Any way to salvage our Sealy Reflexion Huntington mattress?
Nov 21, 2007 10:56 PM
Our king mattress - two mattresses ago - lasted about 12 years, but then developed such deep body impressions my wife and I both woke up every morning in extreme pain. So I studied, read reviews, researched, read the forums here, and after months of that selected a Sealy Reflexion Latex mattress (KIng) in the hopes of having a mattress that would be comfortable, give us a good night's sleep, and resist body impressions (We're about 170 lbs for me, 140 lbs for her.) It felt WONDERFUL and we slept extremely well - but after only about 6 months some body impressions were starting to form, and the support started to feel not so great. Nothing deep enough for Sealy to do anything about it, though.

Now, it's 3 years later, and we wake up every morning sore and achey. We do not have the money right now to replace the mattress, unfortunately, so we need someway to get some support back if possible, to last us for about the next year. My wife was asking me if perhaps some type of topper would help? Understanding it won't be as good as a new mattress, but something that would provide perhaps some additional support and might lessen the body impressions?

Any thoughts or suggestions here would be most appreciated. I'm really dissapointed after doing so much research and still getting a mattress that lasted such a short time before being a problem, but we are where we are. Any help or suggestions for anything such as a specific topper that might help some would be most welcome.

Thanks - Jeff
Re: Any way to salvage our Sealy Reflexion Huntington mattress?
Reply #2 Nov 22, 2007 9:17 AM
To check the foundation, you can put the mattress on the floor and try that for a night.  If it feels better, your foundation has gone bad.

My guess is that Sealy used some cheap foam in there, either above or below the latex.  To determine if that is true, you would have to open up the case and look inside.  If you see something other than latex, that is probably what has failed.  If you are willing, you can dissect the mattress and replace that layer.  However it is time consuming and messy, plus your case will have to be sewn back together or you will need a new mattress case.

In your case, I hope the foundation is bad.

Reply #3 Nov 22, 2007 5:14 PM
Thanks - it appears to be, without taking the mattress apart, the upper layer(s) in which the body impressions have formed. Someone told me that, in the Huntington model, they used a cheaper latex in the top layer - sheesh, after all my research, I wish I had found that out before! It just feels as if the top layer, the layer on which we sleep, has softened up enough to form the body impressions and reduce the support. Ugh.

So a topper of some kind can't make up for that, I assume? <sigh>
Reply #4 Nov 23, 2007 9:42 AM
You would have to slice open the mattress and remove whatever foam has failed, and then add a topper to make the topper helpful to you.

If you put a topper on a "broken" bed it will just highlight the problem.

This message was modified Nov 23, 2007 by MequonJim
Reply #5 Nov 23, 2007 5:37 PM
Can't you get it fixed under warranty?
Reply #6 Nov 24, 2007 5:09 AM
Most of the Sealy latex beds have a super firm synthetic latex core over which they place the ubiquitous convoluted PU foam as a "comfort" layer. This is most likely what has developed a trench, not the latex.  A topper would simply conform to the body impression your mattress has already developed, and would probably cause you to hammock into an even deeper trench. About the only thing you can do at this point is remove the top and replace the foam over the latex, if you are so uncomfortable that you want to risk it. Until you open the top you have no way of knowing whether the foam is bonded to the latex or just placed on top of it. If it's bonded it could be difficult to separate and could damage the latex.

If you do remove it look into replacing it with a latex topper. The core of your mattress should last many years and you'd want to replace the crappy PU foam with a material of equal quality. If you decide to replace the entire mattress check out Flobeds or SleepEz. These companies manufacture mattresses that are all latex  with adjustable firmness.

