Can anyone recommend a wooden or metal frame that can be adjusted for firmness?
May 2, 2011 5:18 PM
I am currently using the following configuration which is working great for me (from the top down):

*1" of Natural Talalay - 32 ILD

*1" of Talalay, maybe Talatech, not sure - around 28-34 ILD.

*2" (approximately) of firm Dunlop (it's supposed to be 32 ILD but it feels more like 36 or 38ILD to me.

A frame like this from IKEA except mine does not have the 5 zones, mine is the same top to bottom, but bowed wood like this. I could not find it at IKEA's site, I think they no longer carry it but this is the closest thing to it.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60125969

As it turns out, for me, "less is more". I have tried up to 6" of various latex layers and/or memory foams of various ILD's and densities over the years, over springs from various manufacturers, with wool and other toppers... and in the end this cheap and simple combination above has worked for me the longest. I am afraid to even write this as in the past every time I announced I found something that worked, it quit working for me shortly thereafter. But this time I have been using this for at least a couple months with no changes required.

In fact, due to the bowed wood design I am skeptical that this foundation (linked above) will keep working for me for a long time and so I want to be ready with a replacement that might last longer but has a similar feel. I suppose I could just buy another bowed wood frame like it, as in the link. But I am thinking that an adjustable frame might be a better solution. (not adjustable as in sitting up in bed, etc., just adjustable as in varying the firmness of the foundation). I am afraid any bowed wood will not keep its feel/firmness for a long time. Maybe I'm wrong on that but that's my concern.

Any ideas?

This message was modified May 2, 2011 by jimsocal
Re: Can anyone recommend a wooden or metal frame that can be adjusted for firmness?
Reply #1 May 2, 2011 9:02 PM
Hi Jim--Congratulations on your success.  As an "old timer" here, I know what a struggle it has been for you.  Unfortunately, I'm not there yet.  European Sleepworks In Berkeley sells an adjustable base with the middle third only being the adjustable part.  I have their Nordic mattress and slat system with I purchased 9 years ago.  The mattress didn't work for me, but my son sleeps on it and likes it.  So far, it has held up well and there has not been a problem with the slats.  

http://sleepworks.com/design/slats.htm

Re: Can anyone recommend a wooden or metal frame that can be adjusted for firmness?
Reply #2 May 2, 2011 10:40 PM
If you look back at the helpful posts from Phoenix, he eventually settled on the Reverie adjustable frame. Maybe more expensive than you were looking for, but fwiw:

http://www.usbeds.com/reverie_deluxe_adjustable_bed_with_wireless_control_and_massage-9981.aspx

Check out the thread called "My Mattress Arrived" for more information, if you're interested in more details.

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-mattress-arrived/15666-A-1.html

It appears to me, after reading this forum for awhile, he engaged in an extensive search and really did his homework!  I've learned a lot from reading his informative posts, as well of those of Budgy et al.....

Good luck! and please keep us posted!

Reply #3 May 2, 2011 11:52 PM
IKEA is probably a good source in getting high bang for your buck.

Some bases that I've never seen in person (do not even know who sells the Roewa) but look very intriguing:

http://www.roewa.com/en/bedsystems/legra/slatted_frames/legra_slatted_frames.shtm

They have many models that look like fascinating designs.

and

http://www.swisssleepsystem.com/slat_base_adjustable_beds.html

Reply #4 May 3, 2011 6:20 PM
Hi Jim, glad to hear it is working out for you.  It sound like your setup is much firmer than you use to have?  I remember at one point that you hated to use that dunlop.  Not sure if you bowed wood base is firmer or softer than you old coils?

I have no idea on a replacement frame.  The ikea one is so inexpensive that even if it only worked a couple of years it might be worth it to just keep replacing it.

I know that Flobeds sells and adjustable euroslat foundation.  It is pretty expensive and I am not sure if it flexs enough for what you are looking for.

I am still using about 4" of latex + 1" of 5.9lb memory foam directly on Sealy springs.  I am pretty have with the setup, so I  continue to go with it.  At some point I might try with 1" less to see how I like a firmer more minimal approach as well.  In the past I have not liked that as much.

This message was modified May 4, 2011 by sandman
Reply #5 May 8, 2011 5:07 AM
Thanks for the replies! I haven't much time lately for checking forums, thus the slow response.

