Axel Bloom Adjustable Bed
Jul 10, 2011 10:08 PM
My husband and I just bought Axel Bloom adjustable beds (2 twin XLs) and while it's only been a few nights since we've slept on them, the beds appear to be worth every penny we paid for them.  They were expensive, relative to buying a Beautyrest mattress and box spring, but less expensive than the Kluft system I saw advertised for $23,000.  And right now we would say that the Kluft bed couldn't be any more comfortable than the Axel Bloom, plus the AB is adjustable while the Kluft is not.  Overall, the AB beds (frame and mattress) have the trim outline of a platform bed:  the frame consists of Tectel cushion elements, each of which is about as wide as an open hand.  The mattresses, made of breatheable foam, rest on the cushion elements and themselves are about 8 inches deep.  It's very easy to make the beds, just as it's very easy to move the beds around.  That's all there is to the system:  a frame and a mattress.  But the technology makes the system.  The motor is very quiet; there is no creaking and no groaning as the bed adjusts.  And unlike the latex bed that was put out to the curb this bed generates no heat thanks to the ventilations channels that go through the foam mattress.  As for comfort:  hard to believe that mattresses that are as thin as these are could be so comfortable.  But they are.  Will they hold up over time?  The latex bed lasted 4 years (if that) and sagged so badly that we flipped it over.  We expect the AB beds to do better than that.

The Axel Bloom showroom is located in west Los Angeles so we were able to see the beds and talk to Yong Lee (the president of the company).  He answered every question and let us convince ourselves that it was the bed for us.  There is no 30 day trial period and they do not accept returns so they do stress that you take your time in making your decision to buy.  They ship all over the country.  If you're interested, check out their website at axelbloom.com. 

Re: Axel Bloom Adjustable Bed
Reply #4 Jul 19, 2011 10:33 PM
"simplemind" makes an excellent point about the Axel Bloom bed: it does indeed sleep temperature neutral.  And what a pleasure that is!!  Our previous latex bed generated so much heat that I found myself flipping back and forth all night, never realizing that it was the bed!!!   As I said in my review we got the Axel Bloom twin xls pushed together and it is a delight to make the bed so easily.  The only little concern I had before purchasing the twin xls was "where does the cat sleep?"  "SleepsWithCats" will be happy to know that she found a spot -- right up by my pillow.  We've had the beds a couple of weeks so we can't make any comments about how the long term, but we're off to a great start.  Having researched every bed I could think of (including the Hypnos bed QE II sleeps on), I am more than satisfied with the decision to go with the Axel Bloom.  The saleslady at AB asked me how much a good night's sleep was worth.  It's priceless --- and anyone who's spent countless nights tossing and turning knows it. 

The only other thing I'll comment on is how truly marvelous it is to be able to adjust the bed to that exact point of perfection where head, shoulders, hips and legs are all comfortable.  My husband was sold on getting an adjustable bed long before I was, but now that I'm sleeping in one --- it couldn't be any other way.

Reply #5 Jul 20, 2011 8:16 PM

SoCalGal I to am looking at a Axel Bloom bed. Would you please tell us about  which foam mattress and how it compairs to latex. Is it soft firm? Thanks Tim.

This message was modified Jul 20, 2011 by dudley9007
Reply #6 Jul 20, 2011 8:53 PM
Tim:

The mattresses we bought (twin xl) are a high grade foam.  They aren't latex at all and have air pockets for ventilation.  It must work.  I can sure tell the difference between the latex mattress we had and the AB foam.  As for firmness:  take your pick.  I opted for firm, my husband chose medium firm.  They also offer "hard as a brick" but Yong Lee says he rarely recommends it.  I should also point out that AB offers coil spring systems (the Berlin line) that are adjustable and they look pretty conventional:  mattress and box spring.  I stretched out on the coil spring mattress but frankly I kept going back to the practicality of that Austroflex narrow profile and the ability to flip the mattress without incurring a hernia.  We have hardwood floors and have now put sliders under the feet.  It is effortless to move the beds around.  Young folks may not have to think about such things, but they become real considerations for baby boomers and beyond.

Reply #7 Jul 20, 2011 9:44 PM

SoCalGal do you have the AB 180 foam mattress? If so how is the comfort? Thanks Tim.

Reply #8 Jul 21, 2011 4:45 PM
Have to make a correction:  the Berlin system has a coil spring mattress but no box spring.

The mattress is designated as AFX EMC 180.  If you go online to axelbloom.com/adjustable-beds or axelbloom.com/european-mattress (both addresses truncated on my printout), you'll get information.  I just poked around online, trying to zero in on as much info as I could find.  I thought the catalog could have been a little clearer, but then it's no small feat trying to figure out the Beautyrest line.  Beautyrest must have at least 20 or 30 different beds for 2011.  By comparison AB is a lot simpler.  There are a handful (2 handfuls?) of mattresses that can be combined with the different adjustable frames and it was a very fast process of switching the mattresses around to different bed frames.  I think both my husband and I each made 2 switches before settling on the combinations we bought.

While trying to figure out which combination of mattress and frame each of us wanted, we were aware that the AB policy is no returns and no exchanges.  But we felt no pressure in making a decision.  Neither Yong Lee nor any of the other sales people apply any pressure ---  like, hurry up and make a choice!  Yong Lee also explained that if the mattress doesn't quite fit the bill, we could remove the cover and replace sections of the mattress with firmer or softer foam.  Knowing that there was a recourse should either of us miss the mark was really quite a relief.  Realistically - and this forum reflects this - you test the bed but you don't know for weeks or months if you made the right choice in picking the mattress. 

Reply #9 Jul 21, 2011 8:19 PM

SoCaGal thanks for your insight will be talking to Mr Lee soon. May have more ? later if thats ok.  Tim

Reply #10 Jul 29, 2011 6:47 PM

SoCaGal I am thanking about Axel Bloom mattress like you have. Could you please tell me how firm 180 mattress is. How good does it sleep? Thanks Tim

Reply #11 Jul 30, 2011 6:23 PM
The Axel Bloom bed is the best we've ever had.  I don't know if the comfort is mainly in the foam mattress or in the support provided by the pods (in the frame).  Maybe it's the combination working together.  I am sleeping on a firm (180) and it is very comfortable.  It's not rock hard at all.  And it was a pretty quick process to find the correct adjustment for head, shoulders and torso.

I continue to congratulate us for buying a bed that is not only comfortable but is easy to move around.  I look at ads for the monster mattress/box spring combos and can't imagine going back to one of those. 

Reply #12 Jul 30, 2011 8:54 PM

SoCalGal  thank you.

Reply #13 Mar 12, 2020 3:47 PM
My wife and I live in South Florida and recently bought the adjustable Split Queen AB bed, We love seeing the positive reviews on the system. We are excited to receive it in a couple of weeks.

Our question: we bought the 800 mattress 8" thick and are having a hard time finding split sheets w/ a shallow pocket. Suggestions? or shall we buy the only ones we can find (good for 12-18") and use mattress tensioning straps underneath to keep the fitted sheets taught?

Thanks
Rod, Rhonda

Recent Posts