Another Disenchanted Mattress Buyer Needs Help
Aug 31, 2009 2:59 PM
We have had two mattresses in eight years - the first was a Stearns &amp; Foster and the second was made for Storehouse by Carolina Mattress Guild. The first one got a bit lumpy, and the second one has left us with sagging sides, person-sized dents, and a nice hump in the middle of the mattress. Awesome.<BR><BR>We almost made the mistake of buying the same thing again (a pillowtop Simmons beautyrest) but fortunately I read epinions and then stumbled upon this site. Thank you for all of the great info! I've read through a lot of posts about mattress surgery and building your own mattress, and I'm interested in both of those ideas. I have no idea what kind of springs I'll encounter once we get up the courage to operate, so I want to be prepared to quickly move on building our own if the operation isn't successful.<BR><BR>1) What's it like sleeping on an all foam mattress after being used to coils? Any specific noteable difference? I think my husband is leary of ditching the coils. Is there a difference in feel in a latex core vs. a HR foam core?<BR><BR>2) If I'm going to do mattress surgery, should I start with just some firm HR foam and a topper? If so, how thick should the HR foam be to put over the coils? <BR><BR>3 ) We seem to like a firm mattress with a top that's softer. I was thinking of getting either a latex core or maybe a qualux HR foam core (or should I get 3&quot; of each? neither? or 3&quot; of medium latex and 3&quot; of firm? Can I even buy a 3" latex core?). For the top I though maybe 2&quot; of memory foam (Sensus perhaps?). We like the feel of memory foam on beds we've laid on, but we've never slept for a whole night on one, so we're not totally sold on memory foam. It's in our current mattress somewhere, but I bet it's so thin and well hidden that it doesn't help. Would some other foam provide a soft top that's still high quality?<BR><BR>Thank you for any help you can offer. I promise once we actually choose something I'll both take pictures and report back!
This message was modified Aug 31, 2009 by wifecat

Recent Posts