Does Latex have a break in period?
Apr 24, 2010 10:24 PM
Does Latex need a bit of usage to arrive at it's stated firmness level?

I have a 6" full size latex mattress from foambymail. It's a guest bed so I only sleep on it occasionally when my back is hurting and I can't take the S&F on our master bed. Last night I noticed that the mattress seems like it has become softer, and the side I sleep on seems to be softer than the other side of the mattress. It's the "medium" 26-32 ILD.

Re: Does Latex have a break in period?
Reply #1 Apr 25, 2010 9:11 PM
twalkman wrote:

Does Latex need a bit of usage to arrive at it's stated firmness level?

No.

Try flipping the mattress over and see if that helps change the feeling of firmness.

Reply #2 Apr 26, 2010 6:10 PM
I am really not a latex expert, but I have been reading about latex and using latex for awhile.

While I would say latex generally does not break down like memory foam - that's for sure - I would also say that latex DOES get somewhat softer with use. Not a lot but SOME. Maybe this is an arguable point but to me it seems that it does get a bit softer, and it stands to reason that it would because it is still FOAM and FOAM does break-in break-down over time.

That said, in this case it may be that you just "feel" it differently, that it's more likely just a perception.

If it continues to feel too firm I would try a softer Talalay topper - maybe only 1" or no more than 2" on top. SleepLikeABear has Talatech latex with something like 14ILD that I am dying to try; you might consider that.

Reply #3 Apr 26, 2010 10:16 PM

I actually think the mattress is a bit softer than I would like. Since it's already on a well supported plywood base I guess there's not anything I can do to make it firmer.

Reply #4 Apr 27, 2010 2:37 PM
twalkman wrote:

I actually think the mattress is a bit softer than I would like. Since it's already on a well supported plywood base I guess there's not anything I can do to make it firmer.

That may be true; it depends on how your layers are configured.

Recent Posts