fire retardant chemicals
Nov 27, 2007 11:39 PM

Some people on this forum are concerned with avoiding the fire retardant chemicals that can be used to meet the new standards, as are we.  So far, no manufacturer I’ve seriously looked at admits to using any chemicals for this purpose.  They all say they have special fibers (Sealy), or rely on the wool layer (Flobed), or a cotton/wool blend (SleepEZ).  The People For Clean Beds.org website claims that “There are no natural or chemical free systems that pass the severe open flame test” and that “While wool would pass the old cigarette test for mattresses, it will not pass the new open flame test. These mattresses either use chemically treaded (sic) wool, another system, or rely on chemically treated cotton batting (Boric Acid and Antimony) to pass the open flame test.”  What’s the opinion of those of you who have researched this subject?

Re: fire retardant chemicals
Reply #1 Nov 28, 2007 5:25 PM
This is a very good question, and I'm glad you posed it.  We have just ordered a Hastens mattress set, and Hastens states they use a natural salt water solution as their  flame retardant. When we looked at Custom Comfort mattresses, a small company based in So. California, we saw a specific non flame fiber barrier built into the bed. However, I have no idea what this barrier contains!    Personally, I am less worried about the chances of dying in a bed fire than inhaling what are likely toxic chemicals 8 hours a day.
Reply #2 Nov 28, 2007 5:25 PM
This is a very good question, and I'm glad you posed it.  We have just ordered a Hastens mattress set, and Hastens states they use a natural salt water solution as their  flame retardant. When we looked at Custom Comfort mattresses, a small company based in So. California, we saw a specific non flame fiber barrier built into the bed. However, I have no idea what this barrier contains!    Personally, I am less worried about the chances of dying in a bed fire than inhaling what are likely toxic chemicals 8 hours a day.
Reply #3 Dec 3, 2007 2:00 PM
I'm a little worried too.

I was planing to buy one of Flobed's organic cotton/wool cover, which they claim is "NATURALLY Fire Resistant without chemicals". If it's organic, no fire retardant chemicals/additives can be used at all, or otherwise it's some pretty lame false advertising !!

I sent them an email regarding PeopleForCleanBeds.org's claim, and I will report when I get their reply.

Reply #4 Dec 4, 2007 8:27 PM
1-

I got an answer from FloBeds. They got a new web page up about  the Flamability test & regulations. On that page, right to the picture of the burnt FloBed, they clearly state :

FloBeds passed the test using Wool as a fire barrier!  Using only wool as a fire barrier, FloBeds achieves Federal Fire Standards without chemicals or artificial barriers.

http://www.flobeds.com/burntest.htm

2-

Also, during my research I found out about Pure-rest : They have a pretty bold statement as well :

Pure-Rest is the only North American Factory with certified organic products from start to finish-see all our certifications

http://www.purerest.com/

This message was modified Dec 4, 2007 by alibaba128
Reply #5 Dec 6, 2007 1:14 PM
It's a bold statement.  It's also b.s.  Natura has certified organic mattresses made in north america.  I'm sure there are plenty of others also.  If they want to lie, I wouldn't buy.
Reply #6 Dec 6, 2007 3:34 PM
I love my FloBed Organic Cotton/Wool Cover. It is soft, has a sturdy zipper (new one sent within the last 2 months), does not bother my allergies, and looks like a real mattress to me. I am so glad that it is also safe from fires in case it ever happens to me which I hope I never have a fire in my bedroom.  I like this mattress cover better than the first one sent to me in May 2007 that would have the zipper get caught on the latex. This new mattress cover (the one FloBed is now selling) is softer and has more give with the latex and a protecting flap that covers the latex before zippering up which is wonderful.  I love the 1.5" 100% natural Talalay Latex Topper with a flat top and bottom that was sent to me that I am using now over a 44 ILD over a 36 ILD over a 36 ILD over a slat box with 10" legs.  It gives me just enough cushion and is so comfortable for me. I love a firm bed.  The 2" latex topper was a little too soft for me but I know others loved it plus I never tried it out with a 44 ILD underneath it since then I was not realizing that blended Talalay Latex would not bother my allergies.  I also love my soft Talalay latex pillow I got from FloBed since the Latex pillows I bought from Overstock were just a bit firmer for me than I like.

I am glad I chose to go this route since the mattresses at the stores had too many chemicals (as well as many having Polyurethane that I am allergic to) that bothered my allergies since I am chemically sensitive. I also like knowing what is inside my mattress and being able to adjust it by moving he latex cores around. On my left size I have a 36 ILD over a 44 ILD over a 36 ILD with the 1.2" latex topper so when I want my bed a little softer, I can switch sides.  Right now I am liking the firmest side best that most people find too firm for them.

I am glad this thread came up since manufacturers have to realize that they need to limit our chemical exposure.

Recent Posts