Deciding to go the latex route
Dec 30, 2010 11:45 AM
Our latex topper on our old spring mattress isn't cutting it anymore, so we've decided to go all latex, and order off the net.  We're looking at king size. Im 5'11"200, side and stomach sleeper. Wife is 5'10", 155, side and back sleeper. 

We're considering a talalay blended, 5.5" core base and 2" ILD 22 topper on our existing box springs from Az premium, with zippered 1.5" cotton/wool cover (Adjustable Ultra Plush Latex Sleep System). Thinking firm base for me and medium for her, not sure what those ILDs would be?

Would 3 layers be a better choice for a couple like us?  Any other advice you may have would be most appreciated.

Re: Deciding to go the latex route
Reply #1 Dec 30, 2010 11:55 AM
You don't mention what the base ILD is that you are considering and 2" of 22 may not be soft enough for side sleeping although not sure what the 1.5" cover will do to it.  I'm sure you will get other opinions soon.  Latex seems like a good route to take for many people.  One of the more prolific posters ended up with this after considerable thought.  It may be a good starting place to begin your search:  http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-mattress-arrived/15666-0-1.html
This message was modified Dec 30, 2010 by Sall
Reply #2 Dec 30, 2010 12:30 PM
A couple of questions that may help.

Was there a time that the mattress you have was working OK and if it was what brand and model is it. Sometimes it can help to get a sense of what has worked for you in the past.

Do you know the ILD and thickness of your topper?

Have you tested out any mattresses in the stores to get a sense of what may work for you?

The biggest difficulty I can see is the difference in needs between your stomach and side sleeping. Side sleeping generally needs thicker and softer to allow enough sinking in to accomodate the bony parts and let the shoulders sink in enough for alignment. Stomach sleeping generally needs thinner and firmer on top to prevent hammocking which can hyperextend the lumbar. In general it is usually best to build to the position that needs the most "sinking in" and then use the firmest and thinnest comfort layer that works for this position. Stomach sleeping also needs a much thinner pillow (and sometimes no pillow) than side sleeping to keep you in alignment. It can also help to use a pillow under your pelvic area when you are sleeping on your stomach if your "side sleeping" layering is too thick and soft for sleeping on your stomach.

The best thing you can do (if you haven't already) is check out latex mattresses in the stores that have a known construction in terms of the ILD and thickness of the layers and then use the results of your testing as your guideline for ordering online.

Phoenix

Reply #3 Dec 31, 2010 11:35 AM
Phoenix wrote:

A couple of questions that may help.

Was there a time that the mattress you have was working OK and if it was what brand and model is it. Sometimes it can help to get a sense of what has worked for you in the past.

Do you know the ILD and thickness of your topper?

Have you tested out any mattresses in the stores to get a sense of what may work for you?

The biggest difficulty I can see is the difference in needs between your stomach and side sleeping. Side sleeping generally needs thicker and softer to allow enough sinking in to accomodate the bony parts and let the shoulders sink in enough for alignment. Stomach sleeping generally needs thinner and firmer on top to prevent hammocking which can hyperextend the lumbar. In general it is usually best to build to the position that needs the most "sinking in" and then use the firmest and thinnest comfort layer that works for this position. Stomach sleeping also needs a much thinner pillow (and sometimes no pillow) than side sleeping to keep you in alignment. It can also help to use a pillow under your pelvic area when you are sleeping on your stomach if your "side sleeping" layering is too thick and soft for sleeping on your stomach.

The best thing you can do (if you haven't already) is check out latex mattresses in the stores that have a known construction in terms of the ILD and thickness of the layers and then use the results of your testing as your guideline for ordering online.

Phoenix

Yes, it was okay the first couple/few years. It's a Serta perfect sleeper chesapeake, if that means anything. The topper is only about an inch, and not sure what the ILD is, very soft.  But I can start to feel the springs and it dips down in the middle too much at this point, which I assume means the cheap foam has seperated and deteriorated.

We've tested lots of mattresses, including air, which my wife liked, but I wasn't sold on it. There don't seem to be too many around here (DC) that have latex to try, unfortunately.

Reply #4 Dec 31, 2010 4:49 PM
You have a few options that sell latex in the DC area and I would certainly try them out as it's the most accurate way to tell what type of layering works best for you.

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/more_ways_to_shop/stores/store.ftl?x=washington_dc Retailer. They sell a wide range of latex mattresses made by Restwell including custom layering.

http://www.zfurniture.com/aboutz.html Retailer. They sell Sensa mattresses which have different latex options (their Z pedic is Sensa)

http://www.lemoynesleeper.com/locations.html Manufacturer. They manufacture latex mattresses and have a list of retail outlets some of which may be close to you

http://www.sleepys.com/ Retailer. They carry a line of mattresses called "Pure latex bliss" which are very good testing grounds

http://www.healthyback.com/storelocs/storelocs.php Retailer. They also carry Pure latex bliss and may have a wider variety

This should give you something to "test out" and put you in a much better position to order online.

Phoenix

PS: I would strongly consider a slatted foundation instead of your boxsprings. A foundation is generally much better to use with an all foam mattress and I believe this would be especially true with your stomach sleeping where it could easily contribute to hammocking.

This message was modified May 29, 2012 by a moderator

Recent Posts