don't understand - sam's reviews
Mar 17, 2013 2:22 PM
Hi all,

Been a couple years since I was here.  In the meantime we've been through 3 mattresses.  Sigh.  First we did a spring + foam from Sears.  I think it was $300.  We didn't expect it to last, just needed something right away because I was pregnant.  Used it for 2 years I think, now it's in the (rarely used) guest room.  Then we bought a memory foam from Sam's - I think a night therapy.  We exchanged it after about 1 year of use because it already had body impressions forming.  Now we are about a year into the exchange and the same is happening.  The middle of the bed (king) is noticeably firmer than the sides.  Yet this mattress gets TONS of great reviews, including reviews from people who'd had it for a couple of years.  For the record, I'm 5'5 and 125 and hubby is 6'0 and 150.  We aren't heavy people.

How are there so many great reviews for this mattress?  What are we missing here?

I think we are going to attempt 1 more exchange and then next year (assuming the same hapens) return it & research here to buy or build something better (if such a thing exists).

What do you think?

Thanks!

Re: don't understand - sam's reviews
Reply #1 Mar 19, 2013 2:31 PM
It's deceiving.  These companies hire marketing firms all the time to give positive and negative reviews.  First, what Costco and Sams club sells is cheap chinese imported foam mattresses.  Sometimes assembled in the US, and then they will label it made in the US.  Look at your law label.  Any mattress that is shrink wrapped is a bad sign (I'm not sure yours was).  Costco's are.  This allows maximum mass shipping in containers.  Innerspring are different, but still cheaply made.

Sams and Costco go to manufacturers and say we want a product in this price point.  So the manufacturer will give them what they asked for.  It may look and sound great on paper.  But, I doubt if the are made the same as you might find in other stores.  

Example; I bought a watch from Costco for a good deal (less than a jewelry store, and it looked identical).  When the battery died I took it to a watch guy to have it replaced.  He asked where I bought it?  I tell him Costco.  He says 'oh thats why'.  'Why what'?  He says they are made less expensive for Costco versus a jewelry store.

He let me in on a little secret or two about the big warehouse clubs and why sometimes they are a good deal, and sometimes they are not.

Re: don't understand - sam's reviews
Reply #2 Mar 20, 2013 12:21 PM
Interesting.  I wondered if it was something like that.  I'm not sure if it was shrinkwrapped, I wasn't there.  Maybe?  I thought I that was pretty common & they all said it needed to expand?

I think I'll stick to food when I go there now.

Recent Posts