Eleven YO Kingsdown 3 piece mattress set revivable??
Nov 8, 2011 9:33 AM
We have a Kingsdown Sleeping Beauty Gala 3-piece mattress set we purchased a few months after my husband had back surgery (ruptured disc in lower back) almost 11 years ago.  The top mattress, called the Cloud, which IS a separate mattress, is about 5 inches thick. WE HAVE LOVED THIS MATTRESS SET!!! There is a boxspring, then a very firm innerspring mattress, then the cloud.  Problem is, we are starting to feel achy in the mornings.  I am tossing and turning at night, and my husband is taking Aleve every morning now instead of just when he has done strenuous yard work.  I have been poring over the reviews, the forums, and various manufacturers websites to learn what I can because we've been thinking we have to replace the set, and Kingsdown makes nothing like this any more.  But this morning, as I was making up the bed, I looked at the label on the Cloud and discovered it is 50% polyester and 50% latex rubber!  Perhaps it is the polyester (and I cannot find out what kind now that it is 11 years old) that has compressed to such an extent that the bed no longer feels quite as it did when we first bought it. I know, I know, it's 11 years old - what are we expecting?!  But, it has been so comfortable, and honestly, we can't go spend thousands of dollars to get something like McRoskey or Sovn or Tempuredic (which I don't know that we'd like as well anyway).

But .... since seeing that the Cloud is 50% latex, I'm wondering if it would be possible to "revive" the set with a topper - foam?  softer ILD latex??  Reading as I have, I'm not sure we can buy something we can afford that will be as comfortable as what we've known without doing something like mattress surgery and we don't have another bed in the house we can sleep on if we were trying to "make one right." We still have kids at home in their beds and no guest room/bed. 

I would love to hear the opinions of you all who know so much more than I - If a topper is worth trying, what kind (material, thickness, density) would you try? I've thought of throwing out the Cloud and using a very thick latex topper over the innerspring mattress with either a softer, thinner latex or foam topper on top of that - try to create my own "cloud" - yet, the Cloud part has been so great!  When we first bought the set and got in the bed, it "hugged" us.  Felt supported (perhaps the very firm innerspring mattress?), yet hugged.  Like memory foam users seem to experience, the bed sleeps warm which has been fine in winter.

Perhaps you can tell I still really like the bed though it may not be liking me quite so much as it used to. Or maybe I just don't like change ....

Anyone willing to share their thoughts?  I would be very grateful.  Hubby and I are going to go look today at mattress sets.  Don't plan to buy anything today, but want to "see" what's out there.

Thanks in advance for your time and opinion.

Recent Posts