COULD the problem be the type of innerspring coils I have?
Sep 22, 2007 10:44 PM
<P>Okay, after another miserable night of lower back pain continuing into the day, I MIGHT have found my answer to why my mattress isn't giving me the support my body is craving. After clearing off the top of a daybed I have in my computer room, I laid on it. FIRM! It's actually the very same mattress my daughter has on her daybed. I've softened hers with a layer of the Overstock latex with a plush fiber bed on top of that, all tucked under a nice mattress pad. She sleeps fine.<BR><BR><BR>Anyway, I put an Overstock latex topper on top of this other daybed and proceeded to take a little nap on it. I first changed the bed to make it fresh. Well, well. My back starting feeling better already. I was actually able to lie on my back and side and feel like I was supported well in all positions without pressure points. I know the latex topper helped to cushion everything. It's funny how it feels firmer on an extra firm bed. That same topper on my other bed seemed to sink in.<BR><BR><BR>So, this daybed was purchased by my same mattress guy around 12 years ago. it doesn't get much use since it's in my office usually collecting "junk". So, yes, the mattress is still firm without body impressions. I'm sure my daughter's has more wear and tear, although she's 15, so much of it was when she was small.<BR><BR><BR>The mattress itself is an offbrand made in Oakland, CA at a place called Estates Mattress Co. Or at least distributed from there. I'll give them a call and see if they still have the specs. I'm curious to see what the innerspring coils are. I'm thinking they're your basic Bonnell coil. I'm not sure of the gauge, but because of the firmness it might even be a 12 and 3/4. Definitely a 13. Not sure of the coil count. I'm sure the foam used in this mattress isn't super-high quality, but on the other hand, it's not a pillow top and it does have two sides. Not too heavy, either. Easy to flip. I'm beginning to think the lower-priced mattresses, while not as "purdy and plush" are actually more practical and versatile. You can add or subtract toppers as needed. And, I bet some of the&nbsp;PU foam inside is the same&nbsp;on all models.<BR><BR><BR>So, I really wonder if part of my mattress issue is the type of coils I have. My mattress guy really felt the LuraFlex (not the highest count, either) would be a good match for me. Why? Supportive and yet, conforming. A medium support. I questioned that later, but now I'm wondering if I should have looked into it more and maybe insisted he give me a firmer&nbsp;innerspring system. Or at least a LuraFlex with the maximum coils to make it even more firm. I'm just thinking that "conforming" is a naughty word for my back. I just think I can make it as conforming as I want merely by adding different comfort layers over the firm base. <BR><BR><BR>In the meantime, I looked online and found this site.&nbsp; http://www.exceldistributors.com/-strse-27/innerspring-mattress,-queen-mattress/Detail.bok<BR><BR><BR>(they also sell through Amazon. Free shipping both places).&nbsp;I happen to have a $50 rewards certificate for Amazon, so I might just order it there. In case the link is garbled here, it's Excel Distributing. Click on Home Bedding link. I'm looking at the Deluxe FIRM innerspring mattress. No boxsprings. I have a virtually brand new one as it is. On Amazon I can get this mattress delivered for $149. I'm really considering it. Gee, I've bought mattress toppers adding up to more than that. If I just can't stand it, I can always sell it on Craigslist for what I paid for it. It's got a 10 year warranty and they use Bonnell coils. Hey, for this price and I really liked it, I would buy&nbsp;a new one every year just to have it "like new".&nbsp; LOL<BR><BR><BR>After sleeping on my spare daybed tonight and hoping that it's similar to the one online, and IF I like it, I'll try adding the fiber bed topper and see if it makes it even nicer, but still feeling firm. And, if I still like it, I might first of all contact my mattress guy and ask him if he still sells that mattress or if he at least knows what's inside. If it's similar to the one online and he doesn't have anymore or charges too much, I might just go with the latter.<BR><BR><BR>So, does anyone feel they've had success with the good old fashioned Bonnell coils with a decent gauge and coil count? I'm beginning to wonder if too many mattress companies are trying to re-invent the wheel. So many options and comfort layers and coils and this and that out there now! It's mind boggling...and, in my case, BACK boggling!<BR><BR><BR>I'll keep you updated!&nbsp;<BR><BR> P.S. I really did type nice paragraphs here. So if my post shows up without them, I tried!<BR><BR></P>
This message was modified Sep 22, 2007 by BeddyBye

Recent Posts