Consdiering a Tempur-Pedic need advice
May 5, 2012 5:01 PM
I think I have tempur-pedic after trying most of them out. I have narrowed my decision down to 2 or 3 of them. I am looking at the Allura, clould luxe, and grand bed. I don't think I am going to go with the grand bed because it feels a bit too firm and it's the most expensive.

Anyhow I currently have a pillow top spring mattress that I had since 2004 and it has been sagging for a while espically the pillow top, so it is time for a change. I know tempur-pedics come with a high price tag which I am willing to invest in. If I make the leap would there be any reason why I would want to change? Am I going to feel like it's a new bed every night? The mattress sales people are telling me it will improve my health. One person says they don't need an alarm clock anymore and they just wake up because they are so rested. I know they come with a great warranry and 90 day trial period. I just hope they last as long as they claim.

Now my bedroom set is a platform bed with wood slats. Tempur-Pedic sells a low profile flat surface foundation that goes over the wood slats. Do I need that? I have heard mixed reviews. Some people saying putting the mattress on the slats alone wont work properly others are saying I should be fine.

As for mattress protector can I use any mattress protector or is it recommened to buy the one from tempur-pediuc or one specfially made for their beds? How about sheets do they fit snug? I have read they come off easily? I want them to fit properly. The mattresses I am considering are roughly 13" in thickness not sure if I need deep pocket sheets or not?

I am going to deal with my current mattress until I decide which tempur-pedic to purchase as I want to pay for it up front and don't want to finance it either. So that will give me some time to make my decision.

I would appreciate it if anyone could respond to the above questions and help me out.

Thanks

Re: Consdiering a Tempur-Pedic need advice
Reply #1 May 6, 2012 12:05 AM
Some people love memory foam mattresses and some people hate them. If you have determined that you are a memory foam mattress person then the only objections to Tempurpedic are the price and the warranty. The only suggestions I have are you might look at plushbeds.com and myessentia.com mattresses and see if you want to buy from them instead of Tempurpedic.

Most mattress protectors are pretty thin and tranfer heat well. You cannot choose an insulating mattress protector.

In general, sheet pockets need to be 2 inches deeper than the mattress to fit well, so you want at least a 15" mattress pocket.

Reply #2 May 7, 2012 3:24 PM
I have had the Allura 3 years now.  Best investment I've made in a long time.  It is not a soft mattress to me, even though it has a pillowtop.  It wasn't an easy transition; especially coming from a soft latex pillowtop.  But I did get used to it and now love it.  

They didn't have the Cloud models when I got mine; however, I think the cloud models would be to soft for my liking now.

I personally would use the lower boxes if your putting it on slats.  Or get rid of the slats and put the adjustable base under it (This is what I did).

I would use the Tempurpedic protector.  It made a difference for me.  I originally used my old thicker percale protector.  It had a negative affect on my mattress.  Also, I have dreamfit sheets with the heavy duty elastic band and additional corner straps that keep them on real well. They work awesome for beds with adjustable bases. They should work even better with a flat set.  And the sheets are fantastic.

Purchasing a bed on line to me is mattress roulette.  It's not in my best interest.

I hope this helps.

Reply #3 May 7, 2012 8:59 PM
Spend at least 15 minutes on each bed that you have narrowed your search down to.   If you predominantly sleep on your side then Cloud Luxe is an excellent choice.  Back and Side sleeping the Allura is an excellent choice.  If you sleep on your stomach you should avoid the Grand Bed.  The feel is the deal so make sure the mattress feels supportive, comfortable, and restful to you.  Your opinion and listening to your body is the only way to make a lasting decision.

Regarding your question on the foundation.  Tempur-Pedic offers a 5" profile foundation that will work terrific with your new mattress.  Down the road if you experience a warranty issue with the mattress there will be no questions if you have a firm, inflexible, foundation and a mattress protector.  Only purchase a mattress protector that is thin and breathable.  Tempur-Pedic offers a high quality product that is manufactured by a reputable company.  Protect A Bed manufacturers an excellent mattress protector as well.

Many retailers offer Tempur-Pedic sheets.  I personally own several sets of Tempur-Pedic sheets and they are terrific.  The sheets are manufactured by a terrific company based in Alabama.

Hope the above helps.

Reply #4 May 8, 2012 6:34 PM
Good_Sleep wrote:

I have had the Allura 3 years now.  Best investment I've made in a long time.  It is not a soft mattress to me, even though it has a pillowtop.  It wasn't an easy transition; especially coming from a soft latex pillowtop.  But I did get used to it and now love it.  

They didn't have the Cloud models when I got mine; however, I think the cloud models would be to soft for my liking now.

I personally would use the lower boxes if your putting it on slats.  Or get rid of the slats and put the adjustable base under it (This is what I did).

I would use the Tempurpedic protector.  It made a difference for me.  I originally used my old thicker percale protector.  It had a negative affect on my mattress.  Also, I have dreamfit sheets with the heavy duty elastic band and additional corner straps that keep them on real well. They work awesome for beds with adjustable bases. They should work even better with a flat set.  And the sheets are fantastic.

Purchasing a bed on line to me is mattress roulette.  It's not in my best interest.

I hope this helps.

what mattress protector do you use?

which was do you sleep? back? stomach? side?

how much do you weigh?

has your mattress softened?

which sheets do you use? where did you by them?

thanks so much?

Reply #5 May 9, 2012 11:54 AM
I just got off the phone with the sales manager from sleepys and he told me that he has an allura floor model on clearence. I would say around 1400 off retial price. The only difference is there would be no 90 day tryout as the sale would be final. I would still get the 20 yr warranty from tempurdic.

