Curious about Stearns and Foster mattresses
Sep 6, 2009 7:57 PM
Can anyone explain this stuff from Stearns and Foster's web site? (  http://www.stearnsandfoster.com/Estate_Product.aspx )

They state:
"Divinely Indulgent Sleep Surface.
Working in tandem with our IntelliCoil design, our new proprietary cushioning materials (called Variable Response Technology®) give you relief where you feel the most pressure while you sleep: on your shoulders, hips and knees. No more tingly hands. No more painful backaches in the morning."

Sounds great, but I could not find any specs as to what their proprietary cushioning materials are. Is it PU foam? Is it at least HR or M-grade? or is just cheap PU? Or is there no pu, only latex? (I doubt that) Does proprietary mean they won't tell us, or does it mean only that they have a patent or something on it?

Also, they apparently make their own springs and their springs look interesting to say the least... but what gauge are they? . Are they individual pocket coils or regular type - more like Bonnell? Hard to tell from their description. I wonder how many coils per Queen...

Anyone who knows, I'd be curious of the above questions, particularly whether or not they use pu foam in them, and how much pu foam would be found in their firmer mattresses?
This message was modified Sep 6, 2009 by jimsocal
Re: Curious about Stearns and Foster mattresses
Reply #4 Sep 7, 2009 2:31 AM
Alexander wrote:
I currently sleep on a Simmons Black pillowtop called a Rosalyn.

The Blacks have individually pocketed triple braided coils (each coil is actually three smalled braided coils) with a net gauge of 11.75. The pillowtop is composed of 3" of Talalay Latex covered in cashmere and alpaca loft for cool summer sleeping. It's surrounded by a high density 3" foam encasing. It is insanely heavy.

If you broke into my house I would let you take my wife before I'd let you take my bed.

Alex: Saying that you would allow a thief, after breaking into your house, to steal your wife rather than your mattress is a pretty graphic statement. But I'll take you at your word.

I thought after all of the detailed information about Sealy and Stearns and Foster mattresses that you must work for them. I am surprised to learn that you're actually sleeping on a competitors mattress. What kind of work do you actually do.You seem to be quite knowledgeable about mattresses, let me ask you your opinion about foundations for latex mattresses.
I have actually started a new thread on this subject with more explanation than I will give here.

What is your opinion about the necessity for a ventilated foundation for a latex mattress. I ask this because I have a good foundation but it does not have ventilation as it is for a water bed. I have gotten conflicting opinions on the necessity for a ventilated foundation for a latex mattress. I would like to use my current foundation and save the money, but not if it could harm my new latex mattress that I just ordered.
Reply #5 Sep 7, 2009 3:01 AM
eagle2 wrote:
Alex: Saying that you would allow a thief, after breaking into your house, to steal your wife rather than your mattress is a pretty graphic statement. But I'll take you at your word.

I thought after all of the detailed information about Sealy and Stearns and Foster mattresses that you must work for them. I am surprised to learn that you're actually sleeping on a competitors mattress. What kind of work do you actually do.You seem to be quite knowledgeable about mattresses, let me ask you your opinion about foundations for latex mattresses.
I have actually started a new thread on this subject with more explanation than I will give here.

What is your opinion about the necessity for a ventilated foundation for a latex mattress. I ask this because I have a good foundation but it does not have ventilation as it is for a water bed. I have gotten conflicting opinions on the necessity for a ventilated foundation for a latex mattress. I would like to use my current foundation and save the money, but not if it could harm my new latex mattress that I just ordered.

eagle2, you didn't ask me, but I'd like to give you my feedback anyway if you don't mind.
I think it depends a lot on where you live. If you live in a very humid climate and don't have air conditioning on a lot, then you probably need slats so air can get in. But if you live in a drier climate (California or Nevada for example) then it's probably not necessary unless you live right on the beach where a lot of fog rolls in at times.
That's just my opinion based on things I've read and heard. Maybe Alexander knows more...

Alexander, I used to HATE Simmons because I had one of their cheap, bad ones with the old style glued coils. However after hearing your description I must say that sounds like it could work! Do you know what ILD and type of latex the topper is on  your Simmons?
Reply #6 Sep 7, 2009 3:23 AM
Jim: Thanks for your response regarding the foundation for a latex bed. Your ideas make sense to me, however I am going to look forward to seeing the bottom of my waterbed once I get it removed. If there is not problems with mildew then I will feel pretty safe since a waterbed should be more of a problem than a latex bed. Interesting question.

