Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate?
Aug 28, 2014 1:39 AM
I'm thinking of buying a 2" 4 lbs. density "blue" plush memory foam topper from FoamByMail. My question: How much should this weigh in a King size? Are their toppers usually the weight that they state?
Re: Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate?
Reply #1 Aug 28, 2014 7:18 PM
You would have to get exact measurements, but I estimate a little over 28 lbs.  2" King about 7.03 cubic feet of foam. 

By the way, density won't necessarily dictate feel.  I had 4lb that felt a bit firmer than a 5lb more breathable memory foam.  My general findings have been that foams that are supposedly built to breathe more tend to offer less support.  My theory is that something has to be compromised to make it more breathable.  

Costco use to have a pretty good 4lb.  Good return policy too. 

Reply #2 Aug 28, 2014 8:32 PM
Sandman, I was thinking specifically of this one at FoamByMail in 2" and King. It doesn't mention that it's anything but regular memory foam. Not open-celled. I would just be worried that a regular memory foam topper in 5bs. might be too firm. I want something a bit softer for my shoulder and hips.

https://www.foambymail.com/V_4/4lb-memory-foam-topper.html
Reply #3 Aug 29, 2014 3:39 PM
BeddyBye wrote:

Sandman, I was thinking specifically of this one at FoamByMail in 2" and King. It doesn't mention that it's anything but regular memory foam. Not open-celled. I would just be worried that a regular memory foam topper in 5bs. might be too firm. I want something a bit softer for my shoulder and hips.

https://www.foambymail.com/V_4/4lb-memory-foam-topper.html

It really depends on how they make it.  I had a 5 lb that seemed too firm, and a current one at 5.8 that I like.  A 4lb from costco that I liked for years.  A 5 pound breathable that seemed too soft.   So, all over the map.   Hard to generalize just based on density. 

Reply #4 Aug 31, 2014 6:12 PM
How is one supposed to know the right one to choose then if density isn't an accurate measure of firmness, etc? It would be nice to have some consistency especially when ordering online. There's a Serta Deluxe 2 inch 4 lbs. memory foam topper on Overstock selling just for $89.99 for a King. (On sale for $10 off.)
When I called them to verify the weight, they told me it was 22 lbs. Thats the same weight as my King 3 lbs. memory foam topper. Or a Queen. A King 4 lbs. should weigh over 28 lbs. This topper got numerous positive reviews, but unless they changed their density,these folks are reviewing a 3 lbs. topper and not a 4.
Reply #5 Sep 1, 2014 4:16 PM
And then there is IFD to consider. Sheesh. How is one supposed to know THOSE numbers? They don't usually list that. I realize that density alone isn't what determines softness or firmness. So one topper listed at 4 lbs. can feel different than another one at the same weight density because the IFD might not be the same. How does one know what they're getting then, especially when it's online?
Reply #6 Sep 2, 2014 4:07 PM
BeddyBye wrote:

And then there is IFD to consider. Sheesh. How is one supposed to know THOSE numbers? They don't usually list that. I realize that density alone isn't what determines softness or firmness. So one topper listed at 4 lbs. can feel different than another one at the same weight density because the IFD might not be the same. How does one know what they're getting then, especially when it's online?

According to FBM website, both 4 and 5 lb have ~14 IFD.  My guess though is that they will feel a bit different. 

Unfortunately, trying is sometimes only way to know which you prefer.  But we are talking about smaller differences.  Most memory foams are soft compared to a firm latex. 

Reply #7 Sep 4, 2014 5:37 PM
@Sandman:

Thank you so much for your reply. In the meantime, Chris at FoamByMail has been graciously answering my questions about their toppers. He said the same thing as you did. All their memory foam toppers are 14 ILD or IFD. He said they feel very similar. The biggest difference is durability between the three densities. He suggested a 3 in h for the best performance if I'm a side sleeper. However, the 2" 3 lbs. Sealy I have seems to be working under the thick CuddleBed fiber mattress cover. It's sitting atop a 1.5 inch firm Omalon topper. The bed is 2 layers of 36 ILD Talalay latex over 1 inch high density poly foam and heavy springs. Since this topper was such a bargain, I might just stick with it and if I feel the need to, order a 4 lbs. density topper from FoamByMail later. Chris was very helpful and I felt like he was giving me the correct information. And, you, too! Thanks again!

Recent Posts