Acid Reflux Wedge Pillow
Nov 24, 2007 2:25 AM
Hello foam gurus - I need some advice on a slightly different use of foam.  I use a bed wedge to help prevent acid reflux issues.  I do NOT like the wedge I am currently using - it is a PU wedge that is 27" x 27" and 10" high that I ordered from here:
http://www.foamfabbed.com/cgi-bin/foam/scan/se=bedwed10pc/su=yes/ml=10/sp=w-wedge-bolster.htm

The specs say this wedge is "B Grade Foam", which they describe as: 
"Our B Grade Foam has a medium resiliency and density.  It has a density of 1.25 lbs. and an ILD of 30 - 35 lbs.  Generally, B Grade Foam will last 3 - 5 years but it depends upon the use and weight being supported.  Our B Grade Foam works great in any application like as both our A Grade Foam but with a shorter life span.  We recommend this type of foam in applications that are not used on a regular or daily basis."

There are 2 things I do not like about this wedge: 1) It is too firm, and 2) It is too high.  The result is that during the night I slide down and wake up with my head at the bottom of the wedge.  Also, since I am a side sleeper,  and I am waking up with pain in my shoulders - I think because of pressure points on my shoulders.

I have looked at many pillows and wedges that are specifically made for acid reflux, but they are all over the place - some seem to be made of really cheap materials, while others seem fairly high tech - but - they ALL seem way overpriced for what they are.  OTOH, the wedge I have now is one of the more reasonably priced ones - and I don't like it - so I'm ready to spend more if it will get me what I need.

So...  What should I be looking for in the specs for a new wedge?  Should I be looking for a wedge made from a higher quality PU or latex that has a bit lower ILD?  Or maybe a wedge similar to what I have now (but not as high) with a memory foam layer on top for more comfort?  I weigh about 200 pounds and I am a side sleeper - any help is very much appreciated!

This message was modified Nov 24, 2007 by BillyBob_jcv
Re: Acid Reflux Wedge Pillow
Reply #1 Nov 24, 2007 12:45 PM
Not knowing which options you have already rejected . . .

Geo Incline Foam Topper . . JC Penney . . Amazon reviews

Reply #2 Nov 25, 2007 6:00 AM
If you are looking for a good night's sleep, proper sleep posture is everything. Your mattress should help you obtain the proper posture for your position.
I used to manufacture a 30 degree wedge made out of Omalon and Reflex brand memory foam.  They seemed to help most gastric issues but Memoryfoam.com wasn't doing enough volume to dictate cutting and bonding them.  In addition the shape of the cover made the covers very pricey. 

There are wedges on the market that are designed to aid with positioning as well as elevation. They are concave in design across the width as well as a 30 degree elevation.  The models that I saw had a layer of convoluted foam for added comfort. These may help you stay on the wedge while sleeping.

This message was modified Nov 25, 2007 by Batman
Reply #3 Dec 22, 2018 7:15 AM
I also wanted to know that, and after reading this, this helps me a lot. thanks.

Recent Posts