Build-a-bed...
Nov 5, 2008 10:12 AM
After reading at length here about the various options, I think we have decided to "build-a-bed"  If only it were that easy <sigh>.  Currently on a 7 yo Bassett pillowtop (Sealy?) that is sagging and oddly leaning to the right?!  In any case, I believe it to be a major contributor to my low back pain/sciatica.  Ive had problems on and off since an injury about 9 years ago.  I wake up basically crippled and unable to walk.  After several hours of "moving" I feel just fine...  Starts over next morning.  The only time I actually have the pain at this point is when I am lying in the bed.  Once Im up, its just a matter of getting myself to walk "straight" again.  Enough of that...

Stats:  me:  5'6', 140 lbs, female, side sleeper, low back pain.   Spouse:  6'0', thin (170?), side back and stomach sleeper.  Both of us seem to prefer a bit firmer sleep surface as we both feel we sleep best in the camper (2 inches of 10yo PU over plywood ;)  )  Wouldnt want to sleep on it every night though.

My impression from reading is that latex may not be my friend.  I am planning on trying one however.

Will a store tryout really tell me if latex will be a problem for my back? or would it take longer?

At this point am assuming we will get a firm supportive quality bed and build comfort layers on top (questions on that below).  I have taken the liberty of ordering the 1 " memory foam topper from overstock for $49 already.  Good?

Should I assume I will need and go ahead and order a latex topper?  1"? 2"?  These are quite a bit more expensive, so I hesitated before ordering.  Which ILD/thickness should I start with?

Firm supportive base bed:

This is what I think I need to look for in a bed (PLEASE correct me if Im wrong, this is all new to me)...
--higher coil count (close to 800 for a queen)
--higher gauge (13-15?)
--NOT pocket coils, more of an semi-attached coil system?
--lowest amount of additional comfort pad I can get (boxtop)...how much is too much here?

Am I missing anything important here?  I have looked for a local manufacturer (we are in Salt Lake City) and have had no luck.  Most seem to just re-sell rather than manufacture other than visco beds.  So it looks like Im stuck with the "s" companies.  Seems Simmons gets best ranking, but they do pocket coils? so Im confused about that...

I have access to RC Willey, Sears, Ikea, Macys, Costco...

Thanks for any help!

Recent Posts