Do Toppers Slide??
Sep 10, 2007 8:19 PM
Greetings.  I'm in the market for a new mattress and have gone through old posts on this forum.  The message is clear that placing a topper on a firm mattress is potentially wiser than buying a plus/pillowtop mattress since the topper can be easily replaced.  I've heard from two colleauges that they experienced considerable "slippage" when they used a mattress topper.  I would guess both were talking more about featherbeds than a foam topper.  My question to you all... do latex toppers move around on you?   Do you have to adjust them regularly (daily?)?  Is there an easy way to avoid this?

Thanks
Re: Do Toppers Slide??
Reply #1 Sep 10, 2007 10:22 PM
we've never had a problem with latex, memory foam or feather beds sliding around.  Sheet seems to hold them in place, and once we had the Hastens topper - it is heavy enough that nothing underneath it is going anywhere.  Feather beds did need to be fluffed up every few days which got to be annoying.
Reply #2 Sep 10, 2007 11:16 PM
We have a latex topper and have various other types as well, ie; featherbed, memory foam, eggcrate. None of them have slid around. With my present latex layer, I cover that first with an old sheet. Then I put a nicer mattress pad over than and then the top sheet. I also put&nbsp; a cheaper mattress pad under the topper directly over the mattress. Nothing slides! Latex is very heavy and tends to "stick" very well.<BR><BR><BR> blaupunk wrote:
Greetings.&amp;nbsp; I'm in the market for a new mattress and have gone through old posts on this forum.&amp;nbsp; The message is clear that placing a topper on a firm mattress is potentially wiser than buying a plus/pillowtop mattress since the topper can be easily replaced.&amp;nbsp; I've heard from two colleauges that they experienced considerable "slippage" when they used a mattress topper.&amp;nbsp; I would guess both were talking more about featherbeds than a foam topper.&amp;nbsp; My question to you all... do latex toppers move around on you?&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Do you have to adjust them regularly (daily?)?&amp;nbsp; Is there an easy way to avoid this?&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;Thanks
Reply #3 Sep 18, 2007 12:00 PM
Ours did! Big time!

We have a 3'' latex topper on a 6'' latex core.  The topper slided daily, for 3-7'' but it was not in a case: just the two pieces of latex under a fitted sheet. Finally our terry velour soft cover came in, fit the 2 piece in, zipped it up(boy, that was not easy!) and it's a wonderful complete mattress. The case felt a little tight, but it's flexible, so it was just perfect to keep the two pieces together, snug, inside.
Reply #4 Sep 18, 2007 12:46 PM
You could also try velcro. 
Reply #5 Sep 19, 2007 5:05 AM
As you've discovered toppers will stay securely in place if you have some kind of cover on them. Even a standard mattress protector with elastic sides will keep toppers from sliding around.

With latex you want to keep it covered anyway. It's sensitive to UV light and will degrade if exposed to sunlight.
Reply #6 Sep 19, 2007 9:27 AM
cloud9 wrote:
As you've discovered toppers will stay securely in place if you have some kind of cover on them. Even a standard mattress protector with elastic sides will keep toppers from sliding around.

With latex you want to keep it covered anyway. It's sensitive to UV light and will degrade if exposed to sunlight.

The standard mattress protector with elastic sides did not work for me.
Reply #7 Sep 19, 2007 1:19 PM
MequonJim wrote:
cloud9 wrote:

The standard mattress protector with elastic sides did not work for me.

Neither for me. But now with this flexible mattress case, it keeps the topper and core perfect in place, without interfering with the latex feel. http://stores.ebay.com/Memory-Foam-Products_360o-Zippered-Covers-3-to12_W0QQfsubZ6

Recent Posts