Comparison of Specifications for Foam Mattresses
Sep 7, 2009 2:13 PM
I am having trouble finding complete specifications on the "major" different brands of foam mattresses (visco or latex/other). Is there a web site that provides this info? I have gone to Company websites and consumer review websites, but the most complete information I have gathered, so far, is on the Tempur-Pedic, which is not surprising. I found a site with ILDs for several, but it appeared dated without the numbers for some major brands that are now offering foam mattresses.

These are the Specs I wish to compare:

Density - lbs per sq foot --- of ALL the layers of foam that comprise the mattress, not just the top layer.

ILD Rating (Indentation Load Deflection) or IFD (???)

Is Foam rated Highly Resilient (HR)? Y/N

Thanks in advance for any directions in finding this info.

Best,

LooKout_n_c
Re: Comparison of Specifications for Foam Mattresses
Reply #1 Sep 8, 2009 2:32 PM
Hmm, no replies. Maybe I should be more specific.

Here is what I have learned so far:

ClassicBed by Tempur-Pedic 5.3 density top two layers, base layer unknown 15 ILD HR unknown
Select Foam Luxuria 10h 5.3 density on top foam, two lower layers unknown 30+ ILD HR unknown
Sleep Innovations Novaform
Elite 4-lb. density 3 top layer, 2-lb. density 9 base 12-16 ILD HR unknown
Bragada avalon 5.3 density .5" & 3 top layers, 2+ density 7.5" base unknown HR unknown

Still looking for specs on
Lady Americana foam mattresses
Simmons, Sealy, Serta,
S&F foam mattresses get terms like quality, comfort, & high density, no ILD # HR unknown
but no real numbers
Reply #2 Sep 8, 2009 2:39 PM
One thing you'll want to remember when comparison shopping is that Tempurpedics are not really made with Memory Foam. Tempur Material is not the same thing. So if you have two beds and one has two 1.5" layers of 5.3lb memory foam and the other has two 1.5" layers of 5.3lb Tempur Material they will not feel the same or respond the same over time.

-Alex

Reply #3 Sep 8, 2009 3:17 PM
If you want to know why you are not receiving more responses to you question read the 'Mattress Surgery" thread by Jim social. It should become obvious to you why this is such a convoluted question. It shouldn't be. But it is.

Good luck!
Reply #4 Oct 5, 2009 12:40 PM
I feel your pain. I've been looking for awhile also with hardly any results. We currently have an American Royal foam mattress from value city furniture. My wife and I have back issues and thought this would be a good investment. That was 2 years ago and we still have pain at night.

I've been doing some research on ILD and density ratings for various mattresses, expecially the one we have now. I can't find any specs on our current mattress. That whopping investment might be one of the reasons we continue to have back pain. I'll keep looking and if I find something I'll let you know, and I would appreciate the same.

take care
Reply #5 Oct 5, 2009 1:09 PM
if you want real specifications for a mattress, and would like to have more say about how it is built, then look into companies like SleepEZ, FloBeds, and Savvy Rest. There is also a company called Habitat that gives you a lot less choice but can give you a great deal of specification about their mattresses, and a great deal of information about latex, as they have one of the best websites with videos that I'm aware of. Habitat, in my humble opinion, also has the easiest most straightforward and specific proposition for a latex mattress. They, as well as FloBeds, also sell air beds and waterbeds.

Most of the people who frequent this website, for any period of time, have many good things to say about FloBeds, Savvy Rest, and Sleep EZ. You can check the archives for information on these companies.
This message was modified Oct 5, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #6 Oct 6, 2009 11:29 AM
I bought a Bragada that was suppose to be similiar to the TP Allura, and the foam seemed soft and unsupportive to me. I did not get the firmest model, but my impression was that it does not provide the same support as TP. I question all of the glowing reviews they get. Since they only take returns if you hassle them, I think I would look elsewhere.

Recent Posts