FloBeds Natural Talalay convoluted topper
Feb 22, 2008 6:52 PM
I'm thinking about ordering Flobeds 2 inch convolute latex comfort topper to soften a firm mattress. I would like something that's on the soft side. If anyone has ordered and tried this topper separately from their mattress, I'd appreciate any comments about it.
Thanks!
Re: FloBeds Natural Talalay convoluted topper
Reply #3 Feb 23, 2008 12:55 AM
Thanks Lynn... I am finding I like a medium soft bed and the Latex mattress I have is probably med firm. I know they sell this convoluted top as part of the their mattress set normally, but I'd be putting this topper on top of the mattress I already have. Do the people you mention have this topper as part of the FloBeds mattress set? I'm going to have to see if I can find a separate cover for it other wise it would just be under our fitted sheet. Would you consider this a soft latex topper?

jimsocal, I had wanted 1" but was told they only sell a 2". The reason I'm interested in FloBeds topper is I'm wanting 100% natural talalay and am wanting the convoluted because nothing else seems like it would be soft enough.  
Reply #4 Feb 23, 2008 1:26 AM
The topper came with my bed and was very soft and felt so silky and wonderful. I hated to send it back but I have a small case of scoliosis so I always like a very firm bed and never even slept on anything that had a topper or softness to it until my platform bed (with an extra firm 14 year old Posteurpedic mattress that needed to be replaced on top of it that I got rid of) fell apart and I slept on the floor realizing that it was too hard.  That is when I found out a little cushion is nice.  In May 2007 I bought my first Latex Bed and my allergies at night went away so I wake up able to breath again.   I had to send back the soft topper and then Dave sent me a Dunlap firmer topper that was too firm. Then he sent me a 1.5" soft topper that was not soft enough and too thick for me to sink in enough (due to my petite size and need for firmer beds than most people lke... not many people would have been comfortable sleeping on my carpetted floor over the very thin padding I put on top for over 2 months).  I am now sleeping on the 1" soft Brylane Topper (blended and not 100% natural like I would have preferred) that it perfect for my shoulders and would be good for my hips if I could cut the latex core under it to be a super firm ILD 44 rather than a 36 ILD. So my mattress cover is from FloBeds and so is my latex cores and slat box but my topper is not at this moment.

So the answer is that it is very soft and a few friends that were helping me with my bed loved it but they like softer beds. I would call Dave at FloBeds to discuss your concerns.  Maybe he offers a trial period?

This message was modified Feb 23, 2008 by Lynn2006
Reply #5 Feb 23, 2008 9:49 AM
" I had wanted 1" but was told they only sell a 2". The reason I'm interested in FloBeds topper is I'm wanting 100% natural talalay and am wanting the convoluted because nothing else seems like it would be soft enough."

Why 100% natural? Not as durable and compresses more easily. Manufacturer gives it a shorter warranty. I've spoken to LI about it, and doesn't really have any allergen advantages. Developed for California "natural" market. The convoluted toppers are roughly half the ILD of the pre-sliced latex. 2 2" convoluted toppers mated probably creates roughly a 3" topper. You can find 1" toppers as low as 14 ILD (but 20-24 probably better) if willing to give up on all natural (google "sleeplikeabear").
Reply #6 Feb 23, 2008 5:43 PM
Or try the 1 inch Brylane topper. It's a great price, easy and cheap to return if it doesn't work out, and is pretty darn soft. It is a Talalay blend latex made by Dunlopillo in England.
Reply #7 Feb 24, 2008 5:47 AM
kimmcgov wrote:
Or try the 1 inch Brylane topper. It's a great price, easy and cheap to return if it doesn't work out, and is pretty darn soft. It is a Talalay blend latex made by Dunlopillo in England.

You might want to give it a try. Can't beat the price and it's easy to return. But I think it's a medium ILD. When I put it on my mattress it had a much firmer feeling to it than the 1" visco, so if Susan is trying to soften up a mattress she finds a bit too firm, the Brylane topper might not have that effect.
Reply #8 Feb 24, 2008 10:22 PM
Can you actually order the Convoluted topper from Flobeds Without a Mattress order?  When I look on their site it shows "Not SOLD Seperately" under the 2" Convoluted Topper.
I have a Semi Firm Latex (Dunlop) and would love a Softer feel, really soft and Can't get the Brylane because they don't have King Size. The Flobeds Convoluted would give me soft I think!
Reply #9 Feb 24, 2008 11:58 PM
I would call Dave up since maybe he would make an exception. He is the founder and owner of FloBeds.com.
Reply #10 Feb 25, 2008 3:42 AM
I saw that it said not sold Seperately too, but when i emailed them they told me that they would and gave the price. I was wanting it for the same reason as you... i need to soften up a firm dunlop latex bed and i want something really soft.
Reply #11 Feb 25, 2008 3:57 AM
Auart, I prefer the 100% natural, but if you don't care about that Mccldwll posted above about  "sleeplikeabear". You can find 1" and 2" Talalay toppers as low as 14 ILD for pretty good prices. They aren't convoluted but 14 or 20 ILD is very soft. 
Reply #12 Feb 25, 2008 5:19 AM
Before you buy you should be aware that very soft Talalay, and particularly natural Talalay, will compress and take on body impressions. It's not as durable as latex with higher ILDs.

Recent Posts