the plush pillowtop models at the local stores, and instead prefer the firm ones. I also think I have a very unrational aversion to the idea of springs in a mattress.

We currently share a double bed in an antique Mahogany frame with 5 cross slats that has been in my family for 4 generations. I love the frame. I hate the mattress, although I loved it when I first got it back in high school (it was new, and I was a teenager). While our intent is to upgrade to a king-size mattress in a few years, a full or queen bed is all we have space for right now. Plus, we just got married a year ago and would like to continue using all of the great bedding that was given to us by our friends and family.  So, looks like were looking for a full/double mattress.

I have been looking at the Flobeds Posture Zone Organic Cotton-Natural Talalay Latex Green Mattress with split cores. We were thinking of choosing Soft over Medium for DH's side and Medium over Firm for my side. Dewey at Flobeds reccommended Medium over firm for both of us. I have also considered Firm over Extra-Firm. I just don't know what to choose and would like to aviod the mail-it-back option, even though its nice to have it.
Does anybody have some thoughts or concerns about vast differences in firmness in a split mattress? I doubt that anything will be too soft for my dear husband, but I also don't want to roll into a pit if I wander towards his side of the bed at night.
Also, as I continue to ponder the prices of the items in my "checkout" basket at Flobeds (paying $2400 for mattress and foundation is mind-numbing), I am wondering in my mind if all of this "extra" stuff is really necessary. Is there really such a difference between the Posture Zone and the more basic Posture Select mattresses? Does the floating zone layer really add all that much extra comfort  and support to the bed? Do three different 3-inch layers topped with a 2" convoluted layer really feel all that much more incredible than only two 3" layers with a 2" convoluted layer?
Also, has anyone experienced the "green" talalay latex layers from Flobeds versus the regular blended layers? From my reading, I gether the natural stuff is a little softer than the blended talalay. Is this what othes have noticed?
 Lastly, are there any suggestions for a less expensive foundation? $579 for a slotted wood box seems excessive. But I also want ot make sure I am supporting the mattress properly.
Thank you for reading my excesively long-winded post. I welcome and appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you may have, either expert of novice!

Recent Posts