Reply #7 Nov 24, 2007 11:42 AM
Talk to Sealy. Tell them it's shot. Ask how constructed. If they won't cover it, tell them what you intend to do to fix it, and also tell them you will be spreading the word on the internet via various groups that the mattress is a piece of cr*p.If unsuccessful, have it opened up. Even if PU is glued on, someone who workd with foam should be able to cut it off, and replace w/ latex yourself. Have a zipper added for future adjustments, or as noted above, buy a new encasement.
Reply #8 Nov 24, 2007 7:15 PM
I thought that contacting Sealy would indeed be the best approach - but then we discovered that somehow, during our recent move here to Kansas City, we can no longer locate the receipt. Ugh. So I am guessing that Sealy will basically say hey, no proof of when you bought it, too bad. Though I suppose that it only cost a phone call (if I can even find a phone number - companies tend to "hide" pretty well these days.)

Not sure if cutting open the thing and seeing if I can replace that top layer, etc. will be a viable approach. Again, my fault, but somehow I never saw that Sealy's "Latex" bed had a crappy PU top layer. My wife, when I mentioned cutting it open, said "and just what will we end up sleeping on tonight while you're still trying to put things together????" LOL!

Thanks for the replies folks. So - someone mentioned a couple of vendors: if we purchase a truly "all latex" bed, will we avoid this problem in the future? It is so discouraging to spend over $1000 on a king sized supposedly nice bed, and 3 years later be miserable on it. It makes you very nervous about the next purchase.

Thanks - Jeff
Reply #9 Nov 25, 2007 5:38 AM
Well it's understandable that you might be reluctant to cut your mattress open. That's kind of an "I've got nothing to lose at this point" venture.

You mentioned you recently moved, so you should know that most major brand mattresses are usually manufactured by regional factories. If you've moved out of the region you originally bought your mattress in you could have a hard time getting the local factory to cover your warranty. Unless the store you bought the mattress from will stand behind it  you are basically responsible for getting the mattress back to the factory that orignally made it. With something as big and heavy as a king size latex mattress this could be next to impossible.

Mattresses made by companies like Flobeds and SleepEz are 100% latex. They should last 20 years without sagging if they are placed on a proper frame and foundation that will adequately support their weight. If you do develop problems--and very soft latex will get body impressions--these companies are reputable businesses that will stand behind their warranties no matter where you live. Also it's really nice to be able to switch layers around until you get it exactly the way you like it, or if your needs change over the years. You may also be able to find a local vendor who manufactures their own all-latex mattresses. That way you can try before you buy. All-latex mattresses will feel different than your Sealy with it's PU comfort layer.

Reply #10 Nov 25, 2007 8:59 AM
jefflackey wrote:
 My wife, when I mentioned cutting it open, said "and just what will we end up sleeping on tonight while you're still trying to put things together????" LOL!

For the inspection, you can make the cut on the end of the mattress, not the top.  You could still sleep on the mattress.  If you decide to remove the failed foam, you could continue slicing around the edges and open it up like a can.  Leave one edge attached.  Pull out the foam, and flop the top of the mattress case back on.  Add some safety pins to keep it together.  You could even insert your replacement foam like that.  If you don't like the idea of sleeping on a sliced open mattress, you can get a new cover for it.

Latex will have pin holes all across the top and bottom of the foam.  It should either be off-white or light brown (sapsa).  Polyurethane foam can be any color and will not have holes in it.

If all of the layers of foam are glued together, it will be a difficult project.  That means the electric kitchen knife will be used to remove the PU foam, like filleting a fish.  Not for the faint of heart.  That would be a bold move, and a repair worth photographing for us and others.

Reply #11 Nov 25, 2007 12:53 PM
jefflackey,
We bought a Sealy Reflection Laguna Beach latex mattress three years ago.  It was a pillow top and didn't last as long as yours did.  Since we were at the nothing to lose place we cut the pillow top off the mattress.  The pillow top was nothing but cheap yellowing foam.  The rest of the mattress was a six inch base of Dunlop latex and three inches of Talalay.  The latex was in good shape so we used an electric craving knife and cut it in half.  It is now two twin mattresses on a day bed and trundle in DH office.
This message was modified Nov 25, 2007 by Beach_Lover

Recent Posts