dfran1 and dallasgirl - have you found any bed yet that you like?
Nov 4, 2011 1:46 PM
Hello posters,  dfran1 and dallasgirl. Have you found any bed that you like?

I have read postings from both of you.

About tempurpedics - you say that they are good in begining but soften up and lose support soon. CORRECT. 

That they have not enough support. That they are way overpriced.

What is the purpose if they are way overpriced and offer no support?

is this with all tempurpedics?

That latex looks GOOD ON PAPER but not when you sleep.

Is this with all types of latex? Real latex and blended latex?

Yesterday I went to Savvyrest in Dallas. And tried out all latex they had.

All of them have "PUSHBACK" LIKE the latex is PINCHING ME WHEN I SLEEP.

NO GOOD.

I tried dunlop and I tried talalay latex. and I tried combinations.

NOTHING WORKED.

THE SALESMAN KEPT ON TELLING ME HOW GOOD IT IS. THAT IT IS ORGANIC.

hell I don't care if it is not comfortable at all.

I got so FRUSTRATED WITH HIS ORGANIC RANT THAT I TOLD HIM THAT "DIRT IS ORGANIC"! 

LOL.

I am in the same boat. If it is not tempurpedic or latex what can I sleep ON?

DO THEY OR DON'T THEY MAKE  GOOD BEDS IN AMERICA THE SUPPOSEDLY THE MOST ADVANCED NATION ON EARTH?

This message was modified Nov 4, 2011 by Joed
Re: dfran1 and dallasgirl - have you found any bed yet that you like?
Reply #1 Nov 4, 2011 8:40 PM
Hi Joed!

In a hurry now, but I will respond to your post in detail later or tomorrow!!!

Reply #2 Nov 5, 2011 11:27 AM
Hi Joed!

Unfortunately, I haven't found a mattress yet that I would confidently recommend to friends or others sad

Have you had a Tempurpedic? I have not. So, I cannot say for sure on the softening, but it's something I'm seriously trying to look into now. I am perplexed about Tempurpedic to be honest. All the friends I have who own them love them. When I go to mattress stores, salesmen RAVE about them. I mean, they basically make it sound like it's THE BEST and only option that they are confident in. Even when comparing against other very expensive mattresses- so not that they would make more money on the Tempurpedic than another comparable priced one? Unless Tempurpedic provides some additional kick backs or incentives to the stores and that's why they never sell them for a discount. Or like some kind of hold back on volume like a car dealership. No idea. And yet, then you read several complaints about them and the softening, sagging, etc...- not from everyone, but certainly they are out there.

I've had old school flippable firm mattresses (good, but only queen size), two Westin Heavenly beds (sag!), SleepEZ latex (just could never get it right), a super firm cheapo from Sam's (like concrete), and now this Sealy Embody Introspection. For a few months I loved the Introspection, but the jury is still way out on this. Honestly, my husband doesnt like the feel of most Tempurpedics, so we chose the Embody. But, the Embody is pretty new to the market, not a ton of reviews, and not proven to be durable in the long run, which is why I'm not sure I'd recommend it yet. It seems like after just a few months, it's turning to mush and we were both getting a back ache again. I rotated it head to foot & problem solved. So, wondering if this end will turn to mush in a few more months and then I'll be returning it to Mattress Firm if so.

Yesterday I went back to Sovn (Inwood Village). From what I can tell, I really love that place. Seems to be very high quality stuff from Berkeley Ergonomics. I used to love their 8" 100% latex, but now that I've tried latex at home, I realize even their "A" soft model isn't quite "snuggly" enough for me unless I also add the $1,000 topper. But- I did have kind of a break through there yesterday. I really liked the Willow "C"- it's firmer honeycomb coils on the base and 2" of soft talalay latex on top (25ILD I believe). That seemed like maybe a good amount of support underneath, but soft enough on top. She did say that you can return for a 20% restocking, but no one ever does b/c you have 60 days for starters to adjust your bed slats & layers. Even swap out the whole coil system for a different one or for latex, or softer/firmer top, etc.... They have a 10 full warrantly for NO SAG. The sales lady April is very nice and knowledgeable- she's been there many years. She has this bed- 6 years, still loves it. It's ~$3,400 for the king mattress with adjustable slats. Not cheap at all, but in the range with many of the Tempurpedics.

If this Embody doesnt work out, I'll go one of three routes: 1.) Tempurpedic Bellafina  2.) Some kind of latex memory foam hybrid from Costco for the return policy  or 3.) Something from Sovn.

