Costco Sealy "Sedona Springs Ultra Plush" mattress...I'm at my wit's end with mattresses!
Jan 31, 2008 4:12 AM
First off, I should reveal that I prefer sleeping on my back or on my stomach. I'm about 5'6", in the 130 pound range. I slept on a Sealy Posturepedic mattress for about 19 years that never gave me a problem (I added a foam topper to it), but I let the mattress delivery men take it away when my new Simmons Beautyrest Exceptionale plush mattress was delivered a year or so ago. If I had known then what I know now about the mattressses of today, I would have happily kept my old mattress. The Beautyrest was uncomfortable and didn't provide enough back support...when I slept on my stomach, my back was arching forward too much. I tried a Simmons Westin Heavenly Bed which is a pillowtop mattress that receives rave reviews...I would wake up every morning with lower back pain, but as soon as I got out of bed, the back pain disappeared. When I would wake up on that mattress, I couldn't just lay in bed and fall back asleep because the lower back pain would keep me awake. I only experienced the lower back pain when I woke up on that mattress. Then I started sleeping on a raised Aerobed mattress (inflates with air), and I have been sleeping comfortably on it for the past 6 months as a temporary solution. I never woke up with lower back pain and slept soundly through the night on my back.

So now I just received my new mattress this week, a Sealy "Sedona Springs Ultra Plush" mattress from Costco, and the first night sleeping on it was hell. I woke up about 10 times during the night with tingling in my hands,  I was tossing and turning all night, and I woke up with lower back pain!  But when I got out of bed, the lower back pain disappeared. The mattress feels too firm for me and it doesn't have a springy feel to it (hard to describe in words), and the plush layers feel somewhat firm. I thought that this mattress would be good since it has 1-1/2" x 1/2" convoluted memory foam, but the mattress doesn't seem like it provides good pressure relief on pressure points. I'm disappointed that I was not able to get a good night's rest. I understand that every mattress takes getting used to, but being woken up by tingling in my hands and not being able to sleep in one position for long annoys me. I REALLY want this mattress to work, but I can't force it to be comfortable for me. I'm really tired of looking for a mattress by now...I never knew mattress shopping would be like this. I have to once and for all find a mattress that works for me...I just can't believe I'm having problems with mattresses.

I don't understand what it is that I cannot find a comfortable mattress. Why is it so hard to find a mattress that won't cause discomfort? I received samples of latex from Flobeds kit, but I've never slept on a latex mattress and don't know if it will give proper back support. It would be a gamble for me to order a Flobed by mail, and it's not cheap to return the latex cores. There is a Stearns & Foster "Jasmine Dreams" Ultra Plush Latex mattress at Macy's which felt comfortable in the store, but again, I don't know  what a latex mattress is like to sleep on and I'm unsure whether a S&F latex is good quality. Does anyone know about the quality of S&F latex mattresses?

So what does a synthetic talalay latex mattress feel like to sleep on compared to an innerspring mattress? I realize latex has different ILD's.

Here are the specifications for my current Sealy "Sedona Springs Ultra Plush" mattress to give you an idea of how it's made...in full size:

• Luxurious knit cover
  • 1 oz. FlameGuard™FiberLux® Fiber
  • 1 ½” x ½” Convoluted Memory Foam
  • ½” SuperSoft Sealy Foam®    
  • 1 ½” x ½” Sculpture Foam®
  • ½” SuperSoft Sealy Foam®    
  • 2” x 1” Pressure Point Foam™
  • Comfort Support System™               
  • FlameGuard Protection™
  • Inner-Tufted™
  • Cloth handles
  • 640 coils