Carpe Diem
Sep 24, 2007 3:53 PM
I wanted to thank those that responded to my inquiries and helped us in our decision. We did decide to purchase the Carpe Diem bed from Sleepetc. in Connecticut and the bed is really amazing.

I posted a review and details of our quest for the perfect bed in the review section in order to help others in their quest: http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/reviews/r998.html
Re: Carpe Diem
Reply #1 Sep 25, 2007 1:28 AM
I am glad we could help. I can't wait to read your review. I am so happy that you found a bed that you love.
Reply #2 Sep 25, 2007 2:45 PM
m61376:  I am curious as to your and your partner's height and weight.  I am 5'6", 100 lb and was considering the soft even though they didn't have a soft for me to try.  When they patched me through to the Swedish office the representative over there recommended soft for my weight.  I was reluctant to plunge (having to import it into Canada) without being able to try the soft so I have not proceeded any further.
DianeK
Reply #3 Sep 26, 2007 5:55 PM
DianeK-

I am about the same height but weigh more than you do...I used to think I was thin . I wear a size 8 generally. My husband is 5'8.5" and 145-150. We bought the medium and love it, but buying the firm was a close call. The medium just seemed a bit more plush and comfy.

How did the medium feel to you? At your weight I can understand why they recommended the soft, because the springs compress according to the downward force exerted on them. If the medium felt just a little too firm- comfortable but not giving that "ahhh" feeling when you lied on your back, then the soft might be the better option for you. I agree it is very hard to tell without feeling. If you didn't talk with Jeff, you might want to give him a ring or e-mail to discuss it. Actually, if you have specific questions it would prob. be a really good time to e-mail him, because he is in Sweden now and could check things out for you (I know because my parents are ordering the bed as well and he is checking on something for my mother while he is over there).

Good luck!

Reply #4 Sep 26, 2007 10:34 PM
Thank you for your reply.  Three things stopped me from going ahead with the Carpe Diem:  1.  not being to actually try out the soft,  2. price and getting it from eastern USA to western Canada,  3. my miserable experience with a Flobeds latex kit and not knowing if the latex topper of the Carpe Diems would also be a problem.  Jeff was very helpful where he could be (e.g. patching me through to Sweden while I was in his store - yes I did fly from Alberta to NYC to go the Jeff's store in CT) but in the end the uncertainty regarding me and latex and soft vs. medium left me unwilling to go forward.  I am so glad for you that it has worked out!

DianeK

Reply #5 Sep 27, 2007 9:45 AM
DianeK- Maybe just to confuse you a little more: the latex topper does not have that "latex bed" type feel, I think for two reason- it is covered with a substantial layer of wool on one side/cotton on the other and the mattress itself is a spring mattress. While I did not try out the Flobeds latex kit beds, I did look at Englander latex beds and I, too, wasn't happy with the feel of a latex bed.

Here is something just to throw into the pile for consideration: if you were comfortable on the medium, get that and add a little cush with an additional cheap foam topper. Jeff is also looking into a soft topper made by a different company that supplies them to a lot of hospitals in Sweden that might be an alternative for people without fleshy cushioning (very thin, like in your case, or those with muscle atrophy due to arthritis, etc.). The reason why I am mentioning this is because we have been delving into this for my Mom, who has rheumatoid arthritis and has lost the "padding" around her hip joints. She is also quite thin (but not as thin as you are) and we were playing with my medium bed, which she loves but seems to need a bit more "cush." My parents are ordering the firm mattress and we will either use a cheap replaceable foam topper on top of the Carpe Diem one to add just that little extra bit of cushioning or, depending upon Jeff's assessment of this other topper, use that on my Mom's side rather than the Carpe Diem one. The extra cushioning on the medium made it feel a little too mushy, which is why they are opting for the firm but with a softer topping.

I think when you are looking at these beds, at least to me, it makes sense to look at the firmness and the cushioning a little separately. If you feel that your back support is good on the medium but it isn't cushy enough, then I would think leaning toward just adding a layer of cush would be ideal.

Since it is, of course, hard to "guess" what something might feel like, if you are still desperate enough to do any more travelling, in my opinion at least the Hastens beds gave a similar spring feel as far as firmness, which makes sense since they are using the same spring system. The Korno and Hastens Excelsior were similar in feel wrt spring feel; I just felt the Carpe Diem was cushier and gave that "ahhh" feeling; the Hastens isn't as plush a feel. However, if there is a Hastens dealer in an area that you'll be visiting that carries a soft, that might be a good test. Of course, travelling around shopping for a bed can get a little silly (my hubbie thought I was crazy insisting we drive from Long Island, NY to Conn. ) and the shipping are major factors for you. It depends upon how desperate you are (and after not sleeping for about 9 months I was getting to the "pretty desperate" stage).

Reply #6 Sep 27, 2007 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the info.  Please let me know (you can PM me if you like or post here) how things work out with your mother and the topper issue.

DianeK

Reply #7 Oct 12, 2007 6:42 PM
M6, noticed your post just today, your review of the Korno and the price paid ($11,600).  Was that for a Q or a King?   Thanks...
Reply #8 Oct 18, 2007 4:39 PM
We bought a King-sized set.

It really has changed the way I sleep. Even my hubbie, who has always been a bit of an insomniac, is sleeping better; moreover, he awakens without any back pain.

Reply #9 Mar 6, 2011 12:17 PM
m61376 - Thank you for your excellent review of the Carpe Diem Korno bed. It has been quite some time since you wrote the review but if you happen to receive this response, we'd love to hear your assessment of it now, several years later. So often people review their beds when they're new, but the real asssessment as you will know from your previous beds comes after a few years on them. We were originally about to buy a Hastens Superia but after reading many reviews thought it was worthwhile to drive the 45 minutes to the only shop in Canada (!) that carries Carpe Diem. Just as you describe it is much like the Hastens but a little better owing to the latex in the topper. I really liked the idea of the all natural flax/wool/horsehair and resulting coolness of the Hastens but we were concerned about the maintenance and the settling or flattening of the topper. Maintenance suggests to me that it will not feel exactly as it did in the store over time. Carpe Diem seems to answer these concerns and for a "little more" we were into a bed we wouldn't even be able to consider in the Hastens line. We are comparing the Scandanavian set up of Hastens to the continental (additional mattress) of Carpe Diem. While we're going to spend more, the similar hastens would be way more.

if you happen to read this post, I'd love to hear your review today. And by the way as two very physically active people, we loved your take as a physio therapist. Thanks again.

Reply #10 Mar 7, 2011 11:18 PM
Kellyp:  what store in Canada is carrying Carpe Diem?

Recent Posts