Any experience with Original Mattress Factory Latex Mattress??
Jan 14, 2011 8:09 PM
Hello,

I stumbled upon this site while researching a new bed for my Wife & I.  I never realized how complex a decision choosing a mattress could be, but it makes sense to buy a good mattress and thoroughly research the available options.  Has anyone had any experience with this particular bed?

http://www.originalmattress.com/latex-foam/overview

We have an Original Mattress Factory store very near our home, in Mentor, Ohio.  It appears from the short time I've been on this site, that a latex bed is the most popular option.   Does anyone have any other suggestions for any other Mattress stores in the Mentor (Cleveland), Ohio area?

Thanks in advance for any advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Re: Any experience with Original Mattress Factory Latex Mattress??
Reply #1 Jan 14, 2011 8:55 PM
There is a list of some Ohio mattress manufacturers and retailers which carry "part latex" or "all latex" in reply #1 here some of which may be close enough to warrant a phone call and/or a visit.

I suspect that the Original Mattress Factory may be your best choice and also the best place to do some "testing" as they manufacture a wide range of mattresses including all latex and have very good value. Perhaps it may be worth phoning some of the others on the list (especially the local manufacturers) just to find out if they make an all latex mattress that is comparable in quality and price to any you may like at OMF just to validate your choices. You are fortunate that there is a manufacturer which has a wide range of mattresses and good value near you. It is likely that your only other "better value" option would be to order online and this of course is a little more difficult as you would need to know the approximate type and construction of mattress that was most suitable for you.

Phoenix

Reply #2 Jan 14, 2011 9:08 PM
Hello Phoenix,

Thanks for the quick reply, I just stumbled upon this place which is about an hour from my home.  I see that the Savvy Rest Serenity mattress gets very good review on this site, so maybe I will make a visit to this store

http://www.naturalbedco.com/showroom/

and try one out.  I hate to spend so much money without at least seeing how me, and most importantly, my Wife likes the mattress, LOL.  Thanks again for the reply and info.  

Steve

Reply #3 Jan 14, 2011 9:20 PM
The store you mentioned does carry savvy rest at prices a little less than the savvy rest website however they also carry other "latex" mattresses and tend a little towards "pressure" tactics and a bit of "misinformation" when you question them too specifically. Savvy rest itself also does not have the value of many other choices in latex that are available to you but they do provide a good testing ground if the outlet you are going to carries both their Talalay and Dunlop versions. If you choose to go there for "testing" I would make a strong committment to yourself not to buy anything until you have gone home and done some further research and comparison ... no matter what you are "offered".

Phoenix

This message was modified Jan 14, 2011 by Phoenix
Reply #4 Jan 15, 2011 6:20 AM
Hi Phoenix, thank you so much for the information.  I guess I'll look around a bit in my area, there must be some good mattress stores in my area..I know it's going to be a bit like buying a used car, LOL...I'll just read this board a bit more so I don't make any expensive mistakes...Thanks again and good luck with your future ventures..

Steve

Reply #5 Jan 15, 2011 8:32 AM
desmoface wrote:

Hello,

I stumbled upon this site while researching a new bed for my Wife & I.  I never realized how complex a decision choosing a mattress could be, but it makes sense to buy a good mattress and thoroughly research the available options.  Has anyone had any experience with this particular bed?

http://www.originalmattress.com/latex-foam/overview

We have an Original Mattress Factory store very near our home, in Mentor, Ohio.  It appears from the short time I've been on this site, that a latex bed is the most popular option.   Does anyone have any other suggestions for any other Mattress stores in the Mentor (Cleveland), Ohio area?

