Do NOT buy the W Bed -- junk after just 3 years!
Nov 30, 2011 11:29 AM
Hi all,

I don't usually go on forums to complain about a product or service, but our disappointment with the W bed was enough to get me started.

My wife and I loved the bed at a W Hotel stay and were delighted to see we could buy the mattress online.  It is manufactured by Simmons and was fulfilled by 1800 Mattress.

First off, neither of us believes that this is the same bed as you get in the hotel.  Much softer, quite a letdown, but we decided to give it a try.

After just 2 years, it began sagging noticeably and we began to wake up with backaches.  By the third year the mattress has become a joke -- so soft and saggy that we can't sleep, so I called Simmons for service under their "10 year warranty." Forget about it.  They claim no defect, this is "normal compaction."  They actually ask you to send photos of body indentations!  As if a 3-year old pillowtop mattress is going to show visible indentations!

In other words, the mattress is not defective, it's just a shockingly shoddy product.

Even the cheapest no-name mattress should give you 3 years of acceptable use, and the W Bed is being sold (and priced) as a premium product.  We're outraged at how awful this bed turned out to be in such a short amount of time, and how Simmons simply shrugged at our dissatisfaction.  We will obviously never buy a Simmons product again.

Beware!  This bed is a total ripoff and if you buy one you will be sorry sooner than later.

This message was modified Nov 30, 2011 by delanor
Re: Do NOT buy the W Bed -- junk after just 3 years!
Reply #1 Nov 30, 2011 12:44 PM
I second that.  Had the W bed about 2.5 years and had purchased it in part because it was from a "nice" hotel and therefore might better stand up over time compared to a regular consumer bed ....wrong.  Bought the bed directly from the w hotel store and noticed the sag about 2 years in...and just dealt wtih it for a while.   I was amazed at how quickly the bed degraded -- to the point where on my next purchase I decided to avoid getting an innerspring mattress all together (gotta find something that lasts longer than 2 years...gheesh) and decided to go with a latex bed this time around...(maybe 6'3" 240 lbs was too much for innersprings?).  Too early to say much about the latex bed, but if the latex bed turns out to be a keeper and holds up more than 2 years without sagging....I will have the "W" bed experience to thank.  
Reply #2 Nov 30, 2011 3:30 PM
We had the Westin Heavenly Bed (twice)- same thing. But, it was more like 18 months the first go round and less than a year the second go round! Pathetic!
Reply #3 Nov 30, 2011 6:12 PM
I don't think it's the brand of bed. I think it's the pillowtop causing the problem. After I got mine (gone now, thank god) I read hundreds of reviews and I can't remember a single person who was still happy with their pillowtop after 2 years. In fact in most cases, they were disgusted after a few months when they ended up sleeping in a crater. The only people posting glowing reviews had had them only a few days to a month or so.
Reply #4 Aug 20, 2012 10:40 PM
It's not just the pillowtop, as I purchased the plush top, within one year we are having sagging in the center of our queen size bed, a major crater in the middle, that you have to climb out of in the morning. Checking for all my information I will need to file a warranty claim and I see it was manufactured in May 2011.  If I get some satisfaction on the claim, should I push for another Simmons model, or am I just going to get stuck with another one just like this that lasts a year or less?  My last mattress came from one of those cheap local outlets ($300 for the set) and was better than this after  6 years.
Reply #5 Aug 22, 2012 7:38 AM
ckirkman wrote:

It's not just the pillowtop, as I purchased the plush top, within one year we are having sagging in the center of our queen size bed, a major crater in the middle, that you have to climb out of in the morning. Checking for all my information I will need to file a warranty claim and I see it was manufactured in May 2011.  If I get some satisfaction on the claim, should I push for another Simmons model, or am I just going to get stuck with another one just like this that lasts a year or less?  My last mattress came from one of those cheap local outlets ($300 for the set) and was better than this after  6 years.

This is typical in my experience and many on this forum....for the cheap poly foam to feel good at first and then impressions create sag resulting in back pain and lack of cushioning.   It will happen again for most of the "S" brand models regardless of the coils.  It's the inexpensive polyurethane foam that makes it easy for the manufacturers to give you a cheap new mattress that won't last long under normal use.  My last Simmons World Class model started giving me and my wife back pain in about a year.  I would recommend buying something with latex as your cushioning at least with as little (or none) of the polyurethane foam.  They are hard to find at the typical mattress store.  I sleep on an all latex model from Flobeds but there are many others also recommended on this site, or you can build your own.  They cost more, but it is worth it if you plan to keep your mattress for more than a year or so, or if you are a kid who can sleep on anything.  I'm not a kid anymore. 

W = Worst Waste of $$$
Reply #6 Nov 25, 2016 10:31 AM
I am so disappointed with my W Hotel bed.
I spent more on this mattress than any other I've ever bought and after two years it's sagging and has a divot where I sleep. I fell in love with this after sleeping on one at the W Hotel but this is just awful. I'm going to have to dispose of it and go back to a lower-priced but much better quality mattress like I had before the Worst mattress experience. What an absolute Waste of money!!!
Reply #7 Nov 28, 2016 12:18 AM
<p> </p> ]
I don&#39;t think it&#39;s the brand of bed. I think it&#39;s the pillowtop causing the problem. After I got mine (gone now, thank god) I read hundreds of reviews and I can&#39;t remember a single person who was still happy with their pillowtop after 2 years. In fact in most cases, they were disgusted after a few months when they ended up sleeping in a crater. The only people posting glowing reviews had had them only&nbsp;a few days to a month or so.
[/quote wrote:
That has been my experience too. I had purchased a pillowtop before and after a few years of use and sagging (I only weigh 160lbs), I promised i would not buy another pillowtop. I believe that the foam used in pillowtops are typically fairly cheap (2lbs or less in density) and are not built to last.
Reply #8 Dec 4, 2016 1:35 PM
This is exactly what needs to be done when a company doesn't stand by their product. Get the word out. Well done. A 3 year lifespan for a mattress is a joke. With the amount of use and abuse hotel mattresses take, I would agree with you that they likely don't use the same mattresses in the hotels. Its probably a commercial version designed to be more durable and last longer. Thanks for sharing. Based on your experience I myself will question the business practices of Simmons and their willingness to stand by their products. - Derek

Recent Posts