I am considering this, but with it being a floor model I know many people have tried it out.

Reply #6 May 9, 2012 3:31 PM
Chris:  Back sleeper 80%, side sleeper 20%.  6'/150lb.

Yes, my mattress has softned over time (Just like my salesperson told me it would).  Not as much as some claim on this forum.  I wish/and hope, it will actually soften up a bit more.  They are quite firm when new, thus taking awhile to get used to.  I walked on it for several days to expedite softening.

I use the Tempurpedic protector.  I bought the sheets on line (Dreamfit brand).  They are the same maker of the Tempurpedic sheets for less, and more choices. I got the degree 3 sheets.  They're awesome.

giacona:  Let your salesman know you can get the same deal somewhere else with an in home trial.  But since you dealt with them first, you wanted to give them an opportunity to match the deal.  If they won't, then use the same tactic somewhere else.  Try to get them to write the deal down if possible.  No in home trial is a big risk on something that costs this much.

As far as a floor model; pre-conditioned and no new smell. Plus a discount.  I would have done it, if they had my configuration available. 

This message was modified May 9, 2012 by Good_Sleep
Reply #7 May 13, 2012 3:51 PM
Good_Sleep wrote:

Yes, my mattress has softned over time (Just like my salesperson told me it would).  Not as much as some claim on this forum.  I wish/and hope, it will actually soften up a bit more.  They are quite firm when new, thus taking awhile to get used to.  I walked on it for several days to expedite softening.

I use the Tempurpedic protector.  I bought the sheets on line (Dreamfit brand).  They are the same maker of the Tempurpedic sheets for less, and more choices. I got the degree 3 sheets.  They're awesome.

giacona:  Let your salesman know you can get the same deal somewhere else with an in home trial.  But since you dealt with them first, you wanted to give them an opportunity to match the deal.  If they won't, then use the same tactic somewhere else.  Try to get them to write the deal down if possible.  No in home trial is a big risk on something that costs this much.

As far as a floor model; pre-conditioned and no new smell. Plus a discount.  I would have done it, if they had my configuration available. 

are you a lady or a guy? asking bec you only weigh 150 lbs! about tempurpedic protector? is it plastic on bottom? does it affect the feel of the mattress you have?asking because there are lots of bad reviews about it.

Reply #8 May 14, 2012 3:03 PM
Sorry.  I'm male.  The protector doesn't bother me.  Yes, it has the waterproof barrier underneath.

Quick story; I had a friend come over with his new sheppard puppy, we got sidetracked and forgot about him.  It was quiet for awhile, and he finally came down stairs. Well a couple hours later when I went upstairs there was the unpleasant oder of urine.  Yes that's right it was on my mattress.  After panicking, I stripped off everything, and then it came down to the protector.  It obviously soaked pretty good down to the protector.  Please protector, please do as they said it would do, 'I pleaded'.  Stripped it off, and 'YES'!  It worked.  If that little thin protector wasn't on there, I'm not sure what I would have done.  I would have paid $200 for that protector to avoid that outcome.  I washed everything about 4 times.  My comforter got tossed.  So, for better or worse, that protector will always stay on my mattress; and any mattress in my house for that matter.

Reply #9 May 14, 2012 7:58 PM
Good_Sleep wrote:

Sorry.  I'm male.  The protector doesn't bother me.  Yes, it has the waterproof barrier underneath.

Quick story; I had a friend come over with his new sheppard puppy, we got sidetracked and forgot about him.  It was quiet for awhile, and he finally came down stairs. Well a couple hours later when I went upstairs there was the unpleasant oder of urine.  Yes that's right it was on my mattress.  After panicking, I stripped off everything, and then it came down to the protector.  It obviously soaked pretty good down to the protector.  Please protector, please do as they said it would do, 'I pleaded'.  Stripped it off, and 'YES'!  It worked.  If that little thin protector wasn't on there, I'm not sure what I would have done.  I would have paid $200 for that protector to avoid that outcome.  I washed everything about 4 times.  My comforter got tossed.  So, for better or worse, that protector will always stay on my mattress; and any mattress in my house for that matter.

the plastic may bother me. Is there any waterproof protector that has no plastic. Just cotton or something else that is not bothersome like plastic.Thanks.

This message was modified May 14, 2012 by chrisw
Reply #10 May 27, 2012 10:49 PM
Well sir own a mattress store and truthfully most memory foam mattresses if theybwere kaid side by side you could not tel the difference theyare so cose. However there are improvements in all and the new cool gel are the best yet and  the cheapest companies are Therapedic and Corsicana we sell the King set at $1099   Good Luck.
Reply #11 May 27, 2012 10:49 PM
Well sir I own a mattress store and truthfully most memory foam mattresses if they were laid side by side you could not tell the difference they are so close in quality and warranty . However there are vast  new improvements in all and the new cool gel are the best yet and  the cheapest companies are Therapedic and Corsicana we sell the King set at $1099 a set...   With Serta.. Simmons...Sealy...Tempurpedic  the name will cost double! 

Good Luck.

This message was modified May 27, 2012 by 1buttwheat
Reply #12 Jun 2, 2012 11:22 AM
You may want to look into the Simmons Comforpedic.  It is half the money and just as comfortable with the air-gel & memory foam.  My wife & I bought the loft and are very happy.
Reply #13 Jun 18, 2012 3:20 PM
Good_Sleep wrote:

which web site did you get those sheets from? for how much? are they deep pocket sheets?

Recent Posts