Thanks in advance for any advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Steve

My wife and I have had experience with both of these mattresses over the last 7 months.  To make a long story short, after spending hours in the store laying on them both, we chose one of each in a Twin XL to replace our king sized bed.  She chose the latex and I chose the latex supreme.  We also got the adjustable beds in hopes that it would make sleeping on them even more comfortable for our aging bodies.  I am a side sleeper hoping to be able to sleep on my back and relieve some pressure from a bad shoulder and help my bad back (bulging disk).  As it turns out, I'm sleeping on the "plain" latex (with added latex layers) and she is now sleeping on the supreme (thanks to her giving up her firmer mattress...which she agreed was too firm for her too).  I'm pretty comfortable now but still sleeping on my side and my wife complains about her rear end sinking in a little too much on the supreme but she elevates the bed a little, while I can only sleep about 3 hours or so on my back before I wake up and "level" it to sleep the rest of the night on my side.

First of all, they seem to be well made mattresses and the company has been great to work with.  My only problem is the mattresses have some poly foam in the top, which may be contributing to a little too much sinking on the supreme.  If I was going to do it again, I wouldn't get the supreme, and maybe not the adjustable beds....although my wife like it for watch TV before turning out the lights...so not sure I can take that away.  Having two twins is much easier to deal with when moving beds around and I don't regret getting rid of the king size bed mattress.  We are definitely better off than our previous "S" brand mattress and sleeping better without the pains.

As far as the mattresses, the "plain" latex is a little too firm and the supreme is a little too soft.  I ended up actually adding about 3" of soft latex purchased on line and another 1" of SLAB 14 ILD latex to the top of the "plain" latex to get to where I am now.  I know this sounds weird, but there is just something different about the latex  vs the poly foam they put on top.  (We also have the Dormier mattress cover)  I think next time, I would either go with someone who could customize my mattresses or do one of the on-line companies where I build my own (since I now have several layers of latex to work with).   For the money, and for those who don't want or need to go through all the customization, it is a good company and they sell good mattresses.  I would definitely go there to check out latex and before I would buy any "S" brand mattress again.  My father and his wife also bought from them and they both ended up adding a couple of inches of memory foam to get their "plain" latex mattresses to the right softness.  I don't recommend the memory foam idea personally, since we actually tried memory and it just made things worse for me.

There are some excellent suggestions on this forum for mattresses and you should be able to find something comfortable at a reasonable price.  That doesn't necessarily mean, at a cheap price.

I hope this helps.

This message was modified Jan 16, 2011 by Sall
Reply #6 Jan 15, 2011 10:05 PM
Hi Sall,

Thanks for the reply and your advice..It's invaluable as I'm just starting to learn about mattresses.  I plan on researching (reading) the board thoroughly before making any decisions.  Thanks again to all who replied with their advice, it is surely appreciated.

Steve

Reply #7 Jan 15, 2011 10:46 PM
Since I'm still "free" to post for another day or two I can add a few more. Most of the mass merchandising outlets that are near you or Cleveland generally carry "S" brand mattresses. Just to add to the previous list though, here are a few more that carry latex "in some version" that may be helpful for either "testing", reference, or in helping you know if what someone calls an "all latex" mattress really is.

http://www.sleepsourceusa.com/mattresses.html Retailer. Carries Natura which has a wide range of latex and latex combinations that are very nice and clearly described (no poly in the comfort layers). May also carry Dormia which makes some latex mattresses but make sure you see a cutaway (showing the layers) on the Dormia as many of their mattresses (or Classic Brands which they are part of) are only partly latex.

http://www.northeastfactorydirect.com/contact.html Retailer. Carries Englander but be a little careful here since the Englanders have some polyform over the latex and depending on how thick and the type of polyfoam this could present a problem with durability (depressions) and could also lead to you believing you were feeling what latex felt like when it was the polyfoam you were feeling. Some have an inch or less ... some have more. The latex they use is generally Dunlop.

http://www.mattressshowcase.net/locations.shtml Retailer. Carries Therapedic and Englander. Therapedic has Talalay latex mattresses but unfortunately they all have at least 2" of polyfoam over the latex.