One thing about these slat foundations….the cost! Some as high as $800.00. I have found one that is fairly popular for $250.00 the VersiFlex, or some such name.
Reply #7 Sep 9, 2009 11:33 PM
Someone on the list bought one of these beds and asked me what I thought...I did some research and was told that the PU foam inside had different ilds because of the holes drilled in it(like latex holes...)...the more holes, the softer.  The springs sound intriguing to me.  Anyway, he bought one of these mattresses and did not like it at all.
Just a FYI.
I've mentioned before that so many things in life are simply gimmicks...and I wonder how many of these crazy springs and special foams are such. 
Kait
Reply #8 Sep 13, 2009 10:07 PM
You're right, the S&F marketing terms sound good -- but performance didn't live up to the hype on the top of the line mattress we bought we bought 3 years ago. The plush level cushioning formed a noticeable hump in the middle within 1.5 years and now the mattress is unusable to us.

Also the current issue of Consumer Reports lists S&F as the next to worst brand in their customer satisfaction survey so I don't think we're the only ones with this experience. Sad since they used to be considered the gold standard and still charge that way.
Reply #9 Sep 14, 2009 11:09 AM
twalkman wrote:
You're right, the S&F marketing terms sound good -- but performance didn't live up to the hype on the top of the line mattress we bought we bought 3 years ago. The plush level cushioning formed a noticeable hump in the middle within 1.5 years and now the mattress is unusable to us.

Also the current issue of Consumer Reports lists S&F as the next to worst brand in their customer satisfaction survey so I don't think we're the only ones with this experience. Sad since they used to be considered the gold standard and still charge that way.

The current Stearns and Foster spring and foam systems are unrelated to both yours and the ones in the Consumer Reports survey. They've redesigned the bed since then.

-Alex

Reply #10 Sep 14, 2009 12:23 PM
So, Alex, do you have any ideas about why their older style mattresses failed for so many of us?
Kait
Reply #11 Sep 14, 2009 12:42 PM
I do not.

I noticed an increase in the warranty exchange rate for mattresses purchased during that time as well. It was enough for Stearns to do a redesign.

If I had to make a professional guess I'd say it had to do with the coil on coil design. Poor support for the top coils.

-Alex

Reply #12 Sep 14, 2009 2:41 PM
Alexander wrote:

If I had to make a professional guess I'd say it had to do with the coil on coil design. Poor support for the top coils.

-Alex

Interesting. That inspired me to go to do a search on S&F coil on coil design. I found this at their website:  http://www.stearnsandfoster.com/mattressStyle.aspx

It appears they are still using a coil on coil design. This certainly makes it look incredibly impressive and build well enough to last 20 years. The fact that it's lasting 1.5 years for low weight people must mean that it is some foam breaking down. Perhaps it's the layer of foam between the coils, although it really feels like it's more of the top padding.

But this is helpful in giving me something else to consider when I open up the mattress.

p.s.  I sure wouldn't buy another S&F mattress for at least 3-5 years from now to find out if they've really solved their durability problem. Especially considering their standard for warranty replacement has left previous customers out of luck (and money).
This message was modified Sep 14, 2009 by twalkman
Reply #13 Sep 14, 2009 4:12 PM
twalkman wrote:
Interesting. That inspired me to go to do a search on S&F coil on coil design. I found this at their website:  http://www.stearnsandfoster.com/mattressStyle.aspx

It appears they are still using a coil on coil design. This certainly makes it look incredibly impressive and build well enough to last 20 years. The fact that it's lasting 1.5 years for low weight people must mean that it is some foam breaking down. Perhaps it's the layer of foam between the coils, although it really feels like it's more of the top padding.

But this is helpful in giving me something else to consider when I open up the mattress.

p.s.  I sure wouldn't buy another S&F mattress for at least 3-5 years from now to find out if they've really solved their durability problem. Especially considering their standard for warranty replacement has left previous customers out of luck (and money).

The current Estate Stearns and Foster coil is not coil on coil. It's coil IN coil.

You have to keep things in perspective here. Even when a bed has a high enough warranty rate to incite a manufacturer for a redesign it's still probably under 5%. Even with the older coil design, just because the Stearns didn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for most people.

My son sleeps on the current Intellicoil latex pillowtop and has nothing but positive things to say about it.

One of many reasons you should never make a buying decision based on customer reviews.

-Alex

Recent Posts