DIY memory foam mattress & Sleepwarehouse.com??
Jul 9, 2010 10:23 PM
Old member here.  Haven't been on this board in forever.  Previously, I tried to make a latex bed work for me.  At the time, I bought the latex from Memoryfoam.com.  Apparently, they've changed hands?  Also, they have on their website a BBB rating of 'A+' (a non-clickable icon)...but if you look them up, they're an 'F' rating.  Obviously, I'm hesitant to do business with them again.  I've also noticed they have multiple other websites under different names, selling the same products.  I find the whole thing disturbing.  I remember a much different place when Mark (Batman on this board) owned it.

I read on their website about a 6lb. density foam they sell.  Since I had a bad experience experimenting with latex before, I think I'm going for a memory foam mattress this time around.  I've heard of Sensus before.  I've also noticed that Foamex is going by a different name now?  FXI?  Obviously, I'm kindof 'out of the loop' again on what is available. 

I know the base should be a HD foam with at least one memory foam top layer.  I was going to try to find the foam and make it myself...but was having problem finding base foams.  I did find the following:

http://www.foamdistributing.com/products/lux-hqM.html

...which seems like it would work as a base for the bed.

I then went looking for the top layer of memory foam.  Sigh.  Nothing like alot of choices. Memoryfoam.com lists a 4" 6lb. memory foam topper for: $679 (queen).  Ouch.  LOL.  3" 6lb: $519.  It's advertised as 'cooler' and is soy based.  Whatever.  lol.

Not sure what depth to buy, but I'm pretty sure I'm looking at either 3" or 4".  I'm 220lb., but most of that is in the middle (hence my problem with latex beds...'pear shaped').  So unsure on the depth.

Wasn't sure if Sensus was still around, so did a Google search and stumbled across Sleepwarehouse.com.  Seems like all their foams are US made by Foamex (now FXI).  They have the following pre-packaged memory foam bed for sale:

http://www.sleepwarehouse.com/memory-foam-mattress.aspx

This interested me.  I can switch the base foams around if I want to, and everything isn't all glued together.  I did find alot of typos on their website, outdated information and broken links.  The picture for the above conflicts with the information that is below it regarding the ILD of the base layers (and amount of base layers). 

Throw into the mix that they offer what appears to be Aerus Natural (4lb).  It's supposedly a 'natural' foam and is soy-based and supposedly 'cooler' than regular memory foam.

I had also read here to look for 6" base of M-Grade foam from overnightmattress.com.  I did call the company a couple days ago about that.  They only offer the M-Grade foam base in 9" depth...and it's $400+.  Gulp...

Decisions decisions.  I'm wondering if I should buy the base material from foamdistributing.com and a 4" topper from sleepwarehouse.com...or save myself the headace (hopefully) and try the sleepwarehouse bed in the link above...and have a 3" memory foam layer on top with varying ILD base layers.

Anyone have experience with sleepwarehouse.com?  Their BBB rating is pretty solid.  Their website...seriously needs some help. lol.  Any other thoughts about a DYI memory foam mattress?

Thanks everyone in advance ;)

Flamanar

This message was modified Jul 10, 2010 by flamanar

Recent Posts