Desperate for sleep - Herniated disc sufferer looking for mattress/topper solution
Sep 18, 2009 11:06 AM
Last spring I started experiencing back issues. Since hubby was too, we thought it was time for a new mattress. After it was ordered, but before it was delivered, I stopped sleeping through the night. That was May 27 - for the most part I get no more than 3-4 hours of sleep per night since then. I soon discovered I have a herniated disc - L/4-L/5 that I am trying to survive without surgery. Hope that the new bed - a Sealy Boheme Plush - would help me sleep didn't last long. It was waaay too soft. After a few months we traded it in for a Sealy Dorinda Plush Firm. Not to sound like Goldilocks, but it was too hard. I could barely eek out 3 hours of sleep on it at first. After a couple weeks we went to talk to the store we bought it from and they said sorry - no more exchanges - unless we want to trade it in for a $2500+ tempurpedic! I am so totally confused about what might work for me, there's no way I can drop that kind of cash on something that I won't be able to return or exchange. I'm thinking the best thing to try to do now is to put a topper on it. From internet research I'm pretty sure I want latex - a mix of natural with synthetic - probably talalay. I've read somewhere to be sure the latex is made in the USA for better quality. Anyone know about that? But what thickness...1", 2"? And what number IDL? (Are those the right initials?) I'm so tired. I can barely deal with this. I really don't want to hassle with ordering things and sending them back. I just want to sleep. I'm like an infant - I'm asleep and awake in 4 hour intervals and eat, go to the bathroom, and cry in between. I feel like the herniation is healing - I'm in a way better place physically than I was in May. But I do feel that if I was on the "just right" matress, I'd be sleeping through the night and well on my way to symptom free for the herniation.

Recent Posts