I'll check out the foundations links.

Yes, at first the Dunlop was too hard for me but somehow I got used to it - maybe it softened up some? - or maybe the bowed wood softens it up enough for me.

2" of Talalay on top of the Dunlop seems to soften it up enough. The reason I went to a firmer mattress was that I kept having lower back pain and I remembered the lesson learned here in my own and others' threads: "If you are getting lower back pain your mattress is probably too soft." So I forced myself to try the more firm mattress and it seems to work.

Is this configuration perfect? Unfortunately no. I still wake up sometimes with back pain - especially if I sleep more than 8 hours. But that's a lot better than only getting 4-5 hours of decent sleep like I used to get.

I am working on this theory:

"With foam, less is more." If it is a high quality foam, you don't need a lot of it. I never really understood the idea of having a 9" latex core for example. Unless you weigh 300lb anything more than 6" just seems superfluous. Again this is just my theory, I don't really know. But it seems to me that using the minimum amount of foam works better for me than using 5-6" or more of it.

I am however anxious to try pocket springs. I had a Simmons many years ago that I hated. But it was a cheap one and I also think Sterns & Foster pocket coils may be better since they are of a higher gauge wire, and some have the Intellicoil spring within a spring system where they create a spring within a spring all from one piece of wire in one continuous turn. But in the interim, I may try an adjustable foundation with the latex configuration I have now.

Reply #6 May 10, 2011 4:34 PM
princesspea wrote:

Hi Jim--Congratulations on your success.  As an "old timer" here, I know what a struggle it has been for you.  Unfortunately, I'm not there yet.  European Sleepworks In Berkeley sells an adjustable base with the middle third only being the adjustable part.  I have their Nordic mattress and slat system with I purchased 9 years ago.  The mattress didn't work for me, but my son sleeps on it and likes it.  So far, it has held up well and there has not been a problem with the slats.  

http://sleepworks.com/design/slats.htm

Hi, princesspea. I am like the Prince and the Pea and can feel very slight changes in my mattress configuration. Therefore I am skeptical about this design as it has those adjustment thingins on top of the boards. Since I am using only 4-5" of latex on top of the frame I am concerned that I would feel those little humps that are used to adjust the foundation. I wish to find something similar but without any humps or bumps on TOP of the foundation which I might feel under such a relatively thin layer(s) of latex.

Reply #7 May 10, 2011 4:37 PM
weewillywinky wrote:

If you look back at the helpful posts from Phoenix, he eventually settled on the Reverie adjustable frame. Maybe more expensive than you were looking for, but fwiw:

http://www.usbeds.com/reverie_deluxe_adjustable_bed_with_wireless_control_and_massage-9981.aspx

Check out the thread called "My Mattress Arrived" for more information, if you're interested in more details.

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-mattress-arrived/15666-A-1.html

It appears to me, after reading this forum for awhile, he engaged in an extensive search and really did his homework!  I've learned a lot from reading his informative posts, as well of those of Budgy et al.....

Good luck! and please keep us posted!

Thanks Weewilly, but this is way too expensive and I don't want to pay for an adjustable base when I am just looking for a flat base. However, I DO want to get a good adjustable base, put latex and memory foam on it and use it as a La-Z-Boy for my living room! But I'll just get a cheap adjustable base for that.

Unfortunately none of these recommendations are what I am looking for. I will do a net search. But I appreciate the suggestions.

I am perhaps unduly "paranoid" that I would feel these little adjustment things in these wooden slat foundations. If I did not feel them then this might work for me but since they do not have a sleep trial I won't risk it. Or I assume they do not have a sleep trial. I did not see this highlighted on any of the pages.

I once saw a slatted foundation here that was adjustable not by sliding little thingies on the slats themselves but was adjustable from the side of the foundation where one would not feel any humps or bumps on top of the slats. If I were using 6" or more of latex or ? then I would not be concerned about these little bumps but with only 4-5 inches of latex on top of the foundation I am afraid I might feel these "adjustment bumps".

I will do a search on the net and see if I can find the design I am looking for that I saw posted here once. The search function here is less than optimal so I'll try a google first.

Thanks for the suggestions even though they are not what I was hoping for.

This message was modified May 10, 2011 by jimsocal

Recent Posts