featherbed as an alternative to memory foam
Jul 4, 2010 10:33 AM
I have serious spine issues and have been sleeping on very firm latex foam combo with a memory foam topper to cushion my hip and shoulder. I got a good spring system on the cheap and a friend gave me a featherbed she no longer wanted. much better than memory foam in my opinion. no back ache and a full night's sleep with no 3 am wake-ups. I am accumulating the materials to make my own, but in the meantime I have to say this is very good. just passing that along for those considering memory foam mattresses and toppers or concerned about their sleeping hot. I put the featherbed into two all cotton duvet covers and it feels really really good. natural may be the way to go for me. my eventual mattress will be a 12 3/4 coil base with 2 layers of wool batt, one layer of latex, one layer of merino I bought from a terrific company in australia. whether or not I add the featherbed on top I will decide at that point. some points about featherbeds - must must use at least one all cotton cover, must have baffle boxes, not channels, and be prepared to fluff it once a week. a good one will be heavy, so it takes some effort. 

a ps on my forays into used beds - I found a  3 year old hypnos a guy was basically giving away - top of the line sovereign retails at about 15k - when leaving the country. mattress alone weighed 200 lbs so he had never flipped it over. giant rut in the middle. almost bought it just to use the flip side, but the moving costs on this monster were going to be very high. also to my surprise, the sealy posturepedics with mountains of pu foam I saw showed no signs of wear or impressions at 3 to 5 years of age. not what I expected, although the feeling of lying on pu foam just sucks.

Re: featherbed as an alternative to memory foam
Reply #1 Jul 5, 2010 5:51 PM
When you say 12 adn 3/4 coil base, do you mean coils from 12 and 3/4 gauge wire? How did you come up with that decision to use that gauge?

I am using 12 1/2 and I find it too firm. Just curious. Also what manufacture would the springs be? And is this something you own or will buy?

Reply #2 Jul 5, 2010 9:36 PM
12 3/4 gauge steel in the coils. determined this by lying on a lot of beds. LOL. the shifmans are all of that gauge. a few mattresses have them. king koil has a line called extended life made for heavy people. the top of the line stearns and foster , which are only made in king and queen sizes, also has that gauge. the holland maid coil from hickory springs can be ordered in that gauge. cost is 90 dollars for a full plus 200 to ship it with the side rails in. can be shipped very cheaply just rolled up without the side rails, but I have no idea how to construct that , so that is not an option for me. 
Reply #3 Oct 11, 2010 7:59 PM
olenska, don't you find the featherbed flattens right out, like a feather/down pillow does? I love my down pillow and I've contemplated a featherbed for softness..but worry it will just be flat when I lie down. The pillow can be mashed up and fluffed while on it but the bed..well it couldn't be.

[I can't do foam, memory AND latex are both just too hot for me (and yes, I've tried).]

Recent Posts