http://www.fishfurniture.com/Directions.htm Retailer. Carries Dormia (same comments as previously)

http://www.west25thfurnishings.com/bedding.html Carries Therapedic (see previous comments), Symbol (some part latex but all have at least 2" of poly on top), and Corsicana (some have a thin meaningless layer of latex)

http://www.eclipsemattress.com/store-locator/ National manufacturer. Owned by the same group that owns Therapedic and others. They appear to make all latex based on some of the descriptions here.  I would be a little careful since they may well have some polyfoam above the latex than has been "left out" of the description but there are 5 stores within 50 miles of you that carry them (if you put your zip into the eclipse retail finder they will come up).

http://www.aperfectmattress.com/contact.html Retailer. Carries Restonic which is some areas has all latex and in some areas has mostly latex (wih some poly on top). Also carries some local brands but doesn't say which on website.

My "personal" rule was no more than one inch of poly in the comfort layers and preferably none (as there are many available ... especially with an online purchase but also the better brands) that have good value and have no poly

If I come across any more I will add to the list.

Phoenix

This message was modified Jan 16, 2011 by Phoenix
Reply #8 Jan 16, 2011 7:13 PM
Hi Phoenix, thanks again for all the information..I was thinking of trying the Natural Bed Company as they seem to carry Savvy Rest, but I'm kind of reluctant because I don't care for pushy salesman.  I may visit some of the links that you provided just to see what they have.  Thanks again for all of your help.

Steve

Reply #9 Jan 16, 2011 8:08 PM
I would call him first (as I would with any outlet before I visited them) and see how you feel. My experience is that he can be quite "helpful" but tends to "control" the situation and doesn't like it a lot when his opinions are "challenged". I would avoid the Spring Air mattresses he carries and if he has a wide enough range of Savvy Rest ... then it would be very useful for testing ... even though I wouldn't buy them unless their value was comparable to other options you have.

With a comittment to yourself not to buy anything I would think he may be a good place to test different layerings.

If the Natura outlet also carries a range of their mattresses, they to would also be a very good place to visit.

These two ... along with The original mattress factory, which likely has the best value of any of your local outlets, are the 3 places I believe would be most valuable in terms of learning what type of mattress would be best for you.

One other that carries an all latex mattress that may be useful for testing is http://www.parkandvine.com/ which carries the White Lotus mattresses.

You should have enough choices with these to get a very good idea of the type of layering and construction that is most suitable

Phoenix

Reply #10 Jan 16, 2011 11:12 PM
The Natura mattresses look promising, and it appears that the "Sleep Source" is in my area.  Thanks again for all your help, I would have made a serious purchasing mistake had I not found this site. 

Steve

Reply #11 Jan 21, 2011 7:04 PM
Hi,

After countless hours of research, laying on countless beds, talking to many salespeople in stores, and on the phone at SleepEZ, Flow Beds, Habitat Furnishing etc I discoverd that the Original Mattress Factory had a great latex bed at a very reasonable price with great warranty and excellent customer service. I visited many ot their stores, asked questions and evey time they were knowledgeable and patient. If they didn't have an answer they called their factory while I was there to get the right answer to my question. They said I was the most educated consumer they had ever encountered. It was because I did massive research. We laid on their latex bed for hours several times. My wife has Fibromalgia issues and I developed Acid Reflux so we needed a bed that would eliminate pressure points and also be able to adjust as to position. They sell only the best adjustable bed the Legett and Platt Scape model. There price for the mattress was 650 for an xlong twin, we bought two to make a king size bed and two adjustable L&P bases for a total of $3500 set up and delivered by their delivery people. We are complety sastified after a week, the matress is amazing, no pain for my wife, no stiffness getting up in the morning and the adjustable aspect is an added bonus for us. You can check out Latex International as they list Original Mattress Factory as one of their distributors. The bed is Taladay latex, 6" latex foundation 32 LDL, 60% synthetic,and 40% natural with 1 and a 1/2 inch foam mattress cover that is on both sides as the bed can be flipped. Total thickness 9" We got their standard latex bed as the ultra plush was to soft for our personal liking. If you want a comfortable bed at a great price from a company that has simplified the buying process and has take the mystery out of latex buy from them.  

Recent Posts