Anyone know a source for a 5-7" Omalon core?
May 11, 2009 2:07 PM
My latest recommendation from a very knowledgeable foam expert is that I try an Omalon core. Problem is, I can't seem to find one anywhere. I've looked all over the net this morning with no success.

Anyone know where I can get Omalon in anything other than a 1-2" topper?

Thanks.
Re: Anyone know a source for a 5-7" Omalon core?
Reply #9 May 31, 2009 6:01 AM
Jim, let us know how you like that Venus foam. 1" is supposedly the equivilent of 2" of other foam. I was kind of tempted by the excellent pricing and the extra discount to get that Sensus foam from Overstock, but it's old technology visco and highly temperature sensitive and I really don't want the extra heat in my bed. Venus is supposed to be more temperature neutral. And I also like the idea of more support and less foam. By the way, were you aware that Foamex, the manufacturer of Sensus and Venus went bankrupt, so maybe that's where Overstock got the foam?
Reply #10 Jun 3, 2009 9:25 PM
I think Foamex went bankrupt awhile back and pulled through...they used to make beds!!!  They stopped that.   What is Omalon?
Kait
Reply #11 Jun 4, 2009 7:09 PM
Kait,
Omalon is a type of foam made by Carpenter. They manufacture it so that it's cell structure is elongated. This allows it to have a more consistent support without bottoming out with more pressure, and supposedly wears better than other pu foam.  It's main use has been high grade carpet foam.

Here is a link:
http://www.carpenter.com/divisions/bedding/omalon.php
This message was modified Jun 4, 2009 by jankdc
Reply #12 Jun 4, 2009 10:58 PM
Sounds like cool stuff.  Hard to tell by the description whether it is a gimmick or not.  The Carpenter site says they make bed pads and such, which might be good to try(for me).  Also, President' Reagans saddle was padded with this foam...since I make saddles, maybe they'll talk to me about their foam.  Always looking for better products to use.  I have never heard of it before.
Kait
Reply #13 Jun 5, 2009 5:49 AM
BeddyBye--who was having such a hard time with her custom made innerspring/latex hybrid mattress bought one of the Omalon toppers when JC Penney was closing them out and absolutely loved the support it offered. I think it solved her problem! I've long regretted not having ordered one when I had the chance. Who knew Carpenter was going to stop making them? They are still making Omalon in carpet padding--wonder if that feels the same as the topper?

On the Foamex bankrupcy--this is the second time they've filed. I couldn't find a whole lot on the subject, but one article seemed to suggest they were selling off their assets, so maybe it's permanent this time. What a shame. First Dunlopillo and now Foamex.

Reply #14 Jun 8, 2009 6:08 PM
I still have not gotten an email back from Carpenter re getting Omalon. If they are no longer making it, then I guess I won't be able to get any.
It is not only made for furniture, it used to be made for toppers. I have one of the toppers but my wife is using it. I always thought it was too hard for a topper, but I can see where it might make a good core base.

I'm going to call my foam distributor today to see if he might know where to get some.
Reply #15 Jun 9, 2009 10:59 PM
Second time bankruptcy for Foamex...that's not good.  It sure seems that the real qualtiy products just can't compete with the cheapies.  Sigh.
Reply #16 Jun 23, 2009 5:16 PM
You're right, cloud9! I am STILL loving my Omalon topper! The other day I removed my Ultimate Cuddlebed topper to launder it and noticed the Omalon topper is as good as new. Not one indentation or compression. They stand true to their word! The combination of the Cuddlebed and the Omalon topper, as well as my latex and coil mattress is absolutely PERFECT! I have a king Omalon topper which fits to a T over both my husband's and my XL mattresses, helping to bring blend them together even more. After I bought this, I quickly purchased two more in XL Twin size in case I ever want to open up my zippered mattresses and add them to my latex layers. So far, I haven't found the need to. Anyway, Omalon was the answer to my prayers! I'm sorry others weren't able to discover this "miracle". :( Maybe they'll bring it back one of these days! Keep checking!

cloud9 wrote:
BeddyBye--who was having such a hard time with her custom made innerspring/latex hybrid mattress bought one of the Omalon toppers when JC Penney was closing them out and absolutely loved the support it offered. I think it solved her problem! I've long regretted not having ordered one when I had the chance. Who knew Carpenter was going to stop making them? They are still making Omalon in carpet padding--wonder if that feels the same as the topper?

On the Foamex bankrupcy--this is the second time they've filed. I couldn't find a whole lot on the subject, but one article seemed to suggest they were selling off their assets, so maybe it's permanent this time. What a shame. First Dunlopillo and now Foamex.
This message was modified Jun 23, 2009 by BeddyBye
Reply #17 Jun 23, 2009 5:21 PM
My sensitive back can attest: It's WONDERRRRFUL!

Kait wrote:
Sounds like cool stuff.  Hard to tell by the description whether it is a gimmick or not.  The Carpenter site says they make bed pads and such, which might be good to try(for me).  Also, President' Reagans saddle was padded with this foam...since I make saddles, maybe they'll talk to me about their foam.  Always looking for better products to use.  I have never heard of it before.<BR>Kait
Reply #18 Jun 23, 2009 5:25 PM
I couple the Omalon topper with the Ultimate Cuddlebed topper and it's like having my very own, cushy, but VERY supportive pillow top for my mattress. And, the best thing---it never compresses! I swear by both of these products. I've washed the Cuddlebed and it's just as lofty and supportive as always. And the Omalon topper underneath the Cuddlebed is just the right density of firmness and cush for me. I bless the day I found this combination!

jimsocal wrote:
I still have not gotten an email back from Carpenter re getting Omalon. If they are no longer making it, then I guess I won't be able to get any. <BR>It is not only made for furniture, it used to be made for toppers. I have one of the toppers but my wife is using it. I always thought it was too hard for a topper, but I can see where it might make a good core base.<BR><BR>I'm going to call my foam distributor today to see if he might know where to get some.

Recent Posts