Comfort exchange - what to look for? Cheap toppers?
Nov 26, 2007 10:55 AM
I am hoping someone can help me with a comfort exchange. I bought a Simmons Beautyrest Classic Plush that felt great in the store, but turns out to be horrible to sleep on (for me). The coils around the edges are firmer than the rest of the bed, so it doesn't provide a sleeping surface with even support. I end up in the middle of the bed or lying diagonally! I weigh 110, am a side sleeper, and slept on a futon for the past ten years. I got rid of the futon because it had a body impression that was uncomfortable for me, and I was beginning to suspect it was a little too firm for my back.

After reading up a lot here, the collective wisdom seems to be to buy a mattress with as little padding as possible and then buy toppers. I only spent $550 on my set, and I am confused by seeing posts that include very expensive toppers (more than $600). If I am able to exchange my bed for one with no pillowtop, can I buy some comfort layers that are a lot less expensive but still work? Where do I get them and how do I know which ones to try?

[I edited this post to make it less rambly and hopefully easier to answer!]
This message was modified Nov 28, 2007 by CorinaB
Re: Comfort exchange - what to look for? Cheap toppers?
Reply #1 Nov 26, 2007 2:35 PM
CorinaB wrote:
I am stuck with a comfort exchange. The store pretty much only carries Simmons and Englander, although I did see one King Koil there.

The additional expense may not be justified, but a Simmons EverNu hotel mattress might be an option (if available to individual consumers).  At least you could unzip the top and experiment with different latex and memory foam comfort layers.
Re: Comfort exchange - what to look for? Cheap toppers?
Reply #2 Nov 28, 2007 12:34 AM
Wow, that looks like a cool mattress, sager66! I'm sure it would be out of my price range if it was available, though. Thanks for your reply!

Recent Posts