But- probably the BEST advice I could give at this point would be to buy from one of the following retailers so you dont lose your wallet! I'm slowly beginning to think that this whole industry is just a bunch of garbage and most stores and manufacturers are all about planned obsolescence these days. I do think the independent groups and latex are likely the exception. My parents are still sleeping on 50 year old latex mattresses from Sear's that used to be at my grandmothers house and they still love them. So, I don't doubt the durability of good latex. I just need to find the right balance for me that feels good.

1. Sam's Club- can return for the full length of the warranty
  2. Costco- can basically return online purchases forever
  3. Mattress Firm- 1 year full refund return
  4. Nordstrom- if you go with a Heavenly Bed, you can return forever with a minimal restocking fee
  5. Or maybe an independent place like Sovn or others here that will adjust and fix any issues you may have in the future.

I do wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted!

Reply #3 Nov 5, 2011 3:07 PM
My suggestion to you Joed is don't even ask anyone about Tempurpedics anymore.  You're like a vacuum that sucks in and gives nothing back.  I own a Tempurpedic, tell you all my experience about it, and what do you do?   Offer no thanks or response of any kind.

Then, you turn around and ask other posters what they think about Tempurpedic, and they don't even own the friggen mattress! 

You want somebody to tell you exactly which mattress to buy.  You want to be 100% sure it's the right one for you before purchasing.  Guess what?  You will never know until you go out and purchase one with a good return policy. 

You sleep on a Spring Air.  Of course it's going to suck.  They are probably one of the worst companies on the market today.  They are nowhere around here.

Go ahead and spend your time being wary of the top name brands.  Tempurpedics or other good memory foams are made for people who have some physical problems that most don't have.

I'm out don't know what else to say.

Reply #4 Nov 7, 2011 12:39 PM
slpngoc wrote:

My suggestion to you Joed is don't even ask anyone about Tempurpedics anymore.  You're like a vacuum that sucks in and gives nothing back.  I own a Tempurpedic, tell you all my experience about it, and what do you do?   Offer no thanks or response of any kind.

Then, you turn around and ask other posters what they think about Tempurpedic, and they don't even own the friggen mattress! 

You want somebody to tell you exactly which mattress to buy.  You want to be 100% sure it's the right one for you before purchasing.  Guess what?  You will never know until you go out and purchase one with a good return policy. 

You sleep on a Spring Air.  Of course it's going to suck.  They are probably one of the worst companies on the market today.  They are nowhere around here.

Go ahead and spend your time being wary of the top name brands.  Tempurpedics or other good memory foams are made for people who have some physical problems that most don't have.

I'm out don't know what else to say.

Giving orders? You own this board now? Hmm getting rude and ruder with more posters. what is your problem?

Reply #5 Nov 7, 2011 12:41 PM
Joed, tempurpedic cloud would not provide you with more support or cushion. It is thin at 8 inches. It has only 2.8 inches of tempur foam. So as it softens up, you will feel the hard foam underneath. My advise, don't buy it.
Reply #6 Nov 7, 2011 2:40 PM
Ironically, my favorite mattress to date is an old Spring Air in our guest room. Used to be in our master & was a family hand me down. But, I love that thing and whenever I have back pain with mattresses in our master bedroom, I retreat to the guest room for a few days and the back pain is gone. Ha. The only reason we no longer sleep on it is b/c we've gotten used to a king. Neither my husband or I are small people, so going back to a Queen size is nearly impossible! But, we do sleep in there together sometimes even though we could no longer do it long term. BUT- this mattress is firm!

That said, it's kind of ironic that it's my favorite b/c from what I understand, I woudl not at all recommend buying a Spring Air today- I think they've had a hard time with the economy, and their quality has really suffered. IF it was ever that good to start with. Who knows. But, the old one we have has been great for us. But, I dont plan to invest in another one b/c I think maybe we were just lucky on this one. Or maybe they made them sturdier back then!

Reply #7 Nov 7, 2011 8:17 PM
roy1 wrote:

Joed, tempurpedic cloud would not provide you with more support or cushion. It is thin at 8 inches. It has only 2.8 inches of tempur foam. So as it softens up, you will feel the hard foam underneath. My advise, don't buy it.

How do you know?   Do you or have you owned one?  Have you owned any memory foam or Tempurpedics.  If so, what brands and models?

Reply #8 Nov 8, 2011 3:15 PM
To the original poster, sorry about my harsh criticism above, you didn't deserve it.  I'm not going to change it cause it's already out there.

About other's claims of an x" thick mattress will do such and such, I'd like to see that backed up with personal experience.

This message was modified Nov 8, 2011 by slpngoc

Recent Posts