BED AND MATTRESS BUYING NIGHTMARE!
Jan 23, 2016 3:42 PM
Why is that POCKET SPRUNG MATTRESSES are so popular over OPEN COIL type mattresses?. I find the pocket sprung type far to firm and uncomfortable and therefore they, create pressure points especially around the hip area. During my earlier years I bought a Silentnight ULTIMATE SLEEP SYSTEM bed which had an open coil spring system in the mattress including a zonal extra support in the middle of the mattress. This bed also had a sprung base. THIS BED GAVE ME THE BEST NIGHTS SLEEP I HAVE EVER HAD!. Unfortunately these beds are no longer available so I decided to go for a pocket sprung bed which proved to be a terrible mistake!. This was a Sealy with a comfort rating of "medium" with a platform base. This was like lying on a slab of concrete and killed my back, so I had to invest in 2 memory foam mattress toppers which didn`t help much. After 2 years I couldn`t stand it anymore and decided to buy a RELYON mattress online with a comfort rating of SOFT (pocket springs again with mini pocket springs in the pillow top). This was a bit softer than the Sealy BUT still created pressure points and pain in the lower back area. After a few months I then replaced the original platform base with a Hypnos sprung edge base to try and make the overall bed softer and more comfortable, but STILL the bed is uncomfortable. All this has cost me £2,000. I HATE pocket sprung beds as they are always too firm and would never buy one again.. I am moving home soon and will be glad too see the back of my mattress (I am taking the new sprung base with me). I will then invest in a SILENTNIGHT miracoil medium feel mattress with OPEN coil springs...and will at last get a good nights sleep?. One other point...pocket sprung mattresses are so heavy and very difficult to rotate/turn by yourself....the open coil ones are much lighter and easier to turn. IF anyone else has experienced any of the problems described here or can offer any advice about pressure relieving mattresses/beds I would be very grateful to hear from you...thanks!.

Recent Posts