Anyone know how to build a DIY air-bed mattress
Oct 11, 2012 1:45 AM
I have slept on a firm Tempurpedic for years and the pain has hit my limits.  A few weeks ago, I bought a $20 air mattress and have slept on it for 2 weeks.  The ability to control the firmness has been great for me.  I have a 3 inch talalay latex on top of it. 

Does anyone know how to build a DIY air-bed mattress by purchasing the components online?  I have a King sized bed.  

I am thinking of buying two vulcanized rubber air bladders with a pump, place it on low level bed, put the talalay on top. I know it sounds ghetto but it could be substantially cheaper than buying all the other components that go with an air bed.

Thanks for your involvement in this forum and support.

This message was modified Oct 12, 2012 by davebarr7
Re: Anyone know how to build a DIY air-bed mattress
Reply #1 Nov 9, 2012 2:26 AM
I was really hoping there would be answers to this.... right now i'm buying coleman air mattresses but none of them hold air....  i get the best sleep on one of these air mattresses with 2 inches of memory foam on top... when my back hurts a bit, i just push on the pump and blow it up until my waist is supported and the pain goes away (i'm a side sleeper)

i would just like two single air mattresses with pumps you can push the button on in the middle of the night...

i can't use two twins because that adds up to a king size and i'm in an RV that only has a queen sized bed.

i found a couple single air mattresses on amazon.com but of course they don't ship to canada

but i don't want to spend 3 grand on a sleep number bed with memory foam, when all i need is an air mattress that won't lose air and has a pump

i just need... oh this mattress industry is a big scam i think... latex is too hard, memory foam sinks, spring mattresses are useless...

they know that we want single sized air mattresses because that's what they have in sleep number beds, but do they give them to us? no

anyway, i guess this is a dead thread, i'm just venting lol

Reply #2 Jul 27, 2013 11:40 AM
I am on my own quest for a new mattress... and just saw this topic. Don't know if either you, Elaine70, or the original poster will read this, but maybe this will help someone out there.

I've been through so many mattresses - the full size Walmart one (spring+some foam) is horrid, despite the lovely reviews (son is sleeping on it since he doesn't have anything else), cheapo latex (don't know if it was natural or not, or what grade it was), cheapo memory foam (hated it) both from Costco, and too many lousy spring mattresses. Was in the process of moving to a new apartment, so I pulled out an air mattress I had stored away, fully expecting it to deflate within a night or two & to end up in even more pain than usual (I have fibromyalgia and live in constant pain).

Well, it's been almost a month so far, and it hardly needs any more air... doesn't deflate & I'm finding it more comfortable than any of the many mattresses I've purchased in the past few years. It's an Intex brand, the cheapest twin air mattress they make. However, according to recent Amazon reviews, their quality control has gone down & people have been having problems with current made mattresses. I checked mine - it has 2010 date imprinted on it. Still thinking of buying another of the same kind, just in case I end up deflated overnight - I'm so disappointed that people are currently having problems with this product, as mine is terrific. (Of course, there is always Craigslist...)

Currently have a piece of foam my son had leftover from some chairs he was upholstering, so I'm using it as a makeshift topper until I can buy or make a long term one. I want as close to all organic as I can get, but cannot afford the prices. So now I'm considering sticking with the air mattress & adding a latex topper. Or a wool topper - or both, if I can afford it. I really wanted an all wool mattress - the handmade variety made in Europe by some of the old timers looks awesome & really stole my heart - but I can't afford buying one already made. Am still considering trying to make my own, using U.S. wool (imported wool is treated with too many chemicals, IMO), but it will be taking a chance to do that without actually laying on one to see how my body responds. I'm trying to find some wool mattresses in showrooms locally - or any all natural mattresses, for that matter - just to try out so I can determine what is best for me. I am a side sleeper, tall & heavy, and I already realize I need a firm base with a soft top to cushion those pressure points on my body.

Frankly, I agree that the mattress industry is a big scam, and I think my head is going to explode from all the information I've been reading in order to make a choice for my next mattress. Best of luck to everyone else out there who is doing the same.

threedogs

Elaine70 wrote:

I was really hoping there would be answers to this.... right now i'm buying coleman air mattresses but none of them hold air....  i get the best sleep on one of these air mattresses with 2 inches of memory foam on top... when my back hurts a bit, i just push on the pump and blow it up until my waist is supported and the pain goes away (i'm a side sleeper)

i would just like two single air mattresses with pumps you can push the button on in the middle of the night...

i can't use two twins because that adds up to a king size and i'm in an RV that only has a queen sized bed.

i found a couple single air mattresses on amazon.com but of course they don't ship to canada

but i don't want to spend 3 grand on a sleep number bed with memory foam, when all i need is an air mattress that won't lose air and has a pump

i just need... oh this mattress industry is a big scam i think... latex is too hard, memory foam sinks, spring mattresses are useless...

they know that we want single sized air mattresses because that's what they have in sleep number beds, but do they give them to us? no

anyway, i guess this is a dead thread, i'm just venting lol

This message was modified Jul 27, 2013 by a moderator
Reply #3 Jul 31, 2013 4:19 AM
One thing I would be careful of with diy air mattresses is using vinyl. Not sure if they make them of vinyl or not but I know vinyl is said to be very toxic and one would not want to breathe the off-gassing vinyl all night long every night. Just a word of caution.

Aside from that I would love to try an air mattress but they're so damned expensive!

Also I am interested in a water mattress. I slept on one for many years in my 20's and 30's and then had a couple leaks in a short time and gave up on them. However I never had back problems when sleeping on them. Is it coincidence, just that I was younger then, or are waterbeds better? I can't answer that. But like air mattresses, they are so over-priced these days, and hard to find. I haven't looked recently but even 5 years ago they were pretty rare.

I've heard both great things and bad things about SelectComfort air beds. If they weren't so over-priced I'd have tried one by now. Wish someone would make a good knock-off at a reasonable price. I seem to recall flobeds offering water beds at one time, (right?) but they were also over-priced imho.

This message was modified Jul 31, 2013 by jimsocal
Reply #4 Sep 5, 2013 12:04 AM
Hello, thanks for renewing my interest in airbbeds and the issue on this forum. 

Awhile back, I was researching airbeds and found some places that sell components. Here are some.

http://www.innomax.com/index2.php?crn=211

http://waterbeds-airbeds.com/airbeds_replacement_chambers.htm

http://www.creativebedrooms.com/dAbPrts.asp

http://www.airbedsunlimited.com/air-bed-replacement-parts.php

http://www.thewaterbeddoctor.com/airbed_replacement_parts.aspx

Here is some good info about airbeds in general ...

http://www.healthyfoundations.com/airbed.html

http://www.advancedinc.org/bed-info/

Best,

This message was modified Sep 5, 2013 by weewillywinky
Reply #5 Sep 7, 2018 12:49 AM
Hi,

To answer your question, yes, I do.

Steps:

1) buy the most inexpensive air mattress
2) constrain the air mattress with a cover which is smaller then the air mattress and very durable
3) add a topper
4) encase it all with a mattress pad cover which is 22" deep

The reason for the cover is to protect from holes and stop the side walls from expanding outwards which is why you would sink. Google soveiluften
This message was modified Apr 14, 2019 by mark225
Reply #6 Dec 7, 2018 7:49 AM
Thanks for sharing this question. I also need to get a clear answer to this query!

